The Goodwin effect!

1 minute ago, thurso said:

The players shouldn’t take that long to get to know each other. They are professionals who train together every day, we have signed 11 players it’s not as if we wouldn’t sign 9 or 10 regularly in past seasons. We should be winning every game up until the game against sevco and even then we should be taking the game to them at home and try and get something out of it. 

Please remind me the last time we signed 9 new players for the starting 11 

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Please remind me the last time we signed 9 new players for the starting 11 

Are we sure that 9 should be in the starting line up. But I’d say most of last seasons were signed as starters plus add in the young lads who went straight into the squad be close to 9

11 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

To be fair, the first two games weren't going to tell us much, as they were against the best and (arguably) weakest in the league respectively. The Motherwell game is hugely disappointing, given we conceded three times at home against a very ordinary side, but surely most of us knew when the fixtures were announced, that it would only be after a full round of fixtures against all the SPL sides (i.e. 11 league games, plus whatever cup ties in addition) that we'd see where the land lies. 

As it stands, I'm still willing to give Goodwin until Xmas and then one more transfer window, provided we are not fighting relegation. The utter shambles Cormack left before his appointment was never going to be turned around overnight. 

I think he will probably be given another window minimum but we need to see progress. Bottom half is completely unacceptable after spending the money we have. We should be top 4 without a doubt. Can’t afford to ruin another season by holding onto the manager too long if it isn’t working! The next 4 games are massive for Goodwin. 

2 minutes ago, slippers said:

I think he will probably be given another window minimum but we need to see progress. Bottom half is completely unacceptable after spending the money we have. We should be top 4 without a doubt.

The sack culture of the modern game is brutal but a lot of the time it’s fairly understandable. We gave Glass 2 windows and all that meant was we lost a whole season instead of half a season. 

You can usually tell who’s a dud. Who wanted McInnes out after 1 or 2 windows? Who wanted Calderwood out? Or even brown who was average at best? Nobody really. But Goodwin, glass, mcghee, Patterson - clearly shite and out their depth early doors and not going to get any better 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

It may be because I’m sitting enjoying some glenfiddich but I really don’t understand your answer to my question 

Well you said when did we sign 9 for the starting line up, are you sure the 9 we have signed for the starting line up should be in the starting line up. 

Did we not sign 10 players last summer plus ramsay and Mackenzie starting most weeks I’d say we had a lot of new players in the starting line up this time last year. Or at least signed thinking they would be starters 

2 minutes ago, thurso said:

Well you said when did we sign 9 for the starting line up, are you sure the 9 we have signed for the starting line up should be in the starting line up. 

Did we not sign 10 players last summer plus ramsay and Mackenzie starting most weeks I’d say we had a lot of new players in the starting line up this time last year. Or at least signed thinking they would be starters 

How is your second paragraph possibly backing up discrediting byrnseys point? 

We were keech last season too

6 minutes ago, Millertime said:

How is your second paragraph possibly backing up discrediting byrnseys point? 

We were keech last season too

I don’t need to he clearly agrees with me Goodwin is shit 

9 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

But Goodwin, glass, mcghee, Patterson - clearly shite and out their depth early doors and not going to get any better 

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, thurso said:

But you were saying you should be able to sign 9 new players and they should be able to bed in straight away. When has that happened?

if your best suggestion is last season plus youth players then sounds like it’s going to be a shite season 

which it will

10 hours ago, Jocky Balboa said:

As it stands, I'm still willing to give Goodwin until Xmas and then one more transfer window, provided we are not fighting relegation.

Not buying that... with the money we've spent this summer we should be comfortable top 6 / top 4 by Christmas... anything less than that will be an abject failure. He's been given more money to spend in 1 window than any manager in the last 20 years, maybe even in our history. There's no excuses... being safe from relegation shouldn't be any sort of target for this season.

As others have said the next 4 games are crucial, get through them unbeaten and we'll be back on track. Lose 2 or 3 of them and the pressure will really be on.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Millertime said:

Sooooo... you DO think it could happen?

Fair question.  

I think that if we lose on Saturday,  his coat will be on a shoogly peg with the fans,  but maybe not Cormack.  

Sadly for him,  this season is not existing in a bubble.  The disaster of last season is still fresh in the memory as is the fact that his appointment in February arguably made results worse. 

These 3 games (Well,  Fermers and Livi)  were the games that we were probably all looking at to see if this new team actually is an improvement.  

We're one game down,  and the signs aren't great.  

Maybe we'll be outstanding in the next 2 games and we can put all this behind us.  Let's hope so.  

But the Fermers match and especially the Livi game now look harder than they did a week ago,  and it's about fucking time that an Aberdeen team started scrapping and fighting for everything.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Schapenneuker said:

Fair question.  

I think that if we lose on Saturday,  his coat will be on a shoogly peg with the fans,  but maybe not Cormack.  

Sadly for him,  this season is not existing in a bubble.  The disaster of last season is still fresh in the memory as is the fact that his appointment in February arguably made results worse. 

These 3 games (Well,  Fermers and Livi)  were the games that we were probably all looking at to see if this new team actually is an improvement.  

We're one game down,  and the signs aren't great.  

Maybe we'll be outstanding in the next 2 games and we can put all this behind us.  Let's hope so.  

But the Fermers match and especially the Livi game now look harder than they did a week ago,  and it's about fucking time that an Aberdeen team started scrapping and fighting for everything.  

Lovely reply 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

I work less and would have a similar win percentage as Goodwin has with us (although he wouldn't be able to work that percentage out) though.

Thick, uneducated cunt that can't even motivate! 

Get rid!

:)

You’d be scared of getting on the team bus yi big crooked fearty ?

