Squad speculation...

7 hours ago, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:

McLennan, Campbell don't loan them out just get rid off them

Unfortunate for Campbell perhaps he has something about him  but it falls short of what we need

McLennan is simply hopeless trips overhimself and cannot control a football .....  no improvement made yet someone take the risk

Agreed, Campbell is Scottish Championship material at best. As for McLennan I hope he has other skills as it’s not as a football player.

6 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

If you think Shankland and Wright wouldn’t currently improve our squad you are just a blinkered dons fan who treats anyone who left us and/or didn’t immediately perform as the devil.

I’ve thought for a number of years that how we handle young players when they reach the first team as completely abject. It seems a total lottery if they become something or not (McKenna), we have no idea how to make them tick (Wright) or we continuously play them despite them floundering and getting stick from the fans, and instead of loaning them we continue to force them for some reason (McLennan and MacKenzie).

Wright had a decent 3 months in his time here. Nothing more. 

as for shankland...he found his level in the championship. He was rank with Utd in the top league, so there is nothing blinkered about my views. He's isn't good enough. 

18 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

If you think Shankland and Wright wouldn’t currently improve our squad you are just a blinkered dons fan who treats anyone who left us and/or didn’t immediately perform as the devil.

I’ve thought for a number of years that how we handle young players when they reach the first team as completely abject. It seems a total lottery if they become something or not (McKenna), we have no idea how to make them tick (Wright) or we continuously play them despite them floundering and getting stick from the fans, and instead of loaning them we continue to force them for some reason (McLennan and MacKenzie).

Larry fiveheed is fucking hopeless.  Might do a job for us if we get relegated because the Championship is his level

21 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

as for shankland...he found his level in the championship. He was rank with Utd in the top league, so there is nothing blinkered about my views. He's isn't good enough. 

You made my point, nobody knew how to make Wright tick - apart from Hedges it seems….

Shankland still scored in the top flight and would help our squad - especially at the moment (as would a Bruce Anderson). Not everyone is a starter but you need players otherwise you end up with our current scenario with a down-tools Ramirez, a half-fit Watkins and a complete young gamble in Ruth - fair enough shankland and Anderson might not start week in week out (unless they hit a purple patch) but currently they’d significantly help our plight. 

14 minutes ago, DoonTheLine said:

You made my point, nobody knew how to make Wright tick - apart from Hedges it seems….

Shankland still scored in the top flight and would help our squad - especially at the moment (as would a Bruce Anderson). Not everyone is a starter but you need players otherwise you end up with our current scenario with a down-tools Ramirez, a half-fit Watkins and a complete young gamble in Ruth - fair enough shankland and Anderson might not start week in week out (unless they hit a purple patch) but currently they’d significantly help our plight. 

No one knew how to make him tick!? Appears no one at sevco knows either. Lolz he's not very good. It's that simple 

as for shankland...the scored at our level reasoning is rather flawed. Plenty of pish players have scored at our level, but still haven't been good enough for us. Jet anyone?! 

his level is championship. 

55 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Correct.

Wright had a reasonable start at sevco but has fallen way out the picture and is nothing more than a bit part player now. Der Hun would probably welcome a bid for him from us in the summer but he'd want wages similar to what he's on currently and for someone so inconsistent that's just something we shouldn't do.

Shankland would be a downgrade on Ramirez.

9 hours ago, Ke1t said:

McLennan seems to have hit a developmental wall, and doesn't even seem to serve a purpose as a squad player. He comes on and does just about exactly what you'd expect... fuck all. 

He actually does worse than that. My heart sank at 70 minutes in on Saturday when I seen him coming on for Watkins, at that point I knew the game was up and any hope of scoring was gone. Offers nothing.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Correct.

Wright had a reasonable start at sevco but has fallen way out the picture and is nothing more than a bit part player now. Der Hun would probably welcome a bid for him from us in the summer but he'd want wages similar to what he's on currently and for someone so inconsistent that's just something we shouldn't do.

Shankland would be a downgrade on Ramirez.

Wasn’t saying to buy them now, I’m saying how we never developed them as young players and didn’t handle them well in terms of our first team development/loaning of young talent. In turn we now have this threadbare mish mash squad, with young lads chucked in above their current ability/footballing maturity level - none of them have had to learn how react when chips are down or everything not being put on a plate for them. This has been the case for several years with McKenna being a real exception to the rule (and improved totally out of the blue).

