The Goodwin effect!

5 hours ago, Shinniesta said:

Goodwin revealing in his interview on Sportscene that some of the players he told are surplus to requirements and free to find a new club for next season threw their toys out of the pram. Guess most of us suspected that at least Goodwin has now confirmed it. Why some of them thought they would be getting kept on after their embarrassing performances this season is beyond me. 

Strange management for me. Should have just said he would assess things at end of season,

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, daytripping said:

What's happened to Deano, is he injured?

Not sure if your serious but he went on loan to killie? The rumour I saw is he’s one of those in contract told to find a new club. Admittedly I probably read that on here so unlikely this is true.

1 hour ago, RUL said:

Not sure if your serious but he went on loan to killie? The rumour I saw is he’s one of those in contract told to find a new club. Admittedly I probably read that on here so unlikely this is true.

It would be great if we had someone on here with a bit of inside info to share.....

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Shinniesta said:

Goodwin revealing in his interview on Sportscene that some of the players he told are surplus to requirements and free to find a new club for next season threw their toys out of the pram. Guess most of us suspected that at least Goodwin has now confirmed it. Why some of them thought they would be getting kept on after their embarrassing performances this season is beyond me. 

I bet quite a few of them are gutted 

Being on the Aberdeen FC payroll has been an easy ride good wages but no effort  required  just turn up,  what an easy life.

The only thing that has impressed to-date is about Goodwin is that he has identified the weak and will cull them and not before time.

It might be easier for him as they were not his boys they where previous managers players and he has no allegiance to them

Let's see who he can bring in, he keeps mentioning bringing in quality.

I suspect his standard of quality is nowhere near the quality we demand

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RUL said:

Strange management for me. Should have just said he would assess things at end of season,

These things should of been left a bit longer before being dealt with.  Totally agree.  Hope he proves me wrong but i think Goodwin is way out of his depth here.

The reality is he is young manager and this is the biggest club he has ever been involved with. He will make mistakes in how we handles certain situations but the main thing is the end result...he will be judged on the first 10 games of the new season and the club in general on the summer recruitment.

You can't argue that his judgment on the current crop of players is incorrect and action to get rid.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, RUL said:

What is strange about it?

The majority of players being let go must have had a fair idea that they weren't part of the plans going forward. 

It's also not uncommon to have a period of notice to allow them to seek a new club and allow their dodgy agents to leak deals and seek pastures new. 

It's a non story and a fairly standard procedure that goes on at every club telling players prior to the end of the season who are not part of the future plans that they're free to move on.

Can't wait to see how many are part of the cull. 

6 hours ago, Shinniesta said:

Not sure throwing your toys out the pram will help you get a new club either. I can understand frustration, disappointment, anger etc but surely you have to process that quickly and be professional enough to get your head down and work harder than ever to try to impress other clubs if nothing else. Apparently not. 

41 minutes ago, minijc said:

It is in a way but at the same time it shows you how easy it was for an outsider to come in and sus some of these chancers.  

I think all the judgements have probably been right, so that’s the positive. 

21 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

What is strange about it?

The majority of players being let go must have had a fair idea that they weren't part of the plans going forward. 

It's also not uncommon to have a period of notice to allow them to seek a new club and allow their dodgy agents to leak deals and seek pastures new. 

It's a non story and a fairly standard procedure that goes on at every club telling players prior to the end of the season who are not part of the future plans that they're free to move on.

Can't wait to see how many are part of the cull. 

I agree with his decisions ultimately and he’s explained his reasons for handling it, I just feel like we’ve abandoned the season.

there’s been visible signs that the players have given up and maybe that wouldn’t have been case if he had just strung them along 

At the time, I loved hearing that the players who'd let our club down, had been given their jotters.  It definitely provided some crumbs of comfort... to be honest, I wanted the players to take a taste of their own medicine.  However on reflection/bigger picture it probably wasn't the best approach, given that prize money, top 6 and potentially even european qualification, was still up for grabs.

