The Goodwin effect!

Don’t know where the Goodwin topic has gone? What’s everyone’s thoughts? I’m not having this shite about it not being his squad from anyone now! He’s almost had 10 games in charge now and a couple of international breaks to work with squad! Its been an absolute car crash so far! You expect a new manager to improve or at very least match the previous regime until they get their own boys in. Not only was it hard to see how he was an outstanding candidate at the time of appointment but we also paid 200k to release him from his contract! Seen absolutely nothing that has changed my mind! I hope I’m wrong but I’m seriously worried now that we are going to waste yet another season with a dud in charge! 

• Upvote 1

Big mistake was telling half the squad he doesn't want them before the end of the season. He's left himself having to hope there's enough of them with a modicum of professionalism to want to avoid the embarrassment of relegation. There's also little doubt that his honeymoon period here has already come to an end.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, slippers said:

Don’t know where the Goodwin topic has gone? What’s everyone’s thoughts? I’m not having this shite about it not being his squad from anyone now! He’s almost had 10 games in charge now and a couple of international breaks to work with squad! Its been an absolute car crash so far! You expect a new manager to improve or at very least match the previous regime until they get their own boys in. Not only was it hard to see how he was an outstanding candidate at the time of appointment but we also paid 200k to release him from his contract! Seen absolutely nothing that has changed my mind! I hope I’m wrong but I’m seriously worried now that we are going to waste yet another season with a dud in charge! 

You want me to post you some clean bedsheets or pay for your laundry or something?

What we're you expecting? A team that continually underperformed under Glass because ultimately they were shite, to suddenly start performing even though ultimately they are shite.

It's why he's having a clear out as it's obvious to the non-maniacal that this squad is shite. Let him get his own players in and then by all means start wetting your pants and bedsheets of its not any better after 18-24 months.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 7
4 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

You want me to post you some clean bedsheets or pay for your laundry or something?

What we're you expecting? A team that continually underperformed under Glass because ultimately they were shite, to suddenly start performing even though ultimately they are shite.

It's why he's having a clear out as it's obvious to the non-maniacal that this squad is shite. Let him get his own players in and then by all means start wetting your pants and bedsheets of its not any better after 18-24 months.

You do realise that this is way worse than anything under glass with the same players and hes meant to be a “better” manager? I don’t expect miracles but a good manager would of had us in the top 6 with the games he had at his disposal. Their is absolute no chance we would of been in a worse position had glass remained that is my point! It looks as if he’s already managed to lose the dressing room! 

• Haha 1

Agree with KSL.Do you really expect a squad of complete wasters to suddenly turn into something they are not, just because a new manager has come in?

They were shite with Glass in charge, shite with Goodwin in charge, and they’ll likely be shite at whatever club they end up at after Goodwin punts them.

It’s gonna be horrendous for the next year or more tho…

• Upvote 1

Goodwin has tried to stiffen the team up; it is a very rigid and formulaic 4-3-3.

The level of performance is unquestionably poorer than with the previous manager.

The central defenders aren’t up to it.

The full-backs rarely overload the wide areas in forward positions and by sitting back they invite opposing teams to play with 3 up. For spells today Livi even left 4 up.

The midfield 3 is generally flat and strictly positioned and nobody really taking responsibility, whether by instruction or otherwise, to make forward runs or support the striker.

The wingers stay very wide, so reliant on good deliveries and/or well-timed or late runs (see midfielders).

We’re slow to second balls.

The players seem to be accepting of adversity.

The team is generally playing with the handbrake on.

Goodwin hasn’t yet shown he’s capable of affecting this situation. Suffering for Glass’ poor recruitment maybe but no new manager bounce of any kind.

I’ve said in other threads he needs a good start to new season. None of this two or three windows crap.  If he’s a good coach, he’ll fix it. Time will tell and we’ll just need to be patient.. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
16 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

It’s not his squad and most of the squad are fucking shite and off in the summer. You name me any manager that would get a tune out of a squad in that situation

Aye bang on. 

No way I'm pointing any finger at Goodwin, he's inherited a squad of shite.

Until he gets rid & brings in his own players there's no way he can be blamed in anyway & anybody who is needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

3 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

Agree with KSL.Do you really expect a squad of complete wasters to suddenly turn into something they are not, just because a new manager has come in?

They were shite with Glass in charge, shite with Goodwin in charge, and they’ll likely be shite at whatever club they end up at after Goodwin punts them.

It’s gonna be horrendous for the next year or more tho…

I just didn’t expect us to go backwards after appointing a new manager. We all agree the team is shite, we all agree it was time for Glass to go but I won’t agree with you by saying I expected the results to be worse than before! I’m not hear to fight about it I just wondered what other peoples opinions was since the other Goodwin topic has disappeared! 

