In the News

Ramandu

10 minutes ago, Poodler said:

A major factor is the rigid and uncompromising mindset of your aging population. The likes of Maryhilldon etc - over 50 and have believed what they’ve been told their whole lives. They believe the politicians, support the queen, believe the moon landings happened and now that were in an era with mounting evidence on the contrary, they don’t want to admit they’ve been wrong for a lifetime 

the road is rapidly changing, get out of the way if you can’t lend a hand. Cos the times they are a changing.

Reed a book a week cheers ? 

Didn't suggest you didn't. 

Just suggesting one for you!

Guest Grays Babylon 1875

Be fabricated stories coming out in the press in the next few days about Lyncho having sex with men with mangled hands, against their will, from 1982.

Guaranteed. 

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
5 minutes ago, CCB III said:

My money is on the Irish Republican angle. 

I'm not sure even the IRA would allow Edward Sizzledhands near them

Eeeeshk. 

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
52 minutes ago, Don Fonte said:

Not much you'd know about that you pot bellied poof.

Ah no.

Dopey philistine communist scum.

Fuck.

Off.

6 hours ago, CCB III said:

How is it defensible @For Fecks Sake that there are more billionaires in the country than ever before, and simultaneously more people using food banks than ever before? 

How can there be more working poor than there's ever been, people relying on state benefits etc to supplement their full time wage, and more millionaires/billionaires created throughout the pandemic? 

What's the justification for it? Do we just accept it? That's the natural order?

Food banks are a shame on the govt (both Westminster and Hollywood) and no way should they have to exist.

If someone has become a millionaire or billionaire be it a result of the pandemic or otherwise then what? Good for them for being successful in whatever field they work in and most likely creating employment, paying taxes etc. along the way. Not every millionaire or billionaire is a cunt despite what you think.if you do then that's just sounds like jealously to me (again).

If you are referring to dodgy PPE contracts and the like then no issues with throwing them in jail - MP's included - and taking back the cash.

Do you have to accept it, well the question is what are you going to do about it?

6 hours ago, CCB III said:

How is it defensible @For Fecks Sake that there are more billionaires in the country than ever before, and simultaneously more people using food banks than ever before? 

How can there be more working poor than there's ever been, people relying on state benefits etc to supplement their full time wage, and more millionaires/billionaires created throughout the pandemic? 

What's the justification for it? Do we just accept it? That's the natural order?

Can't believe that's true Consi. If it is it's only because the population is so much bigger. My grandad used to tell me about when he was a docker and my gran worked in the jute mills living on the Hilltown. That was proper poverty.

6 hours ago, Poodler said:

A major factor is the rigid and uncompromising mindset of your aging population. The likes of Maryhilldon etc - over 50 and have believed what they’ve been told their whole lives. They believe the politicians, support the queen, believe the moon landings happened and now that were in an era with mounting evidence on the contrary, they don’t want to admit they’ve been wrong for a lifetime 

the road is rapidly changing, get out of the way if you can’t lend a hand. Cos the times they are a changing.

Reed a book a week cheers ? 

Nice try. ? 

crackpot. 

34 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Food banks are a shame on the govt (both Westminster and Hollywood) and no way should they have to exist.

If someone has become a millionaire or billionaire be it a result of the pandemic or otherwise then what? Good for them for being successful in whatever field they work in and most likely creating employment, paying taxes etc. along the way. Not every millionaire or billionaire is a cunt despite what you think.if you do then that's just sounds like jealously to me (again).

If you are referring to dodgy PPE contracts and the like then no issues with throwing them in jail - MP's included - and taking back the cash.

Do you have to accept it, well the question is what are you going to do about it?

Agree if it's been done honestly. Unfortunately for most it's been done through Government favours and old pals acts which is abhorrent.

• Upvote 1

It's been done by most on the back of hard work of others. Others whose Labour value has been deliberately suppressed in order to make them easier to exploit by the rich. 

It's no coincidence that inequality has increased rapidly in recent times. It's by design of the system we're forced to live under. 

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Can't believe that's true Consi. If it is it's only because the population is so much bigger. My grandad used to tell me about when he was a docker and my gran worked in the jute mills living on the Hilltown. That was proper poverty.

Of course it's not true. Would imagine whoever's using that line is talking about relative, rather than absolute, poverty.

Not looked at the numbers in a while, but iirc by pretty much any measure this country's poor are richer than they were 10, 20, 50 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

Of course it's not true. Would imagine whoever's using that line is talking about relative, rather than absolute, poverty.

Of course they are. That's clearly what he meant. Manboobs knows that too, he's just being obtuse. 

Very few people today are living 10 to a room, shitting in a hole in the ground outside and living without running water these days. That's pretty fucking obvious and it's a bit bizarre to need to clarify that. 

5 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

Not looked at the numbers in a while, but iirc by pretty much any measure this country's poor are richer than they were 10, 20, 50 years ago.

By any measure? Not compared to the richest they're not. The ones whose wealth has been created and is sustained off the backs and graft of ordinary people. 

Inequality is growing. Rapidly. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Of course they are. That's clearly what he meant. Manboobs knows that too, he's just being obtuse. 

Very few people today are living 10 to a room, shitting in a hole in the ground outside and living without running water these days. That's pretty fucking obvious and it's a bit bizarre to need to clarify that. 

By any measure? Not compared to the richest they're not. The ones whose wealth has been created and is sustained off the backs and graft of ordinary people. 

I genuinely wasn't being obtuse. How can there be more people living in poverty if there are less people living in poverty?

14 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

I genuinely wasn't being obtuse. How can there be more people living in poverty if there are less people living in poverty?

How can there be different types of "poverty" with each having its own "measure"? Beats me bud. Must be some kind of sorcery. 

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

How can there be different types of "poverty" with each having its own "measure"? Beats me bud. Must be some kind of sorcery. 

I get what you are saying but it's fair to compare eras no? Since that's what Consi did at the start.

No need for the combative tone BTW, we are generally on the same side here.

24 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We were talking about poverty not inequality. It's disingenuous to switch one for the other.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

I get what you are saying but it's fair to compare eras no? Since that's what Consi did at the start.

Yeah, of course it is. However I wouldn't say that a defence of "at least were not shitting in outside toilets like in the 1940's" for folk having barely enough to eat nowadays is great. 

4 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

No need for the combative tone BTW, we are generally on the same side here.

Fair point. Apologies. 

4 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

We were talking about poverty not inequality. It's disingenuous to switch one for the other.

Relative Poverty (which is what is being discussed) is a measure of inequality. 

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I thought we were just talking about poverty? I honestly think that conflating the two is misleading, though I appreciate it's common to do so.

During the financial crash in 2008, a lot of very rich people lost a lot of money, causing inequality (and therefore relative poverty) to go down. There was less relative poverty, but the finances of the poor didn't improve, they got worse. That seems to make it a bad measure of things.

42 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yeah, of course it is. However I wouldn't say that a defence of "at least were not shitting in outside toilets like in the 1940's" for folk having barely enough to eat nowadays is great. 

Fair point. Apologies. 

I'm not defending anything, just pointing out that Consi's original statement was wrong.