1 hour ago, Sooper-hanz said:

I was of the opinion to pay him off at the end of last season . It was obvious we were getting a load of money coming in with Ramsay and Ferguson leaving.

Goodwin hadn’t shown anything to suggest we should trust him with that money.  The jury is out. 

100% not calling for him out, yet.

But out of interest who was your obvious alternative?

11 minutes ago, Redtillimdead said:

Surely we can't be calling for Goodwin's head already. Give him till at least the end of October to see if he can sort them out. 

I agree

BUT....

If this season pans out in a similar manner to how last season panned out, I'd want Gnasher to act a whole lot quicker than he did with Glass. 

I'd suggest being bottom 4 by the time the World Cup break comes around would be enough to warrant the trigger being pulled. Hopefully we'll be top half of the league and showing signs of genuine sustained improvement though.

• Upvote 1

3 games in to the season and people talking about sacking the manager. 

I was in no way excited about Goodwin coming in as manager when Glass was sacked, but suggesting that he should be able to completely turn around a team in 1 transfer window is fucking hilarious.

Unless things are going catastrophically wrong then December 2023 is the earliest we should be changing things up again. 

Comfortable top 6 this season but with consistent improvements over the course of the season (finish better than we started) is more than enough to justify him having another summer transfer window.

• Haha 2
25 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

I was in no way excited about Goodwin coming in as manager when Glass was sacked, but suggesting that he should be able to completely turn around a team in 1 transfer window is fucking hilarious.

Unless things are going catastrophically wrong then December 2023 is the earliest we should be changing things up again. 

Comfortable top 6 this season but with consistent improvements over the course of the season (finish better than we started) is more than enough to justify him having another summer transfer window.

If we finish any lower than 4th it should be viewed as a poor season. I’d probably only accept 4th if we finish within a few points of 3rd pushing them close, but if we finished 4th miles behind 3rd, like 4th was last season it might be classed as a disappointment. 

2 minutes ago, thurso said:

If we finish any lower than 4th it should be viewed as a poor season. I’d probably only accept 4th if we finish within a few points of 3rd pushing them close, but if we finished 4th miles behind 3rd, like 4th was last season it might be classed as a disappointment. 

"Comfortable top 6" doesn't exclude finishing 3rd. 

It depends entirely on how the season plays out. If it's like last season where everyone was as shit as each other except Hearts then 4th would be needed.

If it's a season where there's a more obvious split in the league (let's say for sake of argument 12 points between 6th and 7th) and we finish 5th? Then we at least we're in the top half of a difficult league rather than the bottom half of a shite league.

13 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

No Idea. Folk at the club are paid good money to decide that.

Hate when people ask that as if we are only aloud to appoint someone the fans know. 

33 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

Don’t think anyone is asking for his head just yet but it couldn’t of went much worse for him thus far is the point people are making. If we fail to win any of our next couple games it’s probably enough for a lot of fans to start asking questions and rightly so. Winning our next 2 games would go a lot to persuading us fans that Motherwell was perhaps a blip. Fans are fickle and things can turn very quickly positively or negatively. Goodwin has nothing in bank from previous jobs or his time at aberdeen is the main problem so the sooner he can get another 2 or 3 victories under his belt the better. 

37 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

For the most part I agree, though my timeline is Summer 2023, but yes, unless we are catastrophic then he should get the January transfer window at least. 

Incidentally, I notice a lot of people making a big deal about the money he's spent... The figure I saw quoted in the media was £1.3m. While substantially more than most SPL rivals, it is a fraction of what we took in from the sale of crucial players. Whether people "trust Goodwin with that money" or not, it is not the huge bucks that would justify an instant turnaround, especially when several of these players are League One / Two standard. 

We need to show a little patience, hard though it is..

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

For the most part I agree, though my timeline is Summer 2023, but yes, unless we are catastrophic then he should get the January transfer window at least. 

Incidentally, I notice a lot of people making a big deal about the money he's spent... The figure I saw quoted in the media was £1.3m. While substantially more than most SPL rivals, it is a fraction of what we took in from the sale of crucial players. Whether people "trust Goodwin with that money" or not, it is not the huge bucks that would justify an instant turnaround, especially when several of these players are League One / Two standard. 

Problem with people saying they don't trust him with the money is....who would you trust with the money? Any manager that has a history of success with budgets similar to that won't be coming near Aberdeen.

Anybody who has done well in teams around us or below us won't have experience dealing with that kind of money.

Whether people like it or not this situation needs more time than would normally be afforded to managers who come in and sign free agents and youth. You can't spunk that dough and then not even give it a full season.

32 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

I don’t see why you are conflating  how much money Goodwin has spent with how much money he has taken on. Need to deal with the 2 situations separately. 

The facts of the matter are, he’s spent a shitload of dough, probably a once in a generation amount,  which in my opinion, he’s spunked on punts and unknowns. He has the final say on transfers so we can’t blame it on Gunn and Mowbray.

Time will tell and I hope I’m wrong, but…..

51 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

We will know long before Summer 2023 whether he is the man for the job.

This is now his team, his signings and he has in Scottish football terms (outwith the Glasgow 2) spent a shitload of money on them. We were already apparently at £1.3 million before we signed Morris from Fleetwood for what they descrived as a significant fee. If we bring in another 1 or 2 before the deadline we won't be far away from £2 million spent. If he can't morivate them and turn them into a cohesive group of players with the capability of beating teams like Motherwell then he wont and shouldn't be here long.

The only reason so many gave him the benefit of the doubt in his 12 games last season was because it wasn't his players and he wasn't able to bring in anyone new. Thats not the case now so there's no excuses.