The Goodwin effect!

3 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

What is becoming clear now is that this isn’t getting fixed in one transfer window or even two. This might take 2 or more years and will Goodwin will be there to see it through?

If we only take in 6 players this summer but they are a good quality, that might have to do for the time being. Gradual improvement but with a bigger picture in mind.

Sounds great when renewing or buying a season ticket to help the club out, itl be sorted in 2-3 years. Maybe.

shambles of a club

sign me up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

What is becoming clear now is that this isn’t getting fixed in one transfer window or even two. This might take 2 or more years and will Goodwin will be there to see it through?

If we only take in 6 players this summer but they are a good quality, that might have to do for the time being. Gradual improvement but with a bigger picture in mind.

He won't be here to see it through and we won't bring in 6 good quality players in the Summer.

It already appears they are struggling to attract players (no surprise there). We'll end up with a couple of St Mirren or ex St Mirren players, One or 2 players from overseas who nobody will have heard of and may or may not be good and some shit loans from clubs like Brighton and Wolves.

Buckle up, next season is going to be as much of a shitshow as this one (if not worse).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Feel said:

At the press conference, Goodwin said that the club are talking to 6 players and are 'trying to move contract negotiations along with one or two'. That is it. He said the contract negotiations were dragging on .He also said, contrary to his comments a week ago, that it will not now be humanly possible to get the squad intact before pre-season commences.

There is no chance he will have a clean, shiny new squad for next season. Probably a goalie, 2 ex St Mirren players, two or three other uninspiring additions. Goodwin himself seems considerably less confident about the recruitment now and he will possibly have to work with a lot of the same site he has now simply because there are already too many leaving (in number) and there will be no easy task bringing in 6 decent ones.

Where in Canada are you from ?

31 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Have you seen the state of the league? With our resources there is absolutely no excuse not to finish at least top 4 next season.

• Upvote 3
4 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Have you seen the state of the league? With our resources there is absolutely no excuse not to finish at least top 4 next season.

Absolutely but what decent player will be interested in coming?

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, RUL said:

Didn’t Aitken then have us finish 3rd and the following season had us 2nd at Christmas before the wheels came off spectacularly? 

I thought glass was useless but that we had a decent side who a competent manager would end the season strongly. 

Goodwin has left me feeling like we need 11 new players.

The squad glass built was dire! Look back at it again. A terrible, unbalanced shambles of a squad. With pish like Gurr, JET, bates and that boy from Newcastle. 

I'll wait until next season to unleash the wrath once it's 'his squad', however the early signs do not look good. 

This has to be the most gutless Aberdeen squad I've ever seen. A lot of them downed tools months ago, half of them never even picked them up.

Something terribly wrong with our club at the moment and it all starts at the top with our bacon & rowie loving chairman. 

He gets a few months from me. Inherited a pish poor squad, which barely won a game the year prior, with no chance to bring players in. 

i don't get this new manager bounce thing. Plenty of clubs bring in managers, with it taking time to get teams sorted. 

he did make an error in telling players they were off before we were safe though, imo

26 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

No decent player will want to come to us unless we offer them extortionate amounts of money (which we obviously won't).

Next seasons squad will be worse than this seasons.

How have we got to the point that people come out with this pish? How the fuck would you know? Jesus Christ. 

25 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

He gets a few months from me. Inherited a pish poor squad, which barely won a game the year prior, with no chance to bring players in. 

i don't get this new manager bounce thing. Plenty of clubs bring in managers, with it taking time to get teams sorted. 

he did make an error in telling players they were off before we were safe though, imo

The squad he inherited was pish like you say. Even within the poor squad, there was little option for player rotation. He couldn't swap out any CB's to try and shut teams out and you'd argue the only alternative option he had upfront, he said wasn't fit enough then released. 

He's made some bug decisions, some I don't 100% agree with. Makes you think he know's exactly what he wants to do however.

8 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

How have we got to the point that people come out with this pish? How the fuck would you know? Jesus Christ. 

Its great you have faith in our shit manager (who can't motivate and has zero man-management skills) to be able to source good quality players and convince them to join.

7 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Its great you have faith in our shit manager (who can't motivate and has zero man-management skills) to be able to source good quality players and convince them to join.

How about a £20 bet we finish next season higher than this season then? If you genuinely believe the squad will be worse then put your money where your mouth is. Loser pays to a charity of a winners choice. 

4 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

How about a £20 bet we finish next season higher than this season then? If you genuinely believe the squad will be worse then put your money where your mouth is. Loser pays to a charity of a winners choice. 

I'll take that bet on the condition that Goodwin is still our manager at the end of next season. When a new (and decent) manager replaces him who can actually motivate players and knows what he is doing then the bet is null and void.

1 hour ago, RUL said:

Absolutely but what decent player will be interested in coming?

1 hour ago, zeroisgod76 said:

No decent player will want to come to us unless we offer them extortionate amounts of money (which we obviously won't).

Next seasons squad will be worse than this seasons.

You are all fully aware of how crap we are but I think you are OVER estimating the quality of the rest of the league.

