Summer 2022 Transfer Window

1 hour ago, King Street Loon said:

I plan on listening to the episode today.

But it suggests the club recognised it as an issue and it's why they had the 'restructure' and brought in a new HoR. Its just unfortunate he wasn't in place in time to make an impact last summer. The 'hit' rate has been poor for quite some time, and we really need to see some major improvements on recruitment on that front.

Aye, Darren Mowbray had little or no influence on the clusterfuck summer transfer window.

The January window, it was patently obvious Glass wasn’t being backed. He should’ve been removed 2-3 weeks earlier & give JG & Mowbray the chance to bring in a couple of players maybe. 
We got caught between giving Glass the cup as a chance to redeem himself & the season , & not going gung-ho in the January window & ended made an arse of both. 

33 minutes ago, jamiesd said:

The whole system should of been restructured.  Id of cleared out all the youth coaches Simmie and all that and started afresh.  Look at our hit rate with Youngsters coming through that are ready for first team football.  Any other club and they can slot right in.  Some of these guys have been thrown in and honestly wouldn't of got a game for Broomhill Tower in Champion Street.  These guys have been comfortable for years.  I have nothing against any of them but our success rate is murder..

Just my opinion mind...

Partially agree.

It might be that the “pathways” approach, loaning out the young lads to Kelty, Peterhead etc might work?

Connor Barron has benefitted. 
Ryan Duncan at Peterhead seems to be doing well.
Evan Towler apparently doing well at Elgin?

That might help the development of the younger lads? 

38 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aye, Darren Mowbray had little or no influence on the clusterfuck summer transfer window.

The January window, it was patently obvious Glass wasn’t being backed. He should’ve been removed 2-3 weeks earlier & give JG & Mowbray the chance to bring in a couple of players maybe. 
We got caught between giving Glass the cup as a chance to redeem himself & the season , & not going gung-ho in the January window & ended made an arse of both. 

We paid a good fee and have Vini a 4 year deal on good money in January, which was a lot more than anyone outside the arse cheeks. We needed more but couldn't get it down to the total mismanagement of the budget from the summer. The chairman obviously felt he can't just keep chucking money at a manager he has little faith in now. 

Reports suggest he was already above budget before being backed to sign Bates, Watkins, Longstaff and Samuels at the end of the summer window, neither 4 would of been cheap. This leads on to how much was Brown, Gallagher, Jet etc earning from contracts handed out in the summer. Rumour is that Goodwin couldn't believe what certain players are getting paid and how we've utilised the budget. 

Big changes coming in the summer. 

5 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

There was a segment within the latest ABZ Podcast that focussed on our recruitment since the 2017 Cup final (the Rogic 93rd minute winner).

In that time, there’s been 61 transfers in & that includes players signing twice, such as on loan twice, or on loan, then a second time permanently.

It was a quick “hit/miss/maybe” verdict on all 61.

Some you could argue, but I agreed with about 90% of their verdicts.

Of the 61, only 10 were a “hit”.

And of the 10, only 1 was a hit from the current season.

That’s a fucking awful hit rate. 

Do we have any confidence that the massive summer rebuild will be any better? 

Thing is there's an element of gamble for every club on transfers; hits and misses at all levels. If you said celtic were signing a goalie for 4-5m would you expect him to be as shite as Barkas has been? Or Werner/torres at Chelsea? Happens it every club. And if we knew 51/61 wouldn't be a hit we wouldn't sign them in the first place. Recruitment is probably the hardest part of football especially when you are a club our size and budget. 

1 hour ago, GDON21 said:

We paid a good fee and have Vini a 4 year deal on good money in January, which was a lot more than anyone outside the arse cheeks. We needed more but couldn't get it down to the total mismanagement of the budget from the summer. The chairman obviously felt he can't just keep chucking money at a manager he has little faith in now. 

Reports suggest he was already above budget before being backed to sign Bates, Watkins, Longstaff and Samuels at the end of the summer window, neither 4 would of been cheap. This leads on to how much was Brown, Gallagher, Jet etc earning from contracts handed out in the summer. Rumour is that Goodwin couldn't believe what certain players are getting paid and how we've utilised the budget. 

