Jim Goodwin recruitment

Identifying players is the relatively easy bit.  As we have seen from recent transfer windows past, getting them to sign is another matter altogether.   Being bottom 6 and the probable reduction in budget has made the job of enticing these very very good players a hell of a lot harder.   Hopefully there may already be one or two signed on pre contracts.  We can live in hope.  

12 minutes ago, Kiriakov33 said:

Identifying players is the relatively easy bit.  As we have seen from recent transfer windows past, getting them to sign is another matter altogether.   Being bottom 6 and the probable reduction in budget has made the job of enticing these very very good players a hell of a lot harder.   Hopefully there may already be one or two signed on pre contracts.  We can live in hope.  

Why would there be a reduction in budget?

He's chopped a good few high earners, I don't think Cormack could "survive" not backing Goodwin after his utter brainfart of Glass and company.

Regardless of this season's results and standing AFC are still a fairly attractive club. Especially if he targets the correct age group of up and coming hungry players.

• Upvote 2

But getting them in was one of the criticisms  of glass , most felt he wouldn’t be able to convince them 

now the fact that we are bottom six this time won’t have that much relevance as Goodwin should be selling the club and it’s potential that the joining individuals would be part of .

my only concern is Gunn who might not be as adept as others to get a realistic contract ( for both parties) 

Be interesting at least. His first window with us so there's a feeling of going into the unknown whereas we've had Glass choosing from the Atlanta squad and McInnes before him predictably raiding League 1 and 2 down south for the tallest striker he can get alongside some crocks who used to be good before they got injured a lot.

With regards recruitment. I heard that apparently there was a meeting between Cormack and reps from supporters clubs on Saturday. 

Apparently Cormack made the claim that Glass had full control of all signings last summer and no input from anyone else. Obviously Mowbray coming in late didn't help I would imagine, but giving Glass full control is/was madness. Goodwin, Mowbray and Gunn doing the recruitment now and Goodwin has final say on who we sign, with Gunn doing the paperwork, negotiations etc.

No margin for error with regards signings, but it's going to take 3 windows at least to sort this shambles out.

2 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Just say they are shite when they sign then you can gloat to everyone you were right if it doesn’t work out ??‍♂️

If they turn out to be decent, still say they are shite so when they have a dip in form you can gloat as well ??‍♂️

You probably need a break from AFC Chat! ?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, King Street Loon said:

With regards recruitment. I heard that apparently there was a meeting between Cormack and reps from supporters clubs on Saturday. 

Apparently Cormack made the claim that Glass had full control of all signings last summer and no input from anyone else. Obviously Mowbray coming in late didn't help I would imagine, but giving Glass full control is/was madness. Goodwin, Mowbray and Gunn doing the recruitment now and Goodwin has final say on who we sign, with Gunn doing the paperwork, negotiations etc.

No margin for error with regards signings, but it's going to take 3 windows at least to sort this shambles out.

Well that explains a few things.

1 hour ago, King Street Loon said:

Nobody else would have even heard of Jack Gurr, let along thought he could do a job here, other than Glass, so it’s definitely believable. 

I do however doubt Glass had any idea who Matty Longstaff and Teddy Jenks were from his time coaching reserves in America. So he must have had ‘help’ from someone.

5 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

Nobody else would have even heard of Jack Gurr, let along thought he could do a job here, other than Glass, so it’s definitely believable. 

I do however doubt Glass had any idea who Matty Longstaff and Teddy Jenks were from his time coaching reserves in America. So he must have had ‘help’ from someone.

Didn't Jenks and Longstaff arrive after Mowbray was appointed?

It's always easy for disgruntled football fans to say 'get rid of all of them and re-build', but of course it's not as easy as that. We have to accept that quite a few of the players who played on Saturday will line up in July in the first game of the new season. 

Lewis (probably), Bates, Gallagher, Hayes(probably), Barron, McCrorie, Besuijen and Watkins will all still be there. I'd imagine that Ojo will be gone, Ferguson sold, and Ramirez looks very unhappy and will almost certainly be gone. 

There'll have to be players coming in, but I would imagine that the players listed above (plus Ramsey and McKenzie) will still be the backbone of the side when we start the new season. 

All we need to recruit are two 20 goals a season strikers, 2 or 3 box to box midfielders with pace and drive, another winger with pace who can create chances, and maybe a promising centre half or 2. 

It's as simple as that. 

9 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

It's always easy for disgruntled football fans to say 'get rid of all of them and re-build', but of course it's not as easy as that. We have to accept that quite a few of the players who played on Saturday will line up in July in the first game of the new season. 

Lewis (probably), Bates, Gallagher, Hayes(probably), Barron, McCrorie, Besuijen and Watkins will all still be there. I'd imagine that Ojo will be gone, Ferguson sold, and Ramirez looks very unhappy and will almost certainly be gone. 

There'll have to be players coming in, but I would imagine that the players listed above (plus Ramsey and McKenzie) will still be the backbone of the side when we start the new season. 

All we need to recruit are two 20 goals a season strikers, 2 or 3 box to box midfielders with pace and drive, another winger with pace who can create chances, and maybe a promising centre half or 2. 

It's as simple as that. 

And 2 keepers

3 hours ago, KenDodd'sDad said:

Presumably he’ll wait to see what division we are playing in and sign players accordingly.

If we are playing in the Championship, or have scraped SPL survival through a play off game then irrespective of how long JG has been in the job he should get sacked and not be around to make any signings, we move on after another horrific managerial appointment.  

4 minutes ago, blowupsheep said:

If we are playing in the Championship, or have scraped SPL survival through a play off game then irrespective of how long JG has been in the job he should get sacked and not be around to make any signings, we move on after another horrific managerial appointment.  

?????

I suggest you don't get out of your bed on a Saturday for a while.