Who would you keep?

Ideal world, would get rid of all of them. Nobody in the squad isn't partially responsible for this shitshow of a season.

Realistically keep McRorie, Besuijen, Barron, Polvara and Watkins (the latter 4 only because they are either new to the squad or have been out injured). The rest can either have their contracts terminated or be sold if they have any resale value.

I mentioned keeping Lewis. If it was on this season alone then I'd say no chance. But he has proved himself in the past to be a very good shot stopper and at one point so commanding of his area and caught just about everything that came into it when most modern keepers would punch.

Hoping he's just hit some bad form and maybe an all round better team and proper competition for him will get him back. Or it could be he's just on the slide now. Either way I'd prob give him another season.

Forgot about Hayes. I'd prob give him another year based on previous form. He's scraped a pass mark for me this season. At least he's rolled his sleeves up and tried his best when the going has been tough. McRorie, Ferguson and Barron are the only others who spring to mind that have done that.

• Upvote 2

Wouldn’t keep many…

Considine (1 year as back up)

Hayes (if he’s not on big wages. He’s handy back up at LB and LW)

Ramsay

Bates (think he’d do ok with an experienced head beside him. Wouldn’t complain if he was to go though)

McCrorie

Ferguson

Barron

Polvara (Only because we’ve no idea what he’s like yet)

Vicente

Watkins (if we can find a way to keep him fit more often. Like Bates wouldn’t complain if he was to go)

Ramirez (Just. I cut him a lot of slack for the abysmal service he’s been getting the second half of the season but he has been very poor.)

Not a big list that. Also not factoring in any potential sales and 2 of them are as backup ideally. A shocking state of affairs.

It’s a bit of a pointless exercise though as we’ll never clear out 3/4 of the squad and replace them all with better in one go.

Keep

McCrorie, Barron, Ramsay, Besuijen, Hayes, Ferguson (surely sold this window) & Polvara (Only because we haven't been able to pass judgement)

Grudginly keep

Watkins (Would like to get a decent run of games out of him which seems impossible), Gallagher, Bates & Lewis

I'd expect us to run with 4 CB's next season and I'd be surprised if we punted 2 in contract CB's who are fit for squad players atleast. Ideally we bring in 2 players who are picks ahead of them.

Same goes for Lewis. Under contract but really need him replaced as number 1.

Obviously a couple of youngsters on the bench recently as well, Milne, Ruth. Youngsters on loan or were on loan recently, Ngwenya, Duncan, Hanratty, Towler etc. No idea what these guys are like. Could be seeing our bench filled with these guys early part of the season if we overhaul the squad as much as we all think is needed. It's an overhaul I'm not all that confident we have the ability to get right.

In reality we need to release as many as possible we can’t sell and sell as many as we can get offers for. We have a huge rebuild to do plus plugging gaps in the finances for top 6 gates/ final position and definitely no Europe. We are not desperate for money but certainly need to off set loses and likely lower season ticket renewal at the start. People may return but only once performances improve 

If you look at the 2 previous managers in the modern era who have managed to massively improve things in their first full seasons at the Dons (Calderwood & McInnes), there actually wasn't a massive turnover of playing staff from the previous season.

In Calderwood's first season we finished 4th, picking up 27 points more than the previous season when we finished 11th. 

In McInnes' first season we finished 3rd with 20 points more than the 8th place finish the year before.

The signings they made in the summer that had the biggest impact were Severin in 2004 and Flood and Robson in 2013.  in both seasons final matches the starting 11s featured 8 players who were at the club the season before.  Obviously signing Logan and Rooney in January had a big impact for McInnes too.

Maybe that's a cause for optimism that it won't necessarily take a huge amount of signings to make a big improvement.  I suppose the question is who can be our Severin/Flood/Robson type signing this summer?

Keep Ramsay, Barron, McCrorie, Vicente, Hayes, Watkins, Gallagher, Bates, Mackenzie and Polvara.

I expect Ferguson to go and fund the rebuild.

Hayes and Watkins would be squad players and good coming off the bench. 

Gallagher and Bates need a chance with a decent keeper behind them and not calamity Lewis, if they still don’t perform then get rid.

For me the following I'd be wanting to keep:

Vinnie, Watkins, Ramsay (if not sold), Ferguson (see Ramsay, however most likely sold), McCrorie, Barron, Mackenzie (although Id look to loan him out to get game time)

Rest of them are free to go, however good look getting anyone who wants to take Joe Lewis for example, off our hands.