Hmmm I'm not convinced all of that statement is true. We may indeed have been above budget already, but looking at them individually there were reasonable grounds for bringing them in. But lets look at what happened...

Bates.....we needed a CH. And quickly. Consi's injury was sheer bad luck but handing Devlin a 6 month contract was just sheer madness. Fuck only knows what you would then call the decision to give him another one in January  given he hasn't played a single minute to date and with rumours of another injury occurring it looks like he wont play all season. Bates had a reasonable pedigree and has been ok generally after a poor first 4 or 5 weeks. Who knows what fee we had to fork out to Hamburg though? 

Watkins...well we needed a striker to back up Ramirez. Is Watkins a striker though? He had been released by Bristol C and a short term trial at Cardiff didn't work out. I'm not sure he'll be breaking the bank as any options he would have had thereafter would be limited at his age  but as we all suspected, keeping him fit for any length of time is a big problem. Looks like a waste of money so far.

Longstaff.....surely only signed as we were sure Ferguson was offski. Utter fucking tripe and expensive fucking tripe at that. Thankfully he took the hint and got Newcastle to recall him from the loan. Mansfield is his level. 

Samuels....I'm not convinced cost us a penny. I think Wolves were  doing him a favour by allowing him to leave on loan essentially on trial to get himself fixed up on a contract elsewhere. There was the agreement we could sign him after the 12 month loan was up. However all he could do was run. Now on loan at ICT and not looking much use at that level either. 

So Glass got one signing right....probably. One...the jury is out but probably wrong. And the other two total shockers, one expensive, one free but both utter fucking haddies but both thankfully now stinking out lower level  joints elsewhere.

A player we should be looking at signing is Nicky Cadden, 6 goals and 12 assists this season for Forest Green, out of contract and the right age to be looking at, clearly improved since his time at Livi.

Also kane WIlson who is also at Forest green would be worth a go as well, could replace Ramsay.

1 hour ago, Durrant Dived said:

Thing is there's an element of gamble for every club on transfers; hits and misses at all levels. If you said celtic were signing a goalie for 4-5m would you expect him to be as shite as Barkas has been? Or Werner/torres at Chelsea? Happens it every club. And if we knew 51/61 wouldn't be a hit we wouldn't sign them in the first place. Recruitment is probably the hardest part of football especially when you are a club our size and budget. 

I've not seen the list but can guarantee there are plenty on it that 99% of dons fans could tell you weren't going to be a hit.

Main, Leigh, Taylor second time around, Gallagher, Vyner, Gurr off the top of my head

2 hours ago, GDON21 said:

Big changes coming in the summer

Richard Gordon alluded to that a few weeks ago when Glass was still the job.

Suggested to me that there were perhaps some players already signed up and the obvious being sold and others being released.

If some players are already secured you've got to hope that Goodwin likes what he's seen.

1 hour ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Signing a winger who actually has a record of creating assists, there's a novel idea. 

Ha, if the club are serious about using data they need to dig a little deeper, there are plenty of affordable players available that are outperforming the level they are at and we really need to take advantage of it.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, GDON21 said:

Even with this terrible run I don't think we need massive changes to the starting 11. If we can go all out to sign a winger, number 10 and maybe a new centre back who can all walk straight into the team that would be fine. 

Think about how shite we were in 2012/13. Just replacing Hughes & Rae with Robson & Flood made a major difference. If we get the right players in key areas it is a lot easier than having to sign about 9 or 10 players. I don't trust Aberdeen to sign that many good players at one time!!  We'll just end up with more donkeys on long contracts.

10 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Even with this terrible run I don't think we need massive changes to the starting 11. If we can go all out to sign a winger, number 10 and maybe a new centre back who can all walk straight into the team that would be fine. 

Think about how shite we were in 2012/13. Just replacing Hughes & Rae with Robson & Flood made a major difference. If we get the right players in key areas it is a lot easier than having to sign about 9 or 10 players. I don't trust Aberdeen to sign that many good players at one time!!  We'll just end up with more donkeys on long contracts.

