In the News

Ramandu

25 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Personally,  I think constantly focusing on race just creates a  'them and us'  mentality.  It's counter productive. We should all just rub along in harmony and forget our differences.  You don't agree?

moobz has a theory on this.  

wouldn’t mind hearing it again

16 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

It's them that's accentuating it these days though,  which was my original point.  Time to move on from historical grievances and look to a brighter future,  like in the telly adverts.

But the grievances aren't historical, some of them are from the here and now, the history of it is important to understand the here and how. 

They are accentuating it because it's still happening, despite people, like you, thinking it's not. 

Granted it's not as bad as say 50 years ago, and it's unlikely to go anywhere entirely, but just going more or less "god are yous STILL moaning" is really unfair. 

Look into CRT. You might not agree with all of it but presents some really, in my view, good arguments that's I agree with. 

2 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-62563165

It's now receiving national coverage, my bet that this bloke is in the role for < 6 months is looking wildly optimistic, I reckon it could just be a matter of days now.

Only 9 days between the advert going live and closing.

Quite short for the public sector that, it has been a jobs for the boys (literally)...that has now gone wrong.

If they are willing to ride it out and let the storm settle, he'll last no bother.

Funded by the Scottish Government, so you wonder if pressure will be brought to bear.

1 minute ago, Reed or deed said:

Doesn’t matter who they elect.

All rotten bastards to the core.

True, but her plan to deal with the cost of living problem is just to cut taxes, which doesn't help pensioners / disabled people / people on benefits at all , and barely makes a difference to the low paid. It'll mainly help people who don't even notice their fuel bills. How can someone get it so wrong?

6 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

True, but her plan to deal with the cost of living problem is just to cut taxes, which doesn't help pensioners / disabled people / people on benefits at all , and barely makes a difference to the low paid. It'll mainly help people who don't even notice their fuel bills. How can someone get it so wrong?

Because that is the Tory policy.

I must admit, i don’t see why a big percentage of folk on benefits should be getting any more help, unless they genuinely can’t work.

Some of these idle lazy bastards would get off their arses and get jobs, there wouldn’t be so many problems in this country.

7 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Unfortunately because she is insane .

Dominic Cummings who is a complete prick but happy to dish the dirt has specifically referenced her insanity.

Thatcher much that I dance on her grave was only actually insane in her latter years 

8 minutes ago, Reed or deed said:

Because that is the Tory policy.

I must admit, i don’t see why a big percentage of folk on benefits should be getting any more help, unless they genuinely can’t work.

Some of these idle lazy bastards would get off their arses and get jobs, there wouldn’t be so many problems in this country.

What about pensioners who don't pay tax,  or people that earn minimum wage? Apparently her tax plans would save someone on minimum wage about £1 a week ?

4 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

What about pensioners who don't pay tax,  or people that earn minimum wage? Apparently her tax plans would save someone on minimum wage about £1 a week ?

Aye that is a real concern for sure.

But what are they supposed to do?

Global and economical factors are heavily stacked against them. (So they claim)

Let Russia have the Ukraine would be a start.

Makes me laugh when I hear hospitality employers complaining they can't recruit staff. Well if you insist on paying someone minimum wage to burst their balls all weekend, what do you expect?  The presenter on Ch4 news just suggested it's an employees market and they can name their price, but look at any vacancies online and they're still only offering minimum wage. Paying a bit more than minimum wage would make it more attractive,  but they're too tight fisted.

58 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Makes me laugh when I hear hospitality employers complaining they can't recruit staff. Well if you insist on paying someone minimum wage to burst their balls all weekend, what do you expect?  The presenter on Ch4 news just suggested it's an employees market and they can name their price, but look at any vacancies online and they're still only offering minimum wage. Paying a bit more than minimum wage would make it more attractive,  but they're too tight fisted.

@manboobs109 when do you think the post Brexit Labour market sort itself?

I think it's a great idea in theory but the market isn't sorting itself out, people having to fight tooth and nail for wage rises even in line with inflation and hospitality still offering minimum wage. 

2 years since we left the EU, and I like the idea that an upside to the end of freedom of movement would increase wages due to labour market scarcity, but it doesn't seem like it's had the desired impact? 

Keep hearing talks of a high wage economy but it's yet to materialise. 

It's almost like no matter what, without some economic planning, you're getting fucked. 

17 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Was watching that as well. Had to laugh at the bloke paying agency staff in his pub, how about you offer staff the rate you are paying the agency as opposed to offering minimum wage? 

Then again what was it, 1.7 million jobs currently open in the UK, while it could be argued it may not be the job you want, just shows that there are jobs out there if you really want one.