Scott Brown, Looking Back...

8 hours ago, huncunts said:

Him doing a jig and a bow after we lost a 2-0 lead at Ibrox, not came back from 2-0 down, as the fans chanted Broonay, and the club posted pictures of it over and over for days, is one of the most embarrassing things this club has done in recent times. Worthy of a plucky League 2 team. 

Spot on.

Interesting thread. Like everyone else, I wanted it to work, but said at the start I feared it could end up being another Roy Aitken (who admittedly did give us one good season as a player) or Paul Hartley, rather than Barry Robson. I agree with the view that he should have played more sparingly, in key games, rather than trying to bail out a shyte team every week.

That said, he is not the cause of our struggles this season. If he had come in under a good manager and used in key games, I think he'd still be here - and possibly for one more season as a squad player, while building a coaching credential. Instead, he's out the door with the Glass regime. Sad it didn't work, but good luck to him.

As a side note, I think the "most successful player in Scottish football's modern era" accolade is overplayed. Yes, he was a fine player in his day, but in an era where Celtic's run of trophies were like shooting fish in a barrel, against the weakest Scottish top flight in history... and as a midfielder for Scotland he was good, but not in the class of Collins, McAllister, Lambert or even McCall, never mind McGrain et al.

17 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Interesting thread. Like everyone else, I wanted it to work, but said at the start I feared it could end up being another Roy Aitken (who admittedly did give us one good season as a player) or Paul Hartley, rather than Barry Robson. I agree with the view that he should have played more sparingly, in key games, rather than trying to bail out a shyte team every week.

That said, he is not the cause of our struggles this season. If he had come in under a good manager and used in key games, I think he'd still be here - and possibly for one more season as a squad player, while building a coaching credential. Instead, he's out the door with the Glass regime. Sad it didn't work, but good luck to him.

As a side note, I think the "most successful player in Scottish football's modern era" accolade is overplayed. Yes, he was a fine player in his day, but in an era where Celtic's run of trophies were like shooting fish in a barrel, against the weakest Scottish top flight in history... and as a midfielder for Scotland he was good, but not in the class of Collins, McAllister, Lambert or even McCall, never mind McGrain et al.

Never knew Mcgrain was a midfielder.

I think he was worth the gamble but it didn't work out. Like most of the season. No animosity here.

2 hours ago, alscotoz said:

Never knew Mcgrain was a midfielder.

I think he was worth the gamble but it didn't work out. Like most of the season. No animosity here.

Sorry, I posted that in haste. I meant that, in a "Rasellick legends" context, he was good but not of the class of McGrain and their Lisbon team. My main point is that Brown's elevation via Weegia platitudes like "most successful player, etc." are more a reflection of how poor Scottish football is.

I thought it was a great signing at the time. i also thought that if he played well the team would have a really good season. He’s always been a cunt, but he was our cunt.

he’s a quality player and there were times we saw that in abundance. Technically, he was wag better than j ever gave him credit for. Not sure his leadership on the park really shone through though, well not consistently. 

By and large I thought he was pretty good and far better than most of the rest. Lost interest towards the end though.

if he did call Goodwin a fud at Tynecastle, time will tell if SB was right. 

On 4/9/2022 at 1:22 AM, Jocky Balboa said:

Well you say that but he was part of Delia’s team that won fuck all, it wasn’t always a given that they won 

he was the best, just accept it 

12 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

After his performance away to Hearts when we lost and he got subbed he didn't deserve another game. 

Likewise I thought he would be a very good signing. Started well but downed tools/lost his influence and quite clearly wasn't up for the fight. No loss. 

Not convinced he downed tools, just age caught up with him and couldn't really maintain a fairly decent start to the season. Once the manager who brought him in was bulleted, it was always highly likely he wouldn't be far behind out the door. I'm sure in the fullness of time it will all be revealed what or what not was said (if anything) between him and Goodwin. 

But definitely no loss. Celtic had realised he was no longer of the standard required 12 months earlier.