Dundee v Aberdeen

2 hours ago, Glass half full said:

Gallagher was exposed and skinned so gave away the foul as they were getting to a very promising situation. Don’t really have a problem with that. 
He also seemed to have a good first half, easier to see as in front of us.

However, (2nd goal) while Ferguson has let his man go and claiming for off side is inexcusable,  if Gallagher had held the line with Ferguson and Bates their player would have been offside. Sadly he allowed himself to sink in towards the goal and play the attacker onside.

Have to add, Bates could also have read it as he has the perfect view and covered Ferguson’s man to at least challenge him, as Bates man stayed deep and didn’t run in.

No blame on Lewis, he is just badly exposed by weak defending all round. 

Gallagher mainly to blame initially as he plays the boy the scored onside. Should have held the line as he was furthest back and could see it all unfolding. Bates....hmm maybe he could have challenged but for me was just too far away, his main focus would be on his own man. Ferguson is obviously thinking of nothing other than playing offside. He surely wouldn't do this unless it was a pre-planned decision.

But Lewis is once again caught in no mans land. If he had stayed on his line he saves it (unless he makes as big a cunt of things as he did with their first goal). If he fully commits then he should get a decent punch on the ball or at worst gets fouled by the striker. He does neither and is left floundering and looking every inch the liability he has become over the past 3 seasons.

25 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Gallagher mainly to blame initially as he plays the boy the scored onside. Should have held the line as he was furthest back and could see it all unfolding. Bates....hmm maybe he could have challenged but for me was just too far away, his main focus would be on his own man. Ferguson is obviously thinking of nothing other than playing offside. He surely wouldn't do this unless it was a pre-planned decision.

But Lewis is once again caught in no mans land. If he had stayed on his line he saves it (unless he makes as big a cunt of things as he did with their first goal). If he fully commits then he should get a decent punch on the ball or at worst gets fouled by the striker. He does neither and is left floundering and looking every inch the liability he has become over the past 3 seasons.

Correct 100%

Where was the game management though - which player stepped up to marshal the defence (or even the midfield) - no one since we lost Brown is able to do that.

Brown was not a silky skilled player, but he could marshal a team, maybe once we het Considine back he will start doing that again - no leaders in the team I'm afraid, and we need a new keeper!

1 hour ago, sigh said:

Where was the game management though - which player stepped up to marshal the defence (or even the midfield) - no one since we lost Brown is able to do that.

Brown was not a silky skilled player, but he could marshal a team, maybe once we het Considine back he will start doing that again - no leaders in the team I'm afraid, and we need a new keeper!

Where was the marshalling of the defence when Brown was playing ?

7 hours ago, Glass half full said:

No blame on Lewis, he is just badly exposed by weak defending all round. 

Lewis to blame for both goals. Not solely to blame, but definitely partially. If the big useless lanky waste of space came out and claimed a cross every now and again we wouldn't have lost either goal. He's got the advantage that he's about 6ft5 and can use his hands. He should be coming out and taking the ball, wiping out anyone who gets in his way. Instead he stands like a statue and the next thing you know the balls in the net and he's either standing there looking pathetic, or running into the post to try and cover up how hopeless he is. 

I can't face another 2 years of him. He's barely saved a shot all season.

23 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Lewis to blame for both goals. Not solely to blame, but definitely partially. If the big useless lanky waste of space came out and claimed a cross every now and again we wouldn't have lost either goal. He's got the advantage that he's about 6ft5 and can use his hands. He should be coming out and taking the ball, wiping out anyone who gets in his way. Instead he stands like a statue and the next thing you know the balls in the net and he's either standing there looking pathetic, or running into the post to try and cover up how hopeless he is. 

I can't face another 2 years of him. He's barely saved a shot all season.

Some folk really have it in for Lewis. I get it that he probably hasn’t been saving enough shots, and that he isn’t the most commanding with cross balls. I also don’t have a problem with hoping the club signs somebody better.

But, he isn’t at fault for those goals and that’s simply putting blame on him as he isn’t liked. 
The very fact that everyone knows he doesn’t command his box enough in crosses should mean the defenders are even more aware that they have to go with their man and win or at least challenge the cross balls. 
The free kicks were put into good areas where it’s difficult for the keeper to gather. 

• Upvote 2
On 4/4/2022 at 1:06 PM, Ten Caat said:

Not sure what you are debating, I clearly stated Gallagher dropped deep and didn’t hold his line.

Bates was marking McGowan who doesn’t come near the box so he has to read it as Ferguson is wrong side or wrong body position and can barely see his man. All 3 at fault. Soft as shit in the middle. 

25 minutes ago, Glass half full said:

Not sure what you are debating, I clearly stated Gallagher dropped deep and didn’t hold his line.

Bates was marking McGowan who doesn’t come near the box so he has to read it as Ferguson is wrong side or wrong body position and can barely see his man. All 3 at fault. Soft as shit in the middle. 

You said there was no blame on Lewis.....

I completely disagree

25 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Trying to claim offside at a free kick taken around the box instead of attacking the ball is a daft idea anyway 

It’s a sign a player has lost his man & an act of desperation.

So poor to let someone get goalside of you when defending.

Schoolboy stuff.

The goals we lost summed up our season. 

A new commanding goalie & two good defenders needed. 

33 minutes ago, Glass half full said:

The very fact that everyone knows he doesn’t command his box enough in crosses should mean the defenders are even more aware that they have to go with their man and win or at least challenge the cross balls. 

The fact he doesn't command his box enough means it's his fault.

Scottish Premiership Goalkeeper Stats | FBref.com - He is by some distance the worst keeper in the league statistically this season. Shots on target against is third lowest in the league after Celtic and Sevco, which suggests we are actually limiting teams to not that many shots on target. The problem is, Lewis only saves 61% of the shots on target against him. The game against Dundee is a classic example - I can only remember Dundee having 2 efforts on target and both end up as goals, with Lewis standing about in no mans land, and running into the post. Semi competent keeper prevents at least one of those goals and a good keeper prevents both.

Ramirez is rightly getting a bit of grief because he's hardly scoring any, and Lewis is getting grief because he's hardly saving any. The defence generally is limiting the number of shots the opposition gets on target, and the midfield / wingers are actually creating reasonable amount of chances in recent games. So the finger is rightly (although not exclusively) being pointed at the keeper and main striker.