Who would you keep?

45 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

I'm gonna go right against the grain here and say I believe that Bates and Gallagher will come good. 

Both have had horrendous moments this season, but both have proved....at points, and nowhere near enough.....that they have the potential to form a decent centre back partnership. 

They haven't been helped by Ramsey having a nightmare season as a defender, and the left back position jumping between an untried youngster that has been injured, and an aging winger. 

I'm actually idiot enough to believe/hope that we have a basic framework of players that can be built on. 

Hic. 

I don’t think they have proved they can form a decent partnership at all.

Some games one or the other have played well, but they’ve never both at the same time. That’s not a partnership.

11 hours ago, Daisy1903 said:

I mentioned keeping Lewis. If it was on this season alone then I'd say no chance. But he has proved himself in the past to be a very good shot stopper and at one point so commanding of his area and caught just about everything that came into it when most modern keepers would punch.

Hoping he's just hit some bad form and maybe an all round better team and proper competition for him will get him back. Or it could be he's just on the slide now. Either way I'd prob give him another season.

Lewis is the first player I'd ditch out of the whole squad. He's the biggest problem we've got. However much it would cost to pay him off and get rid of him would be worth it. His weak mindedness, losing mentality has spread to others in the team - I'm sick of watching him stranded in no man's land, or booting the ball off the pitch or topping it or slicing it straight to an opponent, or fumbling shots, failing to come for crosses, running into the post, crumbling to his knees and almost crying like a baby when he lets a goal in. 

I really believe a semi decent keeper would give even the current useless team we have a massive lift. There's no point bringing in other defenders if they still have Lewis behind them. The stats show that we actually don't give away many shots on target, so despite the early season shambles our defence seemed to be, they are actually doing a reasonable job at preventing chances - the big issue is Lewis lets in almost 1 in every 2 shots on target against him. Until we get a proper, commanding keeper who can instil confidence in his defence, we're not going to improve. 

He's not just hit some bad form, he's been getting progressively worse for the last 3 seasons. He's the worst keeper in the league now. There's no coming back from this. He 100% has to not be our first choice keeper next season. And don't even get me started on Woods - he's even worse.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Lewis is the first player I'd ditch out of the whole squad. He's the biggest problem we've got. However much it would cost to pay him off and get rid of him would be worth it. His weak mindedness, losing mentality has spread to others in the team - I'm sick of watching him stranded in no man's land, or booting the ball off the pitch or topping it or slicing it straight to an opponent, or fumbling shots, failing to come for crosses, running into the post, crumbling to his knees and almost crying like a baby when he lets a goal in. 

I really believe a semi decent keeper would give even the current useless team we have a massive lift. There's no point bringing in other defenders if they still have Lewis behind them. The stats show that we actually don't give away many shots on target, so despite the early season shambles our defence seemed to be, they are actually doing a reasonable job at preventing chances - the big issue is Lewis lets in almost 1 in every 2 shots on target against him. Until we get a proper, commanding keeper who can instil confidence in his defence, we're not going to improve. 

He's not just hit some bad form, he's been getting progressively worse for the last 3 seasons. He's the worst keeper in the league now. There's no coming back from this. He 100% has to not be our first choice keeper next season. And don't even get me started on Woods - he's even worse.

Have you ever considered a career as a motivational speaker Don?

I think you would be excellent. 

14 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I would have absolutely no problem getting rid of every single player,  the management team and the owner at this time. 

would only keep angus the bull

Bring back the days where he would come running out to Ac/Dc and get it right up the Huns. The bloody ledge. 

There's only one player we'll struggle to replace with our budget and that's Ferguson. I suspect he'll be sold though which will hopefully fund the rebuild. 

McCrorie should stay.

Ramsay should stay for another year with a view to cashing in summer 2023. 

Besuijen looks promising from flashes. Needs others to pull their weight. 

Watkins is a good player but frustratingly cannot stay fit. 

Barron looks like a terrific prospect, needs more first team football, and some time in the gym perhaps. 

That's it. That's the list of who I would actively try and keep. 

The rest can go if there are better players available. 

13 hours ago, elephantstone78 said:

Have you ever considered a career as a motivational speaker Don?

I think you would be excellent. 

It's time for the truth. No point trying to pander to players who have continually let us down and are never going to improve. Lets stop pretending. Lewis WAS a good keeper - NOW he is a disaster. Hundreds of better keepers out there we could get for the wage we're wasting on him.

• Upvote 1

I'd keep everyone currently under contract unless we get an offer for them. 

That offer might be nominal and effectively amount to picking up their contract, but I don't think we can afford to pay any more players not to play for us.

If we try to sign 15-20 players in one go, at least half will not work out and half of that half will be utter shit. Best to keep the known shit we have IMO.

18 hours ago, Dandyesque said:

I'd keep everyone currently under contract unless we get an offer for them. 

That offer might be nominal and effectively amount to picking up their contract, but I don't think we can afford to pay any more players not to play for us.

If we try to sign 15-20 players in one go, at least half will not work out and half of that half will be utter shit. Best to keep the known shit we have IMO.

I know what you are saying but if players are shit then why not roll the dice with replacements? 

It’s a no lose gamble, if the new ones are also shit then you’re in the same position and if by chance you stumble upon someone more competent then winner winner chicken dinner. 

10 minutes ago, elephantstone78 said:

I know what you are saying but if players are shit then why not roll the dice with replacements? 

It’s a no lose gamble, if the new ones are also shit then you’re in the same position and if by chance you stumble upon someone more competent then winner winner chicken dinner. 

Fair chance some will be more shit.

People are suggesting not keeping Ramirez for example. I think there's a fair chance we could end up with worse than him. It's not like it's a position we've not had trouble filling before and it will be easier to find 2 forwards than 3

16 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Has it been officially announced anywhere which players Goodwin has told are free to go? Given we've paid off Devlin and JET early would indicate it won't just be those out of contract in the summer 

Devlin was hardly a pay-off case.with roughly 2 months left on his contract. 

You might well be correct that more will be paid off in summer, assuming we sell at least one player for decent money. McLennan and Woods probably being the most likely and wouldn't make a massive dent in the overall finances....I think Kennedy might also come into the equation although he'll probably be given pre-season with a clean slate to see if he's worth hanging on to, or at least maybe be a useful make-weight in a possible transfer deal

1 hour ago, Andy_123 said:

Has it been officially announced anywhere which players Goodwin has told are free to go? Given we've paid off Devlin and JET early would indicate it won't just be those out of contract in the summer 

No reason for any other announcement when we have 5 important games left. Devlin and Jet away as there was no way they would contribute to these games 

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Devlin was hardly a pay-off case.with roughly 2 months left on his contract. 

You might well be correct that more will be paid off in summer, assuming we sell at least one player for decent money. McLennan and Woods probably being the most likely and wouldn't make a massive dent in the overall finances....I think Kennedy might also come into the equation although he'll probably be given pre-season with a clean slate to see if he's worth hanging on to, or at least maybe be a useful make-weight in a possible transfer deal

Kennedy is clearly in the managers plans. He was talking about him again the other day. Two stress fractures in his back he's coming back from and Goodwin seems to be a fan. 

See how he plays in the remaining games as Goodwin was saying he won't be rushed but is nearing full fitness again.