Realise we are unlikely to have a mass turnover of the squad but can only hope Mowbray/Goodwin have a better eye for a player compared to Richardon/McIness and Glass. 

As others have said some cause of optimism however if Charles Dunne and Harry Milne are who we are seemingly targetting then I am a wee bit worried. Huge summer ahead for Goodwin and co

If we want to play a high pressing game that means pushing up our defence.  To do that you need quick defenders for recovery and a goalie who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.  How Glass was oblivious to this I'll never know. 

Which means we ultimately need to replace all three of Lewis, Gallagher and Bates. 

As has been mentioned I don’t think the squad needs a big overhaul something along the lines of when Calderwood or mccinnes took over. So I’d keep 

ramsay 

mackenzie

gallacher

Barron

in an ideal world Ferguson  

polvara 

watkins

vicente

ramirez

Probably bates 

If we can’t get a better keeper than anwick or Clark id keep Lewis he’s just as good as them if not better but if we can source a better keeper than Lewis from somewhere in the world in budget id get rid of him to 

id integrate some more of the young lads that are out on loan to 

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If we want to play a high pressing game that means pushing up our defence.  To do that you need quick defenders for recovery and a goalie who is comfortable with the ball at his feet.  How Glass was oblivious to this I'll never know. 

Which means we ultimately need to replace all three of Lewis, Gallagher and Bates. 

Glass tried that he had mccrorie in there who was quick your point about Lewis is fair 

2 minutes ago, thurso said:

As has been mentioned I don’t think the squad needs a big overhaul something along the lines of when Calderwood or mccinnes took over. So I’d keep 

ramsay 

mackenzie

gallacher

Barron

in an ideal world Ferguson  

polvara 

watkins

vicente

ramirez

Probably bates 

If we can’t get a better keeper than anwick or Clark id keep Lewis he’s just as good as them if not better but if we can source a better keeper than Lewis from somewhere in the world in budget id get rid of him to 

id integrate some more of the young lads that are out on loan to 

So based on that you'd play exactly the same team as this year then?

Lewis

Ramsay  Gallagher Bates  Mackenzie

McCrorie  Barron Ferguson

Besuijen  Ramirez  Watkins

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

So based on that you'd play exactly the same team as this year then?

Lewis

Ramsay  Gallagher Bates  Mackenzie

McCrorie  Barron Ferguson

Besuijen  Ramirez  Watkins

If that’s the way you want to read it then yes but out of that starting 11 as I said I’d look for a new keeper the world is a big place but if the alternative is Alnwick or Clarke I’d just keep Lewis. 

I’d sign 2 defenders a centre half and a left back Mackenzie can stay so can the 2 centre halfs and can all compete for the starting positions (for all I know we might not need to sign those players as the Norther Irish lad on loan over there and ingwenya at Kelly hearts are getting good reviews so could come into the squad) 

In centre mid we have 3 good players in Ferguson, mccrorie and Barron but for 2/3 seasons we’ve been crying out for an attacking midfielder who can link up play between midfield and attack, so that is the type I’d sign for there 

In attack we need a centre forward and a winger they can compete with 3 you listed for those positions. 

So in short I’d keep the 11 you listed plus polvara sign 6 more that’s 18, couple of players  on loan should be able to step up also. I recon we go with a squad of 20/22 players.

I’d probably keep hayes as a squad player to 

8 minutes ago, thurso said:

If that’s the way you want to read it then yes but out of that starting 11 as I said I’d look for a new keeper the world is a big place but if the alternative is Alnwick or Clarke I’d just keep Lewis. 

I’d sign 2 defenders a centre half and a left back Mackenzie can stay so can the 2 centre halfs and can all compete for the starting positions (for all I know we might not need to sign those players as the Norther Irish lad on loan over there and ingwenya at Kelly hearts are getting good reviews so could come into the squad) 

In centre mid we have 3 good players in Ferguson, mccrorie and Barron but for 2/3 seasons we’ve been crying out for an attacking midfielder who can link up play between midfield and attack, so that is the type I’d sign for there 

In attack we need a centre forward and a winger they can compete with 3 you listed for those positions. 

So in short I’d keep the 11 you listed plus polvara sign 6 more that’s 18, couple of players  on loan should be able to step up also. I recon we go with a squad of 20/22 players.

