Squad speculation...

I'm glad the myth of a "good squad on paper" isn't being peddled on here. It is something I kept hearing on a few media outlets for a good chunk of the season.

This squad is absolutely dreadful. Too many injury prone players, players living off of past form/reputation, others simply not good enough.

I could easily argue a case for getting rid of half to two thirds of this current squad.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo Cake said:

I'm glad the myth of a "good squad on paper" isn't being peddled on here. It is something I kept hearing on a few media outlets for a good chunk of the season.

This squad is absolutely dreadful. Too many injury prone players, players living off of past form/reputation, others simply not good enough.

I could easily argue a case for getting rid of half to two thirds of this current squad.

And i think most of us would agree with you. However actually getting them off the books might prove a lot trickier in practice. Far too many of our duds have contracts that run on at least another season beyond this one. And I don't envisage that many teams elsewhere will be queueing up to buy them in the summer....even if they could afford to pay them what we currently do. Even punting them out on loan and covering half or more of their wages might prove difficult. 

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

However actually getting them off the books might prove a lot trickier in practice.

Can't see many poeple lining up to take JET off our hands.

Some of the dross is away this summer (Montgommery, Ojo) but still got another year of Brown, JET, Woods etc - absolutely shocking recruitment 

If it was up to me I’d get rid of:

Lewis - contracted    
Woods - contracted.  
Gallagher - contracted.   
MacKenzie - contracted.    
Ojo - free.      
McGeouch - freed.      
McLennan - contracted.     
Kennedy - contracted.    
JET - contracted       
Jenks - end of loan        
Montgomery - end of loan 

That’s 11 players but only 4 are at the end of their contract. It highlights how shite recruitment has been these last few years.

I’d sell Ferguson & use a chunk of the fee to pay off some of the contracted players. 

I realise there’s no chance we’ll get rid of all 11 but as many as possible.  
Massive clear out & start again needed. 

1 hour ago, True_Don said:

Brown will retire end of season...

Hmmm not sure about that but I think that Goodwin and Brown will come to an agreement in summer that allows him to move away to any club that wants him. Maybe with the proviso that he can't face us for the remainder of what would have been left on his contract with us. 

I have a feeling he'll end up back with Hibs as co-assistant manager. And he'll replace Maloney in the hotseat when he gets bulleted fairly quickly afterwards

3 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Lewis - contracted    
Woods - contracted.  
Gallagher - contracted.   
MacKenzie - contracted.    
Ojo - free.      
McGeouch - freed.      
McLennan - contracted.     
Kennedy - contracted.    
JET - contracted       
Jenks - end of loan        
Montgomery - end of loan 

That’s 11 players but only 4 are at the end of their contract. It highlights how shite recruitment has been these last few years.

I’d sell Ferguson & use a chunk of the fee to pay off some of the contracted players. 

Only one I’d maybe keep would be MacKenzie as back up, the others wouldn’t be missed. 

Who would want to buy Ferguson and even if they did would probably at a push get what Watford offered last summer

14 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

Only one I’d maybe keep would be MacKenzie as back up, the others wouldn’t be missed. 

Who would want to buy Ferguson and even if they did would probably at a push get what Watford offered last summer

I think its early enough in MacKenzies career to give him a reprieve. Came in did well, got a few injuries, came back into an shit Glass team and struggled like everyone else.  

I think it's absolutely brutal (and quite disappointing actually) that everyone is so keen and quick to start writing him off.

EDIT: Lets not forget that Glass rushed him back from injury too, setting him back further. 

• Upvote 5
3 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Lewis - contracted    
Woods - contracted.  
Gallagher - contracted.   
MacKenzie - contracted.    
Ojo - free.      
McGeouch - freed.      
McLennan - contracted.     
Kennedy - contracted.    
JET - contracted       
Jenks - end of loan        
Montgomery - end of loan 

Add Dean Campbell to stay at Kilmarnock and I would 100 per cent agree. Ferguson is worth very little and getting worse by the week. Never moves past the ball, never passes more than 5 yards and only moves when he wants to. Barron puts him to shame.

7 minutes ago, Feel said:

Add Dean Campbell to stay at Kilmarnock and I would 100 per cent agree. Ferguson is worth very little and getting worse by the week. Never moves past the ball, never passes more than 5 yards and only moves when he wants to. Barron puts him to shame.

That’s harsh. He’s not having a great season by any stretch of the imagination but that’s a brutal evaluation. He always shows for the ball, which can’t be said of a fair few.

I do think he takes too many touches of the ball at times, which slows the game down. We’ve been good at that collectively this season though. 

1 hour ago, Ernie McCracken said:

I think its early enough in MacKenzies career to give him a reprieve. Came in did well, got a few injuries, came back into an shit Glass team and struggled like everyone else.  

I think it's absolutely brutal (and quite disappointing actually) that everyone is so keen and quick to start writing him off.

EDIT: Lets not forget that Glass rushed him back from injury too, setting him back further. 

And playing in a defence that doesn’t include Gallagher would help him as well

Ferguson will do ok in a lower championship team, he’s just given up here. 

you shouldn’t have expected character and integrity from a man so steeped in the hun way of life

Scored a few decisive goals but has faded badly. Was never close to shinnie or McLean 

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I'd keep Mackenzie as he did well just rushed back too quick with injuries, him + Ngwenya would be solid enough cover for the LB spot imo.

Keep McGeough on a lower wage as he's a good player just never seems to put on a run of games.

But aye as you say crap recruitment all round as some amount of money has been spent on utter shite

I reckon we need

2 midfielders that complement each other 
A right sided forward who can work with
A experienced defender  to bring up the average age of our back line where Bates has often been the eldest at 25
less importance but required - a goalkeeper

McGeough doesnt work with what we have but may work as one of the two midfielders but I would think one may be fergusson - in which case McGeough doesnt work
McClennan and Kennedy we should look at moving on
JET - there is definitely a player in there however how many fans have said that over the years? be a miracle if we bring it out
Gallagher is a bench warmer would he want to be?
Devlin - love him fit - how many chance do we give him to be, in some ways I think he is the defender we need who could be the missing piece of the defensive  puzzle with a young raw McKenna he was excellent and a calming influence but he need to be there 35 Games per season
OJO not for what we need - but probably the surprise of the season as "better than expected" but dont see him in our midfield somehow

1 hour ago, Granite95 said:

I'd keep Mackenzie as he did well just rushed back too quick with injuries, him + Ngwenya would be solid enough cover for the LB spot imo.

Keep McGeough on a lower wage as he's a good player just never seems to put on a run of games.

But aye as you say crap recruitment all round as some amount of money has been spent on utter shite

I can see the argument with MacKenzie, but even when he was fit, I thought he was “meh”. Not good going forward either. 

McGeouch - agree he’s a decent player… BUT he’s not been fit for years, plays sporadically, and would free up a good wage for a younger, fitter midfielder. We need players they you can generally rely on to be available.

Devlin, McGeouch & Watkins are just 3 off the top of my head that we know won’t be.