The Goodwin effect!

21 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Campbell needs to go - doesn't offer anything we don't already have.

Polvara looks neat and tidy etc but yet to do anything of real note in a game - hopefully he'll make a lot of progress next season.

Bez will do better in a team with other decent attacking players around him.

Masson? You're about 10-15 years too late... 

McKenzie is not as bad as some folk make out, but I don't think he's going to be good enough to help us achieve our targets.

McRorie is a solid, athletic player, but pretty limited on the ball - I'd play him at RB or RCB if we're going to a 3 at the back.

Lewis needs replaced, both as keeper and captain. We need a keeper in his prime who commands his defence, and a captain who inspires the team - Lewis does neither.

Do we?

Campbell struggled to play in the championship under McInnes at Kilmarnock, that’s with a coach that knew him, playing at a weaker level than the SPL, he couldn’t get a position before Calum waters in the left back position for fucks sake, kept out of midfield by the mercurial talents of mcginn,Alston or polworth. It’s a no from me.

18 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Do we what? Sorry, don't understand your comment...

You said he didn't offer anything we didn't already have.  Im not convinced (Im assuming Ferguson will go which basically leaves Barron and possibly McRorie on whom the jury's still out on as a midfielder).

In fairness I also agree with Dons79 comment above about whether we could do better based on what we saw at kilmarnock.  But at the moment we have him.  No point replacing him with, at best, like for like talents.  

Goodwin said: “I genuinely believed I could get them lifted and get into the top six.

As close as we will get to an admission he called his first challenge completely wrongly, would have been better saying players had a fresh start and could prove they were worthy of new contracts 

26 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

You said he didn't offer anything we didn't already have.  Im not convinced (Im assuming Ferguson will go which basically leaves Barron and possibly McRorie on whom the jury's still out on as a midfielder).

In fairness I also agree with Dons79 comment above about whether we could do better based on what we saw at kilmarnock.  But at the moment we have him.  No point replacing him with, at best, like for like talents.  

Ahh okay, i get you now. Fair enough - I suppose I was saying he didn't offer anything we didn't have last season, but given that as things stand we only have the 3 you mention (plus Polvara who is still relatively untested), one of whom will most certainly leave, one of whom isn't really a midfielder, and one of whom is still very young and inexperienced - you possibly have a point. Maybe worth hanging on to him until we see who else we can bring in, and maybe offload him nearer the end of the window if we can bring in better.

From what we've seen of Campbell as a midfielder he's the kind of player who will keep the ball fairly well and pass it around, but doesn't do much to affect a game. To be fair that is similar to what I would say about Polvara on the little we've seen of him so far.

1 hour ago, Reed or deed said:

McGeouch would have been one of the few players i would have kept.

Not sure what the club doesn’t see in him or have against him tbh, considering some of the other charlatans that have been in the side regular.

Probably his inability to stay fit for a sustained period of time and his lack of pace.

I also thought that McGeouch would have been a Goodwin type of player. However I suspect that as has been said above his fitness issues plus his high wage may have had Goodwin thinking he can get better value out of another player he has his eye on.

Also perhaps he just hasn't done enough in training to warrant a new deal. 

1 hour ago, Reed or deed said:

Not sure what the club doesn’t see in him or have against him tbh, considering some of the other charlatans that have been in the side regular.

30 on his next birthday, a high earner and fitness issues that have plagued him ever since his Hibs days.

When fit he was decent but for what we've spunked on wages on him in the past 30 or so months we just weren't getting a decent return on our outlay. Someone else can take a chance on him (love Abba) going forward. Probably on a lot less money than we paid him.

6 hours ago, Reed or deed said:

Mediocre, highish (?) wage, ageing, no resale value, fringe player with no prospect of development.  

We have Polvara who can probably do the same job as it is, for presumably much cheaper, with a chance of development, and possibly becoming a sellable asset.  Same might be said for Campbell (I still have hope), and then of course there's Barron who's already a far better player. 

I'd rather we tried to develop a youngster or bring someone in than hold onto McGeough. 