What player will want to come here? One who wants a pay rise, to join a big club and to use our training facilities. Scott Severin came here the year after we finished 11th. Robson and Flood came here after we'd finished bottom 4 four years in a row. These guys immediately improved us.

We've had one terrible season in the last 9. We should be able to compete, but like everyone else I have serious doubts Goodwin is the man to achieve it. 

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

I'll take that bet on the condition that Goodwin is still our manager at the end of next season. When a new (and decent) manager replaces him who can actually motivate players and knows what he is doing then the bet is null and void.

Okay fair enough. If Goodwin is gone then we just leave it. 

?

• Upvote 1

I've changed my mind on Goodwin. You can just tell from his interview that he is fucking raging with those cunts in the dressing room. A great opportunity, a clean slate, the dressing room is getting emptied of the dross and the loser mentality, hopefully filled with cunts who actually give a fuck. There is no pride in there, no determination, the first thing we need to do is get a captain, preferably centre half then build from there. 

How many players will we have left on the books at the end of this season?

How many of those can be considered first team players/squad

How may new signings do we need, of a standard to walk straight into the first team?

And will Goodwin be able to get them to play as a team?

A better manager definitely could have done a better job since February or whenever it was.

Coming into the end of the season there's every chance we could have been talking about...

Joe Lewis being back to his best

McKenzie being sold to a club in England (this was the chat at the start of the season)

Ramsay being out of this world

Bates & Gallagher recovering from a slow start and looking every bit like the players who have played for Scotland (more than Reynolds managed...which is a disgrace!)

Ferguson & McCrorie thriving now that Brown is gone.

Barron being a great discovery who should have been playing earlier (only thing we are saying)

Any of Hayes/Vicente/Watkins/Ramirez being a superb frontline

A better manager could have achieved this. 

LIKE DEREK ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

A better manager definitely could have done a better job since February or whenever it was.

Coming into the end of the season there's every chance we could have been talking about...

McKenzie being sold to a club in England (this was the chat at the start of the season)

Bates & Gallagher recovering from a slow start and looking every bit like the players who have played for Scotland (more than Reynolds managed...which is a disgrace!)

Barron being a great discovery who should have been playing earlier (only thing we are saying)

LIKE DEREK ❤️ 

MacKenzie and Ramsay either wouldn't have been here or still hidden away in the reserves had Derek been kept on, Ramirez and Vicente wouldn't have been here either, Watkins probably, Barron wouldn't have been in the team either.

• Upvote 3
25 minutes ago, perthshirered said:

I've changed my mind on Goodwin. You can just tell from his interview that he is fucking raging with those cunts in the dressing room. A great opportunity, a clean slate, the dressing room is getting emptied of the dross and the loser mentality, hopefully filled with cunts who actually give a fuck. There is no pride in there, no determination, the first thing we need to do is get a captain, preferably centre half then build from there. 

My concern is with the lack of coaching being seen on the park. JG was blasé with his “fix the defence in a couple of weeks” comment at the start.

I’ve not seen any change to our play across any of the pitch. He doesn’t seem to be raging at the side either, which would’ve at least indicated the players weren’t carrying out his new instructions. It just seems like nothing has been taught or learned on the training pitch. That’s what gives me the fear.

What’s the point in having a coach / manager, if it’s actually only down to the players and recruitment? 

4 minutes ago, minijc said:

MacKenzie

Was meant to go to Atlanta 2 but COVID stopped that, went off to Forfar and Derek signed his pal Leigh.

Pretty obvious that neither Barron, Ramsay or Mackenzie would've been anywhere near our first team.

Anderson was also criminally mis-used and not given a fair chance too 

• Upvote 3
Just now, Granite95 said:

Was meant to go to Atlanta 2 but COVID stopped that, went off to Forfar and Derek signed his pal Leigh.

Pretty obvious that neither Barron, Ramsay or Mackenzie would've been anywhere near our first team.

Anderson was also criminally mis-used and not given a fair chance too 

Absolutely, several young players were looking for a way out too, at least now we know we have some talented lads coming through and they know that there is a clear pathway in to the first team if they apply themselves.

5 minutes ago, minijc said:

Absolutely, several young players were looking for a way out too, at least now we know we have some talented lads coming through and they know that there is a clear pathway in to the first team if they apply themselves.

Aye exactly, how it should be, hopefully see guys like Ngwenya, Duncan, Hanratty (maybe) given a fair crack of the whip; be a damn site cheaper than bringing in dross like Kamberi, Hornby, JET, Wilson etc

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, minijc said:

MacKenzie and Ramsay either wouldn't have been here or still hidden away in the reserves had Derek been kept on, Ramirez and Vicente wouldn't have been here either, Watkins probably, Barron wouldn't have been in the team either.

I was just taking the piss with the Derek part at the end to be honest. The rest of the post isn't beyond the realms of possibilities with a decent manager who can get a group of players together.

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

LIKE DEREK ❤️ 

Ferguson was gash when Brown was here and hes been gash since he has been gone.  McCrorie not much better.  Whether another manager could of got them to play a better tune who knows.  We could of certainly done with Brown till the end of the season.  Terrible decision from Goodwin.  One of many so far.