Campbell now away to win the Scottish Championship title, back in their first 11 at the weekend, yet not good enough for our entire squad? I’m afraid we are getting way above our station if we think that. Is he ready to help us challenge for the SPFL? No, but none of our squad are. Can he be loaned, developed, coached into a good player to help our squad in the future or sold on for a decent sum - definitely. 

1 hour ago, DelMonte said:

What? What teams would Wright not get into? 

As a first choice striker?

Ourselves for a start

Celtic.

If Hibs had Nisbet fit he wouldn't get in there either

Hearts I'd Imagine would still have Boyce in ahead of him

Same goes for Motherwell with Van Veen

Maybe even Livi would stick with Anderson. Close call though

The rest he'd get into.....Dundee, Dundee Utd, St Mirren, St Johnstone and Ross Co.

22 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Ourselves for a start

Celtic.

The rest he'd get into.....Dundee, Dundee Utd, St Mirren, St Johnstone and Ross Co.

Wright isnt a striker though TC.  Why are you comparing him with strikers, of course he's not going to get in ahead of many of them.  He's a winger/attacking midfielder

My first instinct was to say the same but the test is this; would Boyce & Nisbet strengthen our front line? Unquestionably yes, even though Nisbet has been pretty poor for Hibs this year.

Moot point; Boyce has been playing out wide for Hearts recently and doing a pretty good job. The boy Simms looks a unit up front.

Wright would get into the front three of most teams in the league more often than not, no question.

Our style of play isn't working with Ramirez vs the other players at our disposal.  I'd like to see us ditch the target man notion and play with a sharp, pacy centre forward with inverted wingers or a no10 zipping about him. If he has strength to batter CBs all the better but I think the style of play needs to change to make better use of the players we have. I wonder if Vinnie could be a good no10 or even no9. Build a team around a Vinnie, Barron, McCrorie, new commanding CB spine.

36 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Ourselves for a start

Celtic.

He's not a striker, so not sure what point you're making? Scott Wright played in the correct position would easily improve every team in the league outside Sevco and Celtic. He'd have made us infinitely more interesting to watch this season. We've been playing Ojo, McCrorie, McLennan, Kennedy, Jenks, Samuels, JET in attacking midfield positions this season... Scott Wright is a far superior player in that position than all of those guys.

4 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

You said he be comfortably one of our best players. Based on what? He's been pish (or injured) - bar a 2-3 month purple patch - for his entire 'career'. 

He was our best player when he left, and we have been absolutely horseshit ever since.

He would undoubtedly be one of our better players (if he stayed fit), hun cunt or not.

13 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

He was our best player when he left, and we have been absolutely horseshit ever since.

He would undoubtedly be one of our better players (if he stayed fit), hun cunt or not.

If you think that...that says more about the state of the team Wright left, than how good he actually was for that short time. 

he's bang average at best and I wouldn't want him anywhere near us

14 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

If you think that...that says more about the state of the team Wright left, than how good he actually was for that short time. 

he's bang average at best and I wouldn't want him anywhere near us

I'm not saying I want him back, but just because he only stayed fit for a few months then fucked off to the huns doesn't mean he's a bad player. Just a really really bad person. 

He was always too small and weak here. Was never really a question about his ability. 

5 hours ago, DoonTheLine said:

Ramirez, who has only bothered his arse for half a season, has scored more premiership goals than Shankland has in his entire career so far.

Shankland should be viewed as a backup at absolute best. 

27 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

I'm not saying I want him back, but just because he only stayed fit for a few months then fucked off to the huns doesn't mean he's a bad player. Just a really really bad person. 

He was always too small and weak here. Was never really a question about his ability. 

I beg to differ 

So reading this, likes of Shankland and Anderson are shite who wouldn’t improve us, Scott Wright was pish, Cosgrove and Ramirez flash in the pans, so I have to ask - who will we have as striker next season better than the 4 strikers mentioned there?

Watkins is the only other signed option and for his endeavour he’s never been prolific, so like Gary Lineker (some of you would say he’s pish too) I’m all ears!

• Upvote 1