The Goodwin effect!

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye we were all a bit shell-shocked by the manner of the performance on Saturday but it's the first game we've lost this season that we weren't expected to. 

Yeah it was a keystone cops performance but until we see how they react then we don't know if it's a portent of things to come or just an extremely bad day at the office. 

I would more say the hour against 10 man st mirren was more a shock of a performance than the other 2 this season. 

2 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Worrying thing is in the last couple of years whenever we've had a run of games that we 'should' be picking up decent points from, we've failed miserably.

In McInnes last season in January / February we had a run of Ross County, Motherwell, St Johnstone and Livingston twice and picked up 1 win and 2 draws.

Last year early in the season we had Ross County, St Johnstone, Motherwell and St Mirren and picked up 1 point. After the winter break we had St Mirren, Ross County and Livingston and again picked up 1 point.

After the Celtic game this season we had a run of games which on paper looked like it could set us up quite well for the season. We've already fucked up against Motherwell, we need at least 7 points from the next 3 before we go into games against Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and Kilmarnock. We need some sort of momentum, confidence and adhesion going into those games otherwise we could be in a really bad place after the first round of games.

Hibs not looked great and United are utter dung. Plenty time to pick up points . Granted we were awful on Saturday. New teams and new managers need time ffs.

That being said would of course Be delighted to be proven wrong 

40 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Hibs not looked great and United are utter dung. Plenty time to pick up points . Granted we were awful on Saturday. New teams and new managers need time ffs.

That being said would of course Be delighted to be proven wrong 

I agree with you. Saturday was just one game, really hopeful we can bounce back against St Johnstone.

It is worrying that the defence looks as fragile, potentially even more so than last season but there’s still time before the window shuts to bring in some quality there.

26 minutes ago, Kilgore Trout said:

Now you are just being silly. Not like you at all.

To be fair to Shooftah if Roberto meant 8 games from now then it’s mathematically possible. Not going to happen but if either of them won their next 8 games and we lost our 8 then the gap is 30 points. We’re 6 points behind them both after 3 games, If we can be within 10 points of them after the first round of 11 games we’ll be doing incredibly well.

To be fair to Shooftah if Roberto meant 8 games from now then it’s mathematically possible. Not going to happen but if either of them won their next 8 games and we lost our 8 then the gap is 30 points. We’re 6 points behind them both after 3 games, If we can be within 10 points of them after the first round of 11 games we’ll be doing incredibly well.

Great! 30+ points behind by the end of the season then! Out with the bunting! This is what supporting Afc is about nowadays.

Yeah i do agree, its just a little worrying how badly we capitulated. But hopefully an improvement in the next couple of games and a couple of decent signings before the deadline and it'll all look a bit brighter.

This seems to what supporting Aberdeen has come down to.

Just be optimistic, lads, and it will all be fine. The problems will eventually all go away. It can only get better. Nothing to worry about. Keep the faith. Believe in the team and the manager, he is doing a great job.

3 minutes ago, Stoneybloke said:

This seems to what supporting Aberdeen has come down to.

Just be optimistic, lads, and it will all be fine. The problems will eventually all go away. It can only get better. Nothing to worry about. Keep the faith. Believe in the team and the manager, he is doing a great job.

Our manager is shite… but taking that out of the equation all we can do is be optimistic.

• Upvote 1

For me Goodwin had to start the season well because he’s already burned through goodwill after his awful start to the job. Folk were on about Motherwell terrible European result being the worst ever, they absolutely outclassed us on Saturday. There are no signs Goodwin has a clue what to do.

• Upvote 6
13 minutes ago, RUL said:

For me Goodwin had to start the season well because he’s already burned through goodwill after his awful start to the job. Folk were on about Motherwell terrible European result being the worst ever, they absolutely outclassed us on Saturday. There are no signs Goodwin has a clue what to do.

Fail to win on Saturday and I think alot of people will be coming round to that thinking. Lets hope we get a good performance and result at weekend or I really fear things could get toxic pretty quickly. 

11 minutes ago, RUL said:

Other than bring in a whole set of new players, he's still not really stamped his identity on the team in terms of a style of play. The main difference seems to be that he wants fast players - that appears to have been the main criteria in quite a few of the signings. To be fair to him, we do look a bit faster throughout the team and we are attacking a bit better than last season as a result. It looks like we will score goals this season. We also look to be trying to pass the ball out from the back... similar to what Glass tried... however the only defender we have who can actually pass a ball properly is Scales, so it's not going to be long before we're caught out badly doing this.

Early days yet, and lots of new players bedding in, but think we need to be seeing some more signs of progress in the next few games, or alarm bells will be ringing... again.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, slippers said:

Fail to win on Saturday and I think alot of people will be coming round to that thinking. Lets hope we get a good performance and result at weekend or I really fear things could get toxic pretty quickly. 

I've made no secret of how i feel about Goodwin being appointed or hs abilities as a manager, however i don't want him to fail as if he does it means that as a club we're having yet another shit season. I would love us to finish 3rd this season, guaranteed group stage football next year and some good cup runs. Really hopeful we pick things up over the next few games... get our season on track.

1 hour ago, RUL said:

I’ll give him until the November break - that’s 16 league games & includes a League Cup quarter final hopefully 

Bare minimum, we need to be comfortable in the top 6.

If not, then I’m not sure he’s the man for the job. 

1 hour ago, RUL said:

He came with a shite track record from St Mirren.

What do you expect?

7 minutes ago, Donscanada said:

Lets give him a string of matches.   It is not like our contenders for euro spots is lighting the heather on fire.. two dumped in 3rd tier euro qualifying and the other out of league cup already. Only hearts seems to be consistent thus far...

So our main contender? 

I agree his results have been shite so far since he came in, over the piece. 

But chasing a manager 3 games into the league campaign on the back of a poor game against Motherwell when we've just brought in 11 new players is Hun behaviour.  

Last season the Glass fan club were critical of folk wanting him out in October and then again in January when the latest poll went up and saying he deserved more time.  17th August is just a tad premature.