We need much more than 3.  Have you seen our bench?

13 hours ago, minijc said:

Ha, if the club are serious about using data they need to dig a little deeper, there are plenty of affordable players available that are outperforming the level they are at and we really need to take advantage of it.

^ 100% agree.

These players will be available in both Scottish and English lower leagues.

We just have to make sure during the almost certain summer clear out that we retain a couple of experienced heads eg. Considine and Hayes perhaps. Would also back the signing of at least one more established, experienced player but not a McNamara, Hartley, Bryson, Brown sort who is ready for the knackers yard. Perhaps a Robson sort who we can get at least a couple of years out of.

Next season:

GK: Lewis?(clark/siegrist if not) +1 backup gk(not woods)

Cb: Bates, Gallagher, considine, + 1 more (Who would hopefully go in as our best Cb)

RB: Ramsay, + 1 more backup

LB: MacKenzie , ngwenya

CM: McCrorie, Barron, Campbell, +1 more

AM: Polvara, +1 more

WM: Besuijen, Kennedy, Hayes, Duncan, +1 more (who would hopefully be our best winger)

CF: Ramirez, Watkins, +1 more (who can properly compete with Ramirez, not just backup)

That’s at least 7 new signings needed in summer. 

1 hour ago, NEM said:

We need much more than 3.  Have you seen our bench?

Ideally yes but its more just my lack of trust in the club to source enough decent players. I'd rather we focus on 3 first team players, bring in a couple cheaper options and then just promote youth players. 

The thought of bringing in about 10 new players makes me think 8 of them will be shite and 2 of them will be ok

9 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

Next season:

GK: Lewis?(clark/siegrist if not) +1 backup gk(not woods)

Cb: Bates, Gallagher, considine, + 1 more (Who would hopefully go in as our best Cb)

RB: Ramsay, + 1 more backup

LB: MacKenzie , ngwenya

CM: McCrorie, Barron, Campbell, +1 more

AM: Polvara, +1 more

WM: Besuijen, Kennedy, Hayes, Duncan, +1 more (who would hopefully be our best winger)

CF: Ramirez, Watkins, +1 more (who can properly compete with Ramirez, not just backup)

That’s at least 7 new signings needed in summer. 

Weak at left back

Weak at centre mid. 

Maybe putting 2 and 2 together here but I think we'll go for Alnwick, he's outperforming both Zander Clark and Siegrist over a couple of key metrics, miles ahead of lewis this season too, obviously Goodwin knows him well.

One other player in our league that we should try to sign is McCart from St Johnstone although I imagine Hibs will be trying to get him on a pre contract but would be a great addition to our side. 

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Feel like any club that is at least standing still have to be hitting a 40-50% success rate in market. To progress we need to be hitting 50% plus every window to see reall progress from season to season. That ABZ podcast is saying we have a 16% success rate since the 2017 cup final which is absolutely disgusting but unsurprising. We need a first choice GK, CB, WINGER/CREATER and a STRIKER as bare minimum for the first 11.

6 hours ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Would also back the signing of at least one more established, experienced player but not a McNamara, Hartley, Bryson, Brown sort who is ready for the knackers yard. Perhaps a Robson sort who we can get at least a couple of years out of.

So you think the club signed mcnamara, Hartley, Bryson and Brown not hoping for them to be as influential as Robson was? Deary me.

5 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Haha thought that myself. They are all literally the exact type of player. Robson is just the one who ended up having the most in the tank and was playing in a good team

Glad that boy has pointed out we shouldn't sign flops and only sign players that will be a hit ? who needs Mowbray when we have him haha

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, minijc said:

Maybe putting 2 and 2 together here but I think we'll go for Alnwick, he's outperforming both Zander Clark and Siegrist over a couple of key metrics, miles ahead of lewis this season too, obviously Goodwin knows him well.

One other player in our league that we should try to sign is McCart from St Johnstone although I imagine Hibs will be trying to get him on a pre contract but would be a great addition to our side. 

Most saints fans I know would happily drive McCart up the road tomorrow.