The Goodwin effect!

I'd keep Campbell, I still think he has potential, on the understanding that he makes this his breakthrough year. He's getting to the age where he needs to be staking a first team place.

Polvara I've liked. Strong lad who can and does win the ball, but also a good passer, holds off challenges, and links up well with the players around him. He's like a blank slate right now, though... doesn't seem to be one thing or the other. He needs to decide if he's going to be a ballwinner or a playmaker. 

Bez showed some great skills on Sunday, hopefully he keeps improving rather than getting dragged down to the standard of his team mates. With us it seems to be the latter scenario more often than not. 

Masson Barron has the potential to be huge for us, if he isn't already. 

McKenzie is nowhere near as bad as some folk like to make out. 

McRorie is solid. 

Lewis probably isn't as bad as we thought, given the pair of tits he has in front of him leaving him out to dry game after game.  

Other than that, the rest are gone, either voluntarily.. like Ferguson and Ramsey, or involuntarily, like (please baby jesus) Ojo and Ruth. 

We more or less need to sign an entire team of players. 

Feels like stating the obvious, like. 

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

I'd keep Campbell, I still think he has potential, on the understanding that he makes this his breakthrough year. He's getting to the age where he needs to be staking a first team place.

Polvara I've liked. Strong lad who can and does win the ball, but also a good passer, holds off challenges, and links up well with the players around him. He's like a blank slate right now, though... doesn't seem to be one thing or the other. He needs to decide if he's going to be a ballwinner or a playmaker. 

Bez showed some great skills on Sunday, hopefully he keeps improving rather than getting dragged down to the standard of his team mates. With us it seems to be the latter scenario more often than not. 

Masson has the potential to be huge for us, if he isn't already. 

McRorie is solid. 

Lewis probably isn't as bad as we thought, given the pair of tits he has in front of him leaving him out to dry game after game.  

Campbell needs to go - doesn't offer anything we don't already have.

Polvara looks neat and tidy etc but yet to do anything of real note in a game - hopefully he'll make a lot of progress next season.

Bez will do better in a team with other decent attacking players around him.

Masson? You're about 10-15 years too late... 

McKenzie is not as bad as some folk make out, but I don't think he's going to be good enough to help us achieve our targets.

McRorie is a solid, athletic player, but pretty limited on the ball - I'd play him at RB or RCB if we're going to a 3 at the back.

Lewis needs replaced, both as keeper and captain. We need a keeper in his prime who commands his defence, and a captain who inspires the team - Lewis does neither.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Ke1t said:

Masson Barron has the potential to be huge for us, if he isn't already. 

McRorie is solid. 

Other than that, the rest are gone, either voluntarily.. like Ferguson and Ramsey, or involuntarily, like (please baby jesus) Ojo and Ruth. 

We more or less need to sign an entire team of players. 

Feels like stating the obvious, like. 

spacer.png

Like what?

21 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Campbell needs to go - doesn't offer anything we don't already have.

Polvara looks neat and tidy etc but yet to do anything of real note in a game - hopefully he'll make a lot of progress next season.

Bez will do better in a team with other decent attacking players around him.

Masson? You're about 10-15 years too late... 

McKenzie is not as bad as some folk make out, but I don't think he's going to be good enough to help us achieve our targets.

McRorie is a solid, athletic player, but pretty limited on the ball - I'd play him at RB or RCB if we're going to a 3 at the back.

Lewis needs replaced, both as keeper and captain. We need a keeper in his prime who commands his defence, and a captain who inspires the team - Lewis does neither.

Do we?

Campbell struggled to play in the championship under McInnes at Kilmarnock, that’s with a coach that knew him, playing at a weaker level than the SPL, he couldn’t get a position before Calum waters in the left back position for fucks sake, kept out of midfield by the mercurial talents of mcginn,Alston or polworth. It’s a no from me.

18 hours ago, Don_Corleone said:

Do we what? Sorry, don't understand your comment...

You said he didn't offer anything we didn't already have.  Im not convinced (Im assuming Ferguson will go which basically leaves Barron and possibly McRorie on whom the jury's still out on as a midfielder).

In fairness I also agree with Dons79 comment above about whether we could do better based on what we saw at kilmarnock.  But at the moment we have him.  No point replacing him with, at best, like for like talents.  

26 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

You said he didn't offer anything we didn't already have.  Im not convinced (Im assuming Ferguson will go which basically leaves Barron and possibly McRorie on whom the jury's still out on as a midfielder).

In fairness I also agree with Dons79 comment above about whether we could do better based on what we saw at kilmarnock.  But at the moment we have him.  No point replacing him with, at best, like for like talents.  

Ahh okay, i get you now. Fair enough - I suppose I was saying he didn't offer anything we didn't have last season, but given that as things stand we only have the 3 you mention (plus Polvara who is still relatively untested), one of whom will most certainly leave, one of whom isn't really a midfielder, and one of whom is still very young and inexperienced - you possibly have a point. Maybe worth hanging on to him until we see who else we can bring in, and maybe offload him nearer the end of the window if we can bring in better.

From what we've seen of Campbell as a midfielder he's the kind of player who will keep the ball fairly well and pass it around, but doesn't do much to affect a game. To be fair that is similar to what I would say about Polvara on the little we've seen of him so far.

I also thought that McGeouch would have been a Goodwin type of player. However I suspect that as has been said above his fitness issues plus his high wage may have had Goodwin thinking he can get better value out of another player he has his eye on.

Also perhaps he just hasn't done enough in training to warrant a new deal. 

1 hour ago, Reed or deed said:

McGeouch would have been one of the few players i would have kept.

Not sure what the club doesn’t see in him or have against him tbh, considering some of the other charlatans that have been in the side regular.

30 on his next birthday, a high earner and fitness issues that have plagued him ever since his Hibs days.

When fit he was decent but for what we've spunked on wages on him in the past 30 or so months we just weren't getting a decent return on our outlay. Someone else can take a chance on him (love Abba) going forward. Probably on a lot less money than we paid him.

6 hours ago, Reed or deed said:

McGeouch would have been one of the few players i would have kept.

Not sure what the club doesn’t see in him or have against him tbh, considering some of the other charlatans that have been in the side regular.

Mediocre, highish (?) wage, ageing, no resale value, fringe player with no prospect of development.  

We have Polvara who can probably do the same job as it is, for presumably much cheaper, with a chance of development, and possibly becoming a sellable asset.  Same might be said for Campbell (I still have hope), and then of course there's Barron who's already a far better player. 

I'd rather we tried to develop a youngster or bring someone in than hold onto McGeough. 

• Haha 1