I certainly don’t expect Goodwin to sign 5-10 of his own players in the summer and still be in this mess “next year or more”  

25 minutes ago, Jigsaw666 said:

Big mistake was telling half the squad he doesn't want them before the end of the season. He's left himself having to hope there's enough of them with a modicum of professionalism to want to avoid the embarrassment of relegation. There's also little doubt that his honeymoon period here has already come to an end.

Yeah that part of his tenure so far is bizarre.

The squad, on paper, should be doing much better. But is it surprising a lot of them are contributing next to nothing when they’ve been told they are getting binned at the end of the season? Would anyone else keep putting in 100% at work if your boss told you you were getting binned in a few weeks time?

I’m not fully judging him yet, but I certainly wasn’t expecting to be getting dragged into the relegation zone after he arrived. He should be doing much better, given Glass was miles out his depth here and was arguably doing better than Goodwin is now.

1 win he has so far is it? 

1 hour ago, King Street Loon said:

Do you think if we would have kept Glass until the end if the season that we would be in a relegation fight?

58 minutes ago, slippers said:

I just didn’t expect us to go backwards after appointing a new manager. We all agree the team is shite, we all agree it was time for Glass to go but I won’t agree with you by saying I expected the results to be worse than before! I’m not hear to fight about it I just wondered what other peoples opinions was since the other Goodwin topic has disappeared! 

I certainly don’t expect Goodwin to sign 5-10 of his own players in the summer and still be in this mess “next year or more”  

We haven’t had the new manager bounce that a lot of sides seem to get, and that is concerning.
You could put it down to a number of things I suppose.

He could just be shite, a bad coach/manager etc.He has been steady, if unspectacular at St Mirren, but you wouldn’t expect him to take the club and players backwards?

He’s come in with a clear statement of intent, but to publicly announce that a lot of the players will be gone by the Summer, was a mistake.Already disenfranchised players will now give even less, which is how I read what’s happened since he came in.How would you react if a new boss came in, and said you were shite and you’d be gone in a few months?Most would give a big fat fuck you, and tread water until you left.

Credit to him for setting his stall out early, but reckon had he handled it slightly differently, then perhaps you could get a little bit more from them, before you bin them.

Hopefully it’s not costly (relegation) and short-ish term pain, leads to long term gain.

The biggest problem IMHO isn't the squad, or the appointment (though I would have preferred a longer recruitment process, instead of just settling for the easy option) but the timing of the change. To bin Glass after the January window, leaving Goodwin with a shitshow of a squad and no window until the summer to effect any meaningful change, is terrible judgement from Cormack. 

Sure, there is merit in saying there could and should have been a new manager bounce, but we can't have it both ways here; we wanted someone who would immediately identify the dead wood and carry out major surgery to it, as opposed to sticking with it until the end of the season. Now that he's done that however, he's stuck with those deadbeats until then.

I'm holding off on any judgement until he's had two full windows to get his own squad in place. Then in January, I will re-evaluate. Until then, the fans should get off his back and stop shitting the bed a la Amber Heard.

• Haha 1

He deserves time and at probably several transfer windows, which I hope he gets, although i suspect he won’t. The vultures are already circling. He’s inherited a bag of squirrels and we’re a rank rotten team. 
We have a short and medium term of mediocrity ahead of us and I think we need to accept that. He needs a win against Dundee and then we can at least put this season to bed. Not sure he will get it though.

that said, he’s made some strange decisions and he appears to have alienated more than those that he’s told, arguably prematurely, that they’re off. Not starting Calvin R today was mind boggling and as someone said on another thread, trying to play Ross M as the furthest forward of the 3 today, just didn’t work and we can all recognise why.

Swiss Tony made his appointment so quickly and in hindsight taking  time to reflect and better consider other options would have been wise, but we are where we are.

Big summer ahead and I hope he sets his sights higher than trying to sign current and former St Mirren players, which frankly doesn’t inspire. 

how do it come to this ?

1 hour ago, slippers said:

I agree with you, it's not bed wetting to expect a new manager to come in and perform better than he has done even if, as we all seem to agree, the players aren't quite good enough. They certainly should be good enough to perform better than bottom 6, struggling to stay in league. 

I live in a hearts strong hold (I despise them on the same level as I despise Putin) and that last game against them was an abomination, worst I have seen for many a year. It was fucking embarrassing and worse than anything Glass had mustered previously. 

I think we are generally creating more chances and putting more balls into the box since Goodwin came in. We are still basically hopeless though.

