Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

The Goodwin effect!

1 hour ago, pocrawred said:

According to Scottish sun, Hibs in for Jon Dahl Tomasson! 

C'mon Colgate, you know it makes sense...

Looks like it will be Lee Johnson who id of taken for us. Interesting to see how he does. If they get a name like Jon Dahl Tomasson it makes us look even more pathetic. 

JG certainly gives a decent press conference.  Proof will be in the pudding of course over the summer and into next season.  You just get the impression that the atmosphere in the dressing room is awful and that he just can’t wait to get the 10-11 players away from the club so he can get his own players.  Practically admitted that some of the players that he told  were not getting new contracts were pissed off and were possibly subconsciously not giving their all.  He was asked directly if he regretted telling them so early and said no.   He said these players are simply not good enough for Aberdeen and if they came to him asking if they were for a new contract he wasn’t going to wait 6 weeks he just told them there and then.   He did sound a bit more upbeat of getting players so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a lot of activity next week.  Full of praise for St Mirren and singled out Alnwick , Shughnessey and Ronan.   Said he has spoken to Shug a few times since leaving St M.  
Interesting few weeks / months ahead. Massive job ahead for him but willing to give him  a chance.   

32 minutes ago, Kiriakov33 said:

JG certainly gives a decent press conference.  Proof will be in the pudding of course over the summer and into next season.  You just get the impression that the atmosphere in the dressing room is awful and that he just can’t wait to get the 10-11 players away from the club so he can get his own players.  Practically admitted that some of the players that he told  were not getting new contracts were pissed off and were possibly subconsciously not giving their all.  He was asked directly if he regretted telling them so early and said no.   He said these players are simply not good enough for Aberdeen and if they came to him asking if they were for a new contract he wasn’t going to wait 6 weeks he just told them there and then.   He did sound a bit more upbeat of getting players so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a lot of activity next week.  Full of praise for St Mirren and singled out Alnwick , Shughnessey and Ronan.   Said he has spoken to Shug a few times since leaving St M.  
Interesting few weeks / months ahead. Massive job ahead for him but willing to give him  a chance.   

Has a manager come into a club and slated what was currently in place and turned it around in recent times? Just doesn’t really happen. If the atmosphere is toxic how is he going to change that. Doesn’t sound like it was toxic until he got here. Very worrying 

5 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Has a manager come into a club and slated what was currently in place and turned it around in recent times? Just doesn’t really happen. If the atmosphere is toxic how is he going to change that. Doesn’t sound like it was toxic until he got here. Very worrying 

No, it very much was, some players didn't like the previous manager, others did, some players didn't like a certain player, Goodwin got rid of him.  I think those that will be sticking around are guys Goodwin can trust to do a job for him, he'll have binned most of the unprofessional pricks, just glad he worked them out very, very quickly.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, minijc said:

No, it very much was, some players didn't like the previous manager, others did, some players didn't like a certain player, Goodwin got rid of him.  I think those that will be sticking around are guys Goodwin can trust to do a job for him, he'll have binned most of the unprofessional pricks, just glad he worked them out very, very quickly.

2 days it took him! Says it all really! 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, minijc said:

Sounds positive. Hope that’s proved right!

17 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Couldn’t be more wrong 

On 5/12/2022 at 6:43 PM, Beachend Bootboy said:

Saw the stupid fuck on the Grampian News tonight.  Said it wasn't a huge rebuild job.  Fuck me, we really are in the shite.

I'd hope for so much from him but looks like mid table mediocrity at best.  Fuckin' dick sponge.

I thought when you said the stupid fuck, you were on about that jug eared fucking qype Harvey

1 hour ago, minijc said:

I’m guessing the ones who didn’t like glass were the ones not getting a game. Also would probably be the first changeroom people didn’t like brown. 

We should really be getting a win tomorrow as Goodwin said he knows the players inside out so should really know their weaknesses. 

The worst aspect of the Glass legacy is that Goodwin has been left with a pair of centre backs that are probably the worst in the league. An unfit and ageing Considine showed more composure and awareness in 45 minutes than this pair have shown all season. Their body language is that of losers when you should be looking for your centre backs to inspire the team. They are both under contract, but we need to sign 2 centre backs as a priority with these two as backup at best.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, old sheep said:

The worst aspect of the Glass legacy is that Goodwin has been left with a pair of centre backs that are probably the worst in the league. An unfit and ageing Considine showed more composure and awareness in 45 minutes than this pair have shown all season. Their body language is that of losers when you should be looking for your centre backs to inspire the team. They are both under contract, but we need to sign 2 centre backs as a priority with these two as backup at best.

It’s a worry but equally (possibly more) a worry is our attacking creative players. Been absolutely terrible. 

Agreed, but I’m starting to have doubts 

they didn’t seem to either understand what they were doing or couldn’t be arsed 

polvara and Barron had some good flashes but how many times was the ball played backwards, yes I understand because there was not options 

but why not where’s the supporting runs from midfielders etc 

37 minutes ago, old sheep said:

Showed more composure?  hahaha was that before or after he'd given the ball away under no pressure or maybe just after he got himself injured diving in needlessly? 

9 minutes ago, minijc said:

Showed more composure?  hahaha was that before or after he'd given the ball away under no pressure or maybe just after he got himself injured diving in needlessly? 

You have obviously never played the game. Considine, for all his faults, brought a calmness to the defence. Bates and Gallagher are not an improvement if that is what you are implying.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, old sheep said:

You have obviously never played the game. Considine, for all his faults, brought a calmness to the defence. Bates and Gallagher are not an improvement if that is what you are implying.

People see what they want to see, i didn't see a calmness when he put them under pressure through errors he made.  

3 minutes ago, minijc said:

People see what they want to see, i didn't see a calmness when he put them under pressure through errors he made.  

The errors that Bates and Gallagher have made this season have cost us a lot of goals. Any errors made by Considine today were not in the immediate danger zone. My point is that Bates and Gallagher are not good enough for Aberdeen. 

19 minutes ago, old sheep said:

The errors that Bates and Gallagher have made this season have cost us a lot of goals. Any errors made by Considine today were not in the immediate danger zone. My point is that Bates and Gallagher are not good enough for Aberdeen. 

and my point is, neither is a 35 year old Andy Considine. 

1 hour ago, old sheep said:

No coincidence Considine's return coincided with a very rare clean sheet.....

• Upvote 1
Just now, minijc said:

He played 45 minutes and went off injured, if anything it justified the decision to move on from him.

Aye fair enough if by moving on you mean replacing Bates and Gallagher because Considine is better than that pair of clowns

3 minutes ago, NEM said:

Aye fair enough if by moving on you mean replacing Bates and Gallagher because Considine is better than that pair of clowns

He really isn't, they are all much of a muchness, I'd rather have a Bates than him in the hope he finds form, mainly because he's 10 years younger and some of his issues can be fixed.

5 minutes ago, minijc said:

He played 45 minutes and went off injured, if anything it justified the decision to move on from him.

Aye if he can’t even jump for a header without injuring himself then maybe the old knee isn’t what it was before the injury.

If it wasn’t for the knee, he’d be our best CB by a long distance.