The Goodwin effect!

20 minutes ago, DelMonte said:

Just let him get his own players in the summer. Not that confident but can’t judge him completely on that shower of cunts he inherited. 

At the press conference, Goodwin said that the club are talking to 6 players and are 'trying to move contract negotiations along with one or two'. That is it. He said the contract negotiations were dragging on .He also said, contrary to his comments a week ago, that it will not now be humanly possible to get the squad intact before pre-season commences.

There is no chance he will have a clean, shiny new squad for next season. Probably a goalie, 2 ex St Mirren players, two or three other uninspiring additions. Goodwin himself seems considerably less confident about the recruitment now and he will possibly have to work with a lot of the same site he has now simply because there are already too many leaving (in number) and there will be no easy task bringing in 6 decent ones.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Feel said:

At the press conference, Goodwin said that the club are talking to 6 players and are 'trying to move contract negotiations along with one or two'. That is it. He said the contract negotiations were dragging on .He also said, contrary to his comments a week ago, that it will not now be humanly possible to get the squad intact before pre-season commences.

There is no chance he will have a clean, shiny new squad for next season. Probably a goalie, 2 ex St Mirren players, two or three other uninspiring additions. Goodwin himself seems considerably less confident about the recruitment now and he will possibly have to work with a lot of the same site he has now simply because there are already too many leaving (in number) and there will be no easy task bringing in 6 decent ones.

We will sign plenty players this summer. You’ve wrote a lot about very little there.

Much reference has been made to comparisons with the big clear out by Eddie Turnbull in the mid 60s and what Goodwin is doing now

However, Goodwin is no Turnbull. He has shown no ability so far other than demotivating already disheartened and demoralised players.

These days the strong man approach doesnt work. That seems to the only style that Goodwin knows.

He needs to lift players, not destroy them.

24 minutes ago, Feel said:

We have blatantly been rejected by a number of our first choice targets. This shitshow is really going to hammer us trying to get the right bodies in and we only have ourselves to blame by appointing someone with very little credentials AGAIN! 

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, Feel said:

Clubs virtually never have their full squad intact for the start of pre season. Contract negotiations with players always rumble on at every club so I wouldn't read too much into it. Like ever other club we will make some permanent signings and some loan signings. Let's just hope we sign better, younger and more committed players than we did last summer. 

1 hour ago, zeroisgod76 said:

He’s a shit manager…. no man management skills… no motivational skills.

A lazy appointment, had done fuck all in his managerial career to indicate he was up for the job.

Scary to say it but Glass was a better manager than him.

Get rid now!

Despite the results in the first half of the season, it still felt at times that, defence aside, there was a semblance of a decent team coming together.

I get that things take time, but it’s still pretty disheartening that 10 games in under Goodwin, and it just looks like an even worse situation than it did in Dec/Jan. 

Still, surely next season can’t be this grim.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

Clubs virtually never have their full squad intact for the start of pre season. Contract negotiations with players always rumble on at every club so I wouldn't read too much into it. Like ever other club we will make some permanent signings and some loan signings. Let's just hope we sign better, younger and more committed players than we did last summer. 

I agree, but he said very recently that he thought it would all be done. The reality has set in that it will simply not be possible. The worry is not that it will not happen, but he thought that it might. Reality is setting in with the task ahead and I wish him all the best.

1 minute ago, Feel said:

I agree, but he said very recently that he thought it would all be done. The reality has set in that it will simply not be possible. The worry is not that it will not happen, but he thought that it might. Reality is setting in with the task ahead and I wish him all the best.

If he didn't know how big the job was when he came in he sure as hell will do now. I think he's probably shocked at just how poor some of the players he was left with are. He knows he needs to hit the ground running next season and the importance of good recruitment. He was left with an absolute shit show by Glass he probably looked at the likes of JET in training and thought "Why the fuck did they sign you? You are at the end of your journeyman career and can't even fucking run".

Not sure why Goodwin thought deals would be done quickly when Gunn is in charge of sorting them out.

Showed that he’s miles out his depth with his part in that abomination of a transfer window we had last summer, got played by McGrath’s agent, failed to get a deal for some German forward (and others) over the line.

I hope Cormack opens the purse strings enough that money will entice better quality players here this summer. Because there’s fuck all other reasons any decent player would want to come just now.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Shinniesta said:

If he didn't know how big the job was when he came in he sure as hell will do now. I think he's probably shocked at just how poor some of the players he was left with are. He knows he needs to hit the ground running next season and the importance of good recruitment. He was left with an absolute shit show by Glass he probably looked at the likes of JET in training and thought "Why the fuck did they sign you? You are at the end of your journeyman career and can't even fucking run".

Obviously he inherited a pathetic excuse of a team, but he has somehow managed to make it worse. That’s got nothing to do with anyone other than him.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, 1903Fitba said:

Usually you see a new manager bounce. 

Doesn’t look like it’s happening here any time soon 

We had a new manager bounce under Aitken. Who, to be fair, won a league cup, but we were still shite and he got binned son we wouldn't get relegated.

And repeat.

(Except without the League Cup bit)

1 hour ago, Dandyesque said:

We had a new manager bounce under Aitken. Who, to be fair, won a league cup, but we were still shite and he got binned son we wouldn't get relegated.

And repeat.

(Except without the League Cup bit)

Didn’t Aitken then have us finish 3rd and the following season had us 2nd at Christmas before the wheels came off spectacularly? 

I thought glass was useless but that we had a decent side who a competent manager would end the season strongly. 

Goodwin has left me feeling like we need 11 new players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I still feel he deserves the chance to bring in some of his own players but I can't deny that my concerns about whether Goodwin will work out for us are mounting.  

He has come in to a difficult situation with a poorly put together, imbalanced squad - particularly a very fragile defence and a shortage of decent attacking options.  But you would still have hoped that he would've made more of a positive impact than he has so far.

Hopefully the summer and some decent signings will lift things, but I'm not feeling confident at all for next season at the moment.

• Upvote 1
Guest milne_afc
7 hours ago, duklaprague said:

Despite the results in the first half of the season, it still felt at times that, defence aside, there was a semblance of a decent team coming together.

That’s nonsense 

3 hours ago, RUL said:

Didn’t Aitken then have us finish 3rd and the following season had us 2nd at Christmas before the wheels came off spectacularly? 

I thought glass was useless but that we had a decent side who a competent manager would end the season strongly. 

Goodwin has left me feeling like we need 11 new players.

Pretty decent side.

PMSL

What is becoming clear now is that this isn’t getting fixed in one transfer window or even two. This might take 2 or more years and will Goodwin will be there to see it through?

If we only take in 6 players this summer but they are a good quality, that might have to do for the time being. Gradual improvement but with a bigger picture in mind.