Clearly these players are not really playing for him - possibly because some of them had some kind of allegiance to Glass etc (guys like Ramirez) and others have already been told they are not wanted beyond the summer, while others are probably thinking they want away (Ferguson, Ramsay etc).

Goodwin's tried to stamp his authority on things, but it seems to have been counter productive.

I think I would probably question his formation and some of his team selections and substitutions - he is quite limited with what he has available to him, but playing Ojo ahead of Ramsay is a criminal offence. Playing McCrorie as an attacking midfielder is also insane.

I do think that things will pick up next season when the clear out is complete and he gets a load of new players in who want to play for him. It's just a worry as to how far this current slide is going to go this season - relegation playoffs are a fair possibility now and I wouldn't fancy us against a battling Arbroath side.

1 hour ago, Jigsaw666 said:

Yea, but you'd think the embarrassment of losing would factor in. But it hasn't. He'll get his chance with his team. But if AFC isn't within striking distance of European football by next Christmas I'd say Cormack will be the guy getting the blame. 

Jim Goodwin needs some serious cash to spend in order to get a team.

Let's see if he's going to be backed big.

We are meant to be the 3rd biggest club in Scotland but we are hearing his budget will be similar to that of hearts or hibs ?

Time this club showed some real ambition instead of the usual penny pinching.

17 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

He deserves time and at probably several transfer windows, which I hope he gets, although i suspect he won’t. The vultures are already circling. He’s inherited a bag of squirrels and we’re a rank rotten team. 
We have a short and medium term of mediocrity ahead of us and I think we need to accept that. He needs a win against Dundee and then we can at least put this season to bed. Not sure he will get it though.

that said, he’s made some strange decisions and he appears to have alienated more than those that he’s told, arguably prematurely, that they’re off. Not starting Calvin R today was mind boggling and as someone said on another thread, trying to play Ross M as the furthest forward of the 3 today, just didn’t work and we can all recognise why.

Swiss Tony made his appointment so quickly and in hindsight taking  time to reflect and better consider other options would have been wise, but we are where we are.

Big summer ahead and I hope he sets his sights higher than trying to sign current and former St Mirren players, which frankly doesn’t inspire. 

how do it come to this ?

I championed Goodwin before we got Glass even but fuck me I’m worried now. Gave Hayes a new deal and plays McCrorie as an AMC. Alienated the dressing room too.

Just now, ferlaytio said:

I championed Goodwin before we got Glass even but fuck me I’m worried now. Gave Hayes a new deal and play McCrorie as an AMC. Alienated the dressing room too.

Hayes was probably our best player today. At least he's fully committed. His problem is, as it has always been, he has an alarming inability to complete simple passes, and his final product is very hit and miss.

6 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

We have a crap squad, by our recent standards. But we have a good squad by Scottish premiership standards. I was at least half hoping he’d come in and give us that new manager effect that you see so often. 

he’s here now and have to give him at least a couple of windows. But the signs are absolutely terrible. I doubt he’ll be a success 

Almost as if he’s already lost the dressing room which is a massive worry if more than half of them will be here next season! 

He has to earn a second transfer window surely? If he are 8thth in December absolute no chance we should be giving him January after already signing 5-10 of his own players! It’s European challenge at bare minimum with his resources. No excuses! 

As I say I’m not here to piss people off I’m just giving my opinion and maybe I have expected to much but I don’t think any of us expected us to be in a relegation fight with 4 games remaining when we changed manager! 

29 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

how do it come to this ?

He has to earn those transfer windows! He’s showed us absolutely nothing to suggest he even deserves 1 transfer window! Obviously he should get the summer to shape his team I’m not saying we should sack him but he has to earn the January transfer window! To think that our budget has been enhanced by 2-3m this summer it’s an absolute disgrace from top to bottom! 

One problem that could become a serious 1 is if we stay up but don’t hit any kind of form, what kind of player is actually going to want to join us when our manager has maybe a 10-15% win rate? We are in a bad spot! I just hope we can nick 1 or 2 wins before end of season! 

29 minutes ago, Dandiesmin68 said:

We are meant to be the 3rd biggest club in Scotland but we are hearing his budget will be similar to that of hearts or hibs ?

Who has heard this and where? 

23 minutes ago, Dandiesmin68 said:

Well we're all much the same size so no surprise there.

6 minutes ago, Jigsaw666 said:

Well we're all much the same size so no surprise there.

Cormack said that we have 2-3m extra budget this season. If that is true I’d suggest we have probably spent 3-4m this season more than hibs and hearts? Guessing but I don’t think they would have our budget from last season never mind this season!