Squad speculation...

2 hours ago, thurso said:

Thought exactly the same myself.
If we are going for a better squad we need to improve on the players we are replacing not go sideways or backwards just because they are cheaper 

If Goodwin is allowed to sign who he Is targeting for  next season.  And gets rid of mcinnes  and glass humpty dumptys, it's going to take a good few months to get the team playing the way he visions them playing.    Even winning the next 3 games which is asking for a miracle I don't think they will make the top 6 never mind 4 th place  for Europe.    Better to miss out on Europe and save the  embarrassment of getting knocked out early again.  Concentrate on the league for next season.  

• 5 weeks later...

Keep - McCrorie, Barron, Mackenzie, Polvara, Besuijen, Woods (he's perfectly adequate for a 2nd choice goalie that will likely never play), Hayes (we're probably stuck with the old cart horse)

Accept offers for - Gallagher, Ramirez, Bates, Ferguson, Ramsay, Lewis - if anyone will have them...

Can fuck off - Considine, Jenks, McGeough, Ojo, Campbell, JET, Kennedy, McLennan, Watkins, 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, minijc said:

Woods is not adequate to be a 2nd choice, he's one of the worst keepers to play for the club, absolutely hopeless.

I mean it's a fair enough point... I just wouldn't be busting a gut to find a 2nd keeper given the rest of the work that JG will have to do to build a brand new team. Last on the list and better off finding a better 1st choice keeper... For someone as likely to play as many games as Devlin... 

8 minutes ago, dj_bollocks said:

I mean it's a fair enough point... I just wouldn't be busting a gut to find a 2nd keeper given the rest of the work that JG will have to do to build a brand new team. Last on the list and better off finding a better 1st choice keeper... For someone as likely to play as many games as Devlin... 

Tom Ritchie surely can't be worse than Woods

18 minutes ago, dj_bollocks said:

See I'd rather have someone that's good in their own right and capable of pushing the starter to be better, we've seen it this year, Lewis got dropped and Woods was awful, Lewis probably knew after those couple of games that his place was safe.

10 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Tom Ritchie surely can't be worse than Woods

Stil injured is he not? Thought i'd seen something in the papers that he was a month or so away.

Like to see him get a chance in the first team for the league cup games if not loaned out to a League 1 or League 2 club to get experience

2 hours ago, dj_bollocks said:

Keep - McCrorie, Barron, Mackenzie, Polvara, Besuijen, Woods (he's perfectly adequate for a 2nd choice goalie that will likely never play), Hayes (we're probably stuck with the old cart horse)

Accept offers for - Gallagher, Ramirez, Bates, Ferguson, Ramsay, Lewis - if anyone will have them...

Can fuck off - Considine, Jenks, McGeough, Ojo, Campbell, JET, Kennedy, McLennan, Watkins, 

No, get rid.

What happens if you have to play him due to injury? Not good enough to be second choice let alone first.

50 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

Keep: Ferguson (unless significant offer), Ramsay (unless significant offer), Besuijen, Barron, Bates, Gallagher, Ramirez (unless significant offer), Watkins, Hayes

Keep but loan out: McLennan, Polvara, Mackenzie, Campbell

The rest can go.

McLennan and Campbell are simply not good enough for Aberdeen. Why maintain this level of player when there's no chance they will get a place in the side on a regular basis? Cut your cloth and promote someone else (a la Barron) who has what it takes.

3 hours ago, Tinyweelad said:

McLennan and Campbell are simply not good enough for Aberdeen. Why maintain this level of player when there's no chance they will get a place in the side on a regular basis? Cut your cloth and promote someone else (a la Barron) who has what it takes.

I heard this about Scott Wright, Bruce Anderson and Lawrence Shankland that they weren't good enough for Aberdeen - All handled differently and have done well to a SPFL standard. 

I agree that currently they aren't good enough for Aberdeen, but we have a tendency to just cut them loose and then others get the benefit - why not retain them but loan out for a season to another SPFL or Championship side and see if they can gain momentum/confidence/ability. If we retain them and they start, then I agree it's not good as they aren't at the level we need to challenge for honours as yet.

1 hour ago, DoonTheLine said:

I heard this about Scott Wright, Bruce Anderson and Lawrence Shankland that they weren't good enough for Aberdeen - All handled differently and have done well to a SPFL standard. 

I agree that currently they aren't good enough for Aberdeen, but we have a tendency to just cut them loose and then others get the benefit - why not retain them but loan out for a season to another SPFL or Championship side and see if they can gain momentum/confidence/ability. If we retain them and they start, then I agree it's not good as they aren't at the level we need to challenge for honours as yet.

Shankland and Wright have done nothing of the sort. 

5 hours ago, DoonTheLine said:

Keep: Ferguson (unless significant offer), Ramsay (unless significant offer), Besuijen, Barron, Bates, Gallagher, Ramirez (unless significant offer), Watkins, Hayes

The rest can go.

No point keeping McLennan or Campbell, both shite,

McLennan is absolutely hopeless. No point keeping him at all. He's played about 100 games now I think.

Campbell is slightly better but no where near good enough.

Anderson I'd have given a chance to. Wright was inconsistent but was sorry to see him go. Shankland is terrible and proved that at Utd

At what point are you no longer a promising youngster?

McLennan seems to have hit a developmental wall, and doesn't even seem to serve a purpose as a squad player. He comes on and does just about exactly what you'd expect... fuck all. 

I'd rather see some 18 year old come on and do fuck all, because at least there's the chance he's learning something that will develop him into a player capable of filling the role somewhere down the road. McLennan comes on and does fuck all with the promise of more fuck all at a later date. 

McLennan's 22. By this point you'd expect to see some glimpses of the player he's becoming. 

But you don't. 

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

At what point are you no longer a promising youngster?

McLennan seems to have hit a developmental wall, and doesn't even seem to serve a purpose as a squad player. He comes on and does just about exactly what you'd expect... fuck all. 

I'd rather see some 18 year old come on and do fuck all, because at least there's the chance he's learning something that will develop him into a player capable of filling the role somewhere down the road. McLennan comes on and does fuck all with the promise of more fuck all at a later date. 

McLennan's 22. By this point you'd expect to see some glimpses of the player he's becoming. 

But you don't. 

He’s becoming a player who will be playing amateur football and stacking shelf’s in Asda for a living

53 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

I hate Wright and we could do better but currently he’d walk into every SPFL side outside the top 2 and comfortably be one of their best players. The league is a brutal standard just now. 

Agree. We are really shite for starters, to the point where we’re looking like only having 10 first team players by the summer. File hibs under same category. Dundee United are nowhere near what they were 10 or 12 years ago. Hearts even though they’re third are still not close to, for example, what we were circa 2016. The cheeks are strong right now which also doesn’t help for the league disparity. 

8 hours ago, DoonTheLine said:

The rest can go.

McLennan, Campbell don't loan them out just get rid off them

Unfortunate for Campbell perhaps he has something about him  but it falls short of what we need

McLennan is simply hopeless trips overhimself and cannot control a football .....  no improvement made yet someone take the risk

10 hours ago, DD1903 said:

Shankland and Wright have done nothing of the sort. 

If you think Shankland and Wright wouldn’t currently improve our squad you are just a blinkered dons fan who treats anyone who left us and/or didn’t immediately perform as the devil.

I’ve thought for a number of years that how we handle young players when they reach the first team as completely abject. It seems a total lottery if they become something or not (McKenna), we have no idea how to make them tick (Wright) or we continuously play them despite them floundering and getting stick from the fans, and instead of loaning them we continue to force them for some reason (McLennan and MacKenzie).

• Upvote 1