In the News

Ramandu

2 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Bleeding a radiator is not exactly a skill now is it and any bugger with a bit of nonce can do it.

Gas / fire maintenance requires specific training and passing a test in order to do it.

Hardly the same thing.

Ohhh I live in a block of flats and someone is bleeding their own radiators...are they insane ?

A bit of what?

Assuming you're not just being a dick, the issue isn't the radiator.

It's that it's not his responsibility.

I used the gas maintenance to oppose your changing of a lightbulb.

But if you want to continue with the light bulb fine.

What if the renter has a disability and can't change a light bulb ,bleed a radiator...

I remember living in a flat in uni with high ceilings and we had no ladder in the place provided by the landlord and were climbing on chairs and using boxes to get high enough to change a lightbulb.

Guest milne_afc

What if the radiator requires more than bleeding? How would an untrained idiot know? What if bleeding the radz causes further issues in the heating system? Who’s to blame? Because that’s what it’ll come down to when the untrained idiot wants to move out and asks for their deposit to be returned.

Factored living is coming anyway and the yoots of the day will be dreaming of being fucked in the arse by unscrupulous landlords.

5 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

I said I think, apologies I never made it clear it applied to the whole post. 

Property investment can be fair, and it can be a good solution for the landlord to provide themselves with a safe steady income. It works in many countries similar to ours in other ways. So I think just saying "it's immoral" isn't the solution. 

It's immoral to hoard housing. 

"Good solution for the landlord" 

Of course its a good solution for a landlord. They are guaranteed to make money, more or less. It's a great solution, if you're lucky enough to be able to afford multiple houses. 

I disagree, presenting the need for housing as a moral issue, akin to the providing of water, food, to people who need it, is probably the best way around it. 

If housing is viewed purely through the means of profit/loss, it's actual purpose, to house and protect people, is lost. 

It shouldn't be viewed as a commodity, more so an essential right.

25 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

I agree with most of that, certainly if you can have proof of paying rent for X number of months it should give you leeway in getting a mortgage, but then currently 0% mortgages are frowned upon and banks are under strict lending criteria. 

I think the main issue is price, which comes down to supply and demand and we need more supply and better efficiency of use with what we already have. Fairer terms for renters (I think it's getting there slowly in Scotland) is probably a big issue too. Another factor is the quality of housing in all sectors is pretty terrible. 

Agree. 

add in more shared equity deals with local authorities. 

But, ultimately, build more houses. Affordable houses. 
This was the problem with thatcher’s right to buy scheme. It helped millions own property that wouldn’t otherwise have done so but hindered millions by removing millions of good quality council houses. Actual houses with front and back garden not high rise shoeboxes. 

2 minutes ago, CCB III said:

It's immoral to hoard housing. 

"Good solution for the landlord" 

Of course its a good solution for a landlord. They are guaranteed to make money, more or less. It's a great solution, if you're lucky enough to be able to afford multiple houses. 

I disagree, presenting the need for housing as a moral issue, akin to the providing of water, food, to people who need it, is probably the best way around it. 

If housing is viewed purely through the means of profit/loss, it's actual purpose, to house and protect people, is lost. 

It shouldn't be viewed as a commodity, more so an essential right.

I’m not disagreeing with the points you are regurgitating. I said one or two houses. 

Anyway what’s your thoughts on a solution? 

3 minutes ago, Redforever86 said:

I’m not disagreeing with the points you are regurgitating. I said one or two houses. 

Anyway what’s your thoughts on a solution? 

More public housing, higher taxes on those who want to abuse the private market, rental caps for areas appropriate to income. 

That's my solution in the current society 

The back of my brain says, remove their heads from their shoulders and redistribute the houses to who need them 

That's just me tho. 

28 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

What if the radiator requires more than bleeding? How would an untrained idiot know? What if bleeding the radz causes further issues in the heating system? Who’s to blame? Because that’s what it’ll come down to when the untrained idiot wants to move out and asks for their deposit to be returned.

Factored living is coming anyway and the yoots of the day will be dreaming of being fucked in the arse by unscrupulous landlords.

Have you ever bled a radiator?

37 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

I’ll answer as soon as you do about your degrees.

I do, two of them. Honours and then a Masters.

But if you can be arsed to trawl back I am more than happy to admit that academic qualifications do not equate to being smart, better or whatever you want to call it.

Most of the people I know with serious academic qualifications have fuck all common sense or car crashes of private lives. However I reckon they still know how to bleed a radiator.

2 minutes ago, Poodler said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/9070023/dana-fowley-partner-reward-find-abusers/

im interested in how she ended up being tied up as an adult at a dogging spot. 

if she was kidnapped and tied up I’m sure the dibble would be taking it more seriously.

sounds like she went dogging and didn’t like it 

Book to sell if you notice ?

Guest milne_afc
3 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

I do, two of them. Honours and then a Masters.

But if you can be arsed to trawl back I am more than happy to admit that academic qualifications do not equate to being smart, better or whatever you want to call it.

Most of the people I know with serious academic qualifications have fuck all common sense or car crashes of private lives. However I reckon they still know how to bleed a radiator.

Yeah, I’ve bled radz before. Not that had any relevance to the post you replied to.

It’s the landlords responsibility, so I wouldn’t as a point of principle.