I’d probably keep hayes as a squad player to 

Right, cheers

That makes a bit more sense.

Has Goodwin confirmed Ojo and McGeouch won't have contracts renewed? 

Always thought McGeouch was OK. Never really did anything wrong when he played but never did anything amazing either. Would've liked to see him given more of a chance but given he wasn't I wouldn't be bothered about him leaving.

No one has mentioned Deano yet. I know some like him but suspect that's more to do with him being a youth product rather than anything to do with ability as he's never looked good to me.

16 minutes ago, Daisy1903 said:

Always thought McGeouch was OK. Never really did anything wrong when he played but never did anything amazing either. Would've liked to see him given more of a chance but given he wasn't I wouldn't be bothered about him leaving.

No one has mentioned Deano yet. I know some like him but suspect that's more to do with him being a youth product rather than anything to do with ability as he's never looked good to me.

McGeouch has started about 120 league games in the last 11 years. 

28 league starts in 2 1/2 seasons here at an average of 11 starts per season both here and indeed across his entire career.

He's got to go.

1 hour ago, Daisy1903 said:

It was said on here that he has but even if he hasn't, they are now into the final 8 weeks or so of their contracts, it's rare any player is left hanging on so long without being offered a new contract so I'd say it's fairly certain they're leaving. 

Correct decision too. McInnes had clearly, and correctly, decided Ojo wasn't good enough and shipped him out on loan. Not quickly enough to save him from the bullet though. And Mr Incompetent Glass saw something in him no-one else did and brought him back, playing him in a variety of positions that he was mostly unsuitable for.

McGeouch, when fit, showed glimpses that he had the right quality. But he was just very rarely fit. Added to that he's 30 on his next birthday.....again correct decision to let him go. I can absolutely see him signing for McInnes again at Kilmarnock in the summer. He's in no position to demand wages anything like what he got with Sunderland and us to a lesser extent. Carefully managed he's probably good for 25-30 games a season if you accept he might only manage maybe 6 weeks at a time then rested for a couple of weeks and it being a good idea to sub him off in as many matches as you can afford to do so to protect him from injury (or start him from the bench)

6 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Yeah I get that but the thread is titled who would you keep.  

And some folk have double figures listed. 

Which would give you practically the same team next season with a few additions. When they've already proved they are a busted flush. 

Depends who we sign , if we bring in two starting CH the Bates and Gallagher are fine as back up squad players . Big summer ahead we need to be signing at least 6 first team starters ( love The Prodigy )

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

It was said on here that he has but even if he hasn't, they are now into the final 8 weeks or so of their contracts, it's rare any player is left hanging on so long without being offered a new contract so I'd say it's fairly certain they're leaving. 

Correct decision too. McInnes had clearly, and correctly, decided Ojo wasn't good enough and shipped him out on loan. Not quickly enough to save him from the bullet though. And Mr Incompetent Glass saw something in him no-one else did and brought him back, playing him in a variety of positions that he was mostly unsuitable for.

? I remember being lambasted on here by a lot of folk about 8 months ago about how good ojo was and mccinnes just played him in the wrong position and glass is finally getting the best out of him. I’m calling I was so right with what I said ???

17 minutes ago, thurso said:

? I remember being lambasted on here by a lot of folk about 8 months ago about how good ojo was and mccinnes just played him in the wrong position and glass is finally getting the best out of him. I’m calling I was so right with what I said ???

That’s a total lie. Show us the posts that say how good he was etc. 

You’ve made a statement now back it up. 

2 hours ago, DelMonte said:

That’s a total lie. Show us the posts that say how good he was etc. 

You’ve made a statement now back it up. 

If I knew how to or had the time go back and look for posts from 8 months ago I would but they are there especially from first few games of this season when he was more attacking or left wing against the European minnows 

or get posts from one topic to the other 

I'm gonna go right against the grain here and say I believe that Bates and Gallagher will come good. 

Both have had horrendous moments this season, but both have proved....at points, and nowhere near enough.....that they have the potential to form a decent centre back partnership. 

They haven't been helped by Ramsey having a nightmare season as a defender, and the left back position jumping between an untried youngster that has been injured, and an aging winger. 

I'm actually idiot enough to believe/hope that we have a basic framework of players that can be built on. 

Hic.