• Haha 1

I thought Goodwin would bring arrogance to the management of Aberdeen. McInnes lost his way when he started bigging up Sevco saying how difficult it was to compete with their resources, the beginning of the end for him.                  Looks like Goodwin’s yardstick is to be the next Hearts Ffs.

45 minutes ago, winchester83 said:

I thought Goodwin would bring arrogance to the management of Aberdeen. McInnes lost his way when he started bigging up Sevco saying how difficult it was to compete with their resources, the beginning of the end for him.                  Looks like Goodwin’s yardstick is to be the next Hearts Ffs.

Given we have just finished 10th and the rebuild job he's going to have to attempt, is he really going to come out and say we'll be competing with the cheeks next season? My take on that is he's talking about doing what Hearts did and go from a god awful season to third the following season. I'd like to think if he achieved that, thereafter he'd be more focused on closing the gap which is what Cormack said he wanted from the next manager after sacking McInnes (I know, I know...).  

• Upvote 1
51 minutes ago, Rico1903 said:

Given we have just finished 10th and the rebuild job he's going to have to attempt, is he really going to come out and say we'll be competing with the cheeks next season? My take on that is he's talking about doing what Hearts did and go from a god awful season to third the following season. I'd like to think if he achieved that, thereafter he'd be more focused on closing the gap which is what Cormack said he wanted from the next manager after sacking McInnes (I know, I know...).  

Sadly i doubt Goodwin has the ability to close the gap on Hearts, let alone close the gap on Rangers and Celic.

1 hour ago, Rico1903 said:

Your saying the patently obvious but missing the point.  He should just get on with the job and fotget other teams and admiring their success!                                     

2 hours ago, winchester83 said:

Hearts finished 3rd and into the Scottish Cup Final. If we got to that level next season most of us would be delighted with the progress.

You must be deluded if you think we're going to somehow compete with Rangers and Celtic.  Rangers finished 28 points clear of 3rd, won the Scottish Cup and were in the final of the Europa League.  Celtic won the league by 4 points above that.  

• Upvote 3
27 minutes ago, winchester83 said:

Your saying the patently obvious but missing the point.  He should just get on with the job and fotget other teams and admiring their success!                                     

Two different points. You said ‘Looks like Goodwin’s yardstick is to be the next Hearts’ which is what I responded to. If you actually meant he should just get on with the job etc that’s not what you said. 

15 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Hearts finished 3rd and into the Scottish Cup Final. If we got to that level next season most of us would be delighted with the progress.

You must be deluded if you think we're going to somehow compete with Rangers and Celtic.  Rangers finished 28 points clear of 3rd, won the Scottish Cup and were in the final of the Europa League.  Celtic won the league by 4 points above that.  

Most of our fans are deluded! 

12 minutes ago, Kincardine_Mearns_Red said:

Almost 30 yrs of very little does that. 32/33 years without a Scottish cup for instance.

Yup tottaly i get that 100%! it's turning me grey and loopy ?

44 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Aye the gap has never been bigger but the media will tell us to support them in Europe so they can make even more money.... and Sky Sports will continue to show all their games and only speak about them to further encourage all the thickos to give up on their local team and buy into their success

sigh

• Upvote 1

It is a matter of fact that since the late 90's, barring the Calderwood and McInnes eras, all other managers have hovered around a win rate of 1 in 3, which is absolutely abysmal for a club of our supposed size.

For me Goodwin has to be given the opportunity to shape his own team before "any toys are thrown out the pram".

However, if there is going to be a positive Goodwin effect into the medium to long term, I would expect the following minimum requirements for next season:

1) A win ratio of 40%+, with much improved clean sheets and goals scored statistics. 

2) 4th place minimum in the league, ensuring qualification for Europe. 

3) A run to at least the semi finals in one of the Cup competitions. 

Given the standard below the arse cheeks the foregoing is not too much to expect.

If Goodwin cannot come close to achieving same then there hasn't been an effect and he wouldn't be the right manager in the medium to long term.

However I do hope he succeeds albeit the ITK crew are a wee bit quiet with the sorely needed summer squad change Intel at this time.