4 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

At the time, I loved hearing that the players who'd let our club down, had been given their jotters.  It definitely provided some crumbs of comfort... to be honest, I wanted the players to take a taste of their own medicine.  However on reflection/bigger picture it probably wasn't the best approach, given that prize money, top 6 and potentially even european qualification, was still up for grabs.

Aye but to be honest when were we last even in a top 6 position. We were shite before that and have just continued to be shite. Don't know if it would have made a difference, we are just shite. 

I think the extra prize money just goes to the players anyway - as an incentive not to be shite

10 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Aye but to be honest when were we last even in a top 6 position. We were shite before that and have just continued to be shite. Don't know if it would have made a difference, we are just shite. 

Yup.   I don’t think lack of effort has been the problem , for the most part anyway.   Just a general lack of quality and ability collectively as a team.

15 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I think the extra prize money just goes to the players anyway - as an incentive not to be shite

We absolutely chucked top 6 away at dens 

14 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

It'll be interesting to see how much of the released guys end up at Killie. I can see McInnes signing up McGeough again.

Not sure he'd fancy the plastic pitch. Otherwise I could see him doing pretty well there if playing every week in a role that doesn't involve 2 other players being asked to do the exact same thing....

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Not sure he'd fancy the plastic pitch. Otherwise I could see him doing pretty well there if playing every week in a role that doesn't involve 2 other players being asked to do the exact same thing....

He'd probably sign up Dom Ball again as well just to keep his defensive midfield quota high.

I think McInnes will sign up McGeouch, McLennan, Campbell and considine, gives him a better midfield to start the SPL for next season and boxes off his centre backs seen as Taylor is already their. Ps I watched the final league game between Kilmarnock and Arbroath and Taylor is still better than any centre half’s we have, add considine for a bit of bite and he will do well to consolidate his position in the SPL in the first season back 

7 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

I think McInnes will sign up McGeouch, McLennan, Campbell and considine, gives him a better midfield to start the SPL for next season and boxes off his centre backs seen as Taylor is already their. Ps I watched the final league game between Kilmarnock and Arbroath and Taylor is still better than any centre half’s we have, add considine for a bit of bite and he will do well to consolidate his position in the SPL in the first season back 

Not everyones opinion, but for me Taylor over the course of a season is a good defender. His mistakes were always just so idiotic and fairly high profile. But he'd generally make a lot less than the current clowns on a monthly basis. They actually aren't even close to being as good as Taylor. I would prefer Phil McGuire and Zander Diamond as a central defensive partnership... even retired in their 40s and late 30s

I thought McGeouch might end up there too until I was reminded about their plastic pitch. Probably can rule him out on those grounds. The shout about Dom Ball signing for them could well be a good one though.

Campbell didn't exactly shine in his loan period there, doubt that will happen. And Considine's knee probably rules him out on similar grounds to McGeouch

They had power? 37 year old Burke?, that other centre mid that was 100, cannot mind his name, Taylor can’t be young, pish that they wouldn’t go in fear of a plastic pitch, 

campbell was asked the other day before he went in to training if he was going to end up at killie and he said “you never know” , not exactly wanted at Aberdeen and cannot see him breaking back into the first team squad 

5 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

They had power? 37 year old Burke?, that other centre mid that was 100, cannot mind his name, Taylor can’t be young, pish that they wouldn’t go in fear of a plastic pitch, 

campbell was asked the other day before he went in to training if he was going to end up at killie and he said “you never know” , not exactly wanted at Aberdeen and cannot see him breaking back into the first team squad 

Given the amount of players we have leaving I'd say next season is likely as good a chance as he'll ever get to stake a claim for a first team position. 

Has he played regularly at Killie?

Just now, Andy_123 said:

Given the amount of players we have leaving I'd say next season is likely as good a chance as he'll ever get to stake a claim for a first team position. 

Unfortunately not, played centre mid at the start but didn’t do well, got dropped and started playing lb for them, improved, definitely enough to get a deal 

23 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

Looks like he play around half a dozen times. He’d be daft to sign for mcinnes again