VAR in the SPFL

4 hours ago, CCB III said:

How many stadiums can show replays etc on a screen so we all know what's going on? 

Thats where the camera's come in. For the home viewers at least!!

Zooming into the wee monitors the refs looking at, but if its a decision against either arse cheeks the camera will show the back of the refs heed or blurred if he's stood at side of monitor....

?

23 hours ago, Bamber said:

Honest question where does var go? 

main stand side doesn’t work too high and advertising boards. South stand side would imagine you need a gap of supporters and the track isn’t that big. Pretty much the same in front of the ends

that leaves corners merkland/ main is ambulance route main/rdl possible. Rdl south? In front of a baying away support? South/merk possible. So I guess south merk corner and main rdu corner?

the personnel will probably be in a portages cabin in the car but fair point , where do they put all the cameras that are required 

On 4/19/2022 at 6:57 PM, Bamber said:

Honest question where does var go? 

main stand side doesn’t work too high and advertising boards. South stand side would imagine you need a gap of supporters and the track isn’t that big. Pretty much the same in front of the ends

that leaves corners merkland/ main is ambulance route main/rdl possible. Rdl south? In front of a baying away support? South/merk possible. So I guess south merk corner and main rdu corner?

In the purpose built VAR viewing section of our new stadium by the beach.

Only club in Scotland equipped with all singing all dancing tech.

Sheltered to avoid the coins from away fans should any audacious ref turn over a decision and take away a hun penalty.

1 hour ago, redstrummer said:

the personnel will probably be in a portages cabin in the car but fair point , where do they put all the cameras that are required 

More the monitors for the ref  to view.  My probsble worry is the ref has to go view a monitor. Grounds in scotland tend to be close to the pitch- unless we have a zone around them most grounds the ref will have hoards pulling faces from a foot away shouting obscenities 

VAR will be a nightmare in Scottish football. Anyone thinking that this will somehow level up the plethora of dodgy decisions that Celtic and Rangers get has got it badly wrong. 

All that will happen is that officialdom will double down on these decisions. 

VAR will benefit 2 clubs, and 2 clubs only in Scottish football. 

• Upvote 1
On 4/19/2022 at 5:15 PM, Andy_123 said:

VAR will be an absolute farce up here.

Instead of complaining about the refs getting things wrong in real time, we'll just be complaining about them getting it wrong watching it on the screen.

It will just be used to give Celtic and Rangers even more decisions than they already get.

Correct.

There will be no point in celebrating goals now.

Particularly against the mutant infirm.

Whole move leading up to a goal picked apart until they find something "wrong".

It'll be an absolute clusterfuck from start to finish.

Fuck that.

And fuck modern day football. 

• Upvote 2

Was inevitable it would happen at some point as it becomes common in other leagues. The match going fan suffers though - it's bad enough when you celebrate a goal and then find out it's offside as it is!

Correcting clear and obvious referee errors should be the only way it's implemented. They overdo it in England. 

• Upvote 1

The only problems I have with var is when it was brought in it was meant to stop goals from being chopped off when they were legitimate goals but it seems to have gone the other way and every goal is scrutinised to see if it should stand 

and if it takes 2 minutes to decide it’s a goal it should stand it shouldn’t take longer than 20 seconds to decide mind you the arse cheeks will want 5 minutes used for every goal against them 

13 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

The way they use it in England is pathetic.

Offside because half a finger or a shoelace is past the line of the last defender. Fuck that.

Couple of weeks ago West ham game.

Guy beat about 5 on a run then did a one two with team mate and smashed it in,terrific goal.Was ruled aff side because the team mate he did the one two wee,had his hand offside.

Games going daft.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Dynamo said:

Was inevitable it would happen at some point as it becomes common in other leagues. The match going fan suffers though - it's bad enough when you celebrate a goal and then find out it's offside as it is!

Correcting clear and obvious referee errors should be the only way it's implemented. They overdo it in England. 

You could add to this. If the referee has made a clear and obvious error, don't give them the chance to review it and change their mind, just tell them, "Aye John, that's not a penalty, you've arsed that up". This nonsense with them having to make the screen gesture to then review it, for the fans to wait and see which way they point. If a panel tell you you're made a mistake then that should be it. More often than not the on field ref agrees to change their decision anyway. Would speed everything up

3 hours ago, thurso said:

The only problems I have with var is when it was brought in it was meant to stop goals from being chopped off when they were legitimate goals but it seems to have gone the other way and every goal is scrutinised to see if it should stand 

and if it takes 2 minutes to decide it’s a goal it should stand it shouldn’t take longer than 20 seconds to decide mind you the arse cheeks will want 5 minutes used for every goal against them 

Couldn't agree more. Certainly down in England it's used more to see if they can disallow a goal for anything at all, rather than correcting any obvious errors.

There should be a time limit on how long it can be reviewed for. If it's an obvious error, which is what this technology is supposed to be used for, then it shouldn't take any time at all to see it

29 minutes ago, TheRedPrawcess said:

You could add to this. If the referee has made a clear and obvious error, don't give them the chance to review it and change their mind, just tell them, "Aye John, that's not a penalty, you've arsed that up". This nonsense with them having to make the screen gesture to then review it, for the fans to wait and see which way they point. If a panel tell you you're made a mistake then that should be it. More often than not the on field ref agrees to change their decision anyway. Would speed everything up

A good idea which would definitely cut down on the time spent reviewing decisions, but I'm not sure that's going to work with the guys like Beaton up here. He'd just be telling the ref every decision should go Rangers way and that would be it. 

VAR will never work up here unless we have impartial officials in the video booths. There is no reason why a ref who's biased towards Celtic and Rangers on the pitch wouldn't be exactly the same watching the videos.

Left to me, I'd implement it using a similar approach as they do in the review system in cricket. Each team gets 3 "challenges" if they don't agree with a decision. In cricket they've got 15 seconds to challenge a decision, obviously it would be wrong to instantly stop play in football so the teams would still get 15 seconds to hit the review button (or an agreed signal if made by the team captain onfield) and then it would be looked at during the next break in play. A correct challenge results in the review being retained, an incorrect challenge and the review is lost. Once 3 reviews have been used up, tough shit for that team if they think something else has gone wrong. 

The umpires in cricket also have the ability to look at an incident again should they so wish. The ref could do this if he suspects serious foul play in football. And in cricket all wickets falling are looked at routinely. I'd suggest all goals scored be looked at routinely too. 

I get that VAR will cause games to become stop/start just by it's very nature but if it means that horrendous mistakes are eliminated then it's a price worth paying

15 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Left to me, I'd implement it using a similar approach as they do in the review system in cricket. Each team gets 3 "challenges" if they don't agree with a decision. In cricket they've got 15 seconds to challenge a decision, obviously it would be wrong to instantly stop play in football so the teams would still get 15 seconds to hit the review button (or an agreed signal if made by the team captain onfield) and then it would be looked at during the next break in play. A correct challenge results in the review being retained, an incorrect challenge and the review is lost. Once 3 reviews have been used up, tough shit for that team if they think something else has gone wrong. 

The umpires in cricket also have the ability to look at an incident again should they so wish. The ref could do this if he suspects serious foul play in football. And in cricket all wickets falling are looked at routinely. I'd suggest all goals scored be looked at routinely too. 

I get that VAR will cause games to become stop/start just by it's very nature but if it means that horrendous mistakes are eliminated then it's a price worth paying

Yeah I like the challenge system as well. Works really well in tennis too.