The Goodwin effect!

5 minutes ago, slippers said:

Cormack said that we have 2-3m extra budget this season. If that is true I’d suggest we have probably spent 3-4m this season more than hibs and hearts? Guessing but I don’t think they would have our budget from last season never mind this season! 

We've squandered it though on big wages for players that aren't a good fit with each other. 

Just because we've spent the third most money doesn't mean we've got the third best squad.  Far from it. 

55 minutes ago, donswin1983 said:

He deserves time and at probably several transfer windows, which I hope he gets, although i suspect he won’t. The vultures are already circling. He’s inherited a bag of squirrels and we’re a rank rotten team. 
We have a short and medium term of mediocrity ahead of us and I think we need to accept that. He needs a win against Dundee and then we can at least put this season to bed. Not sure he will get it though.

that said, he’s made some strange decisions and he appears to have alienated more than those that he’s told, arguably prematurely, that they’re off. Not starting Calvin R today was mind boggling and as someone said on another thread, trying to play Ross M as the furthest forward of the 3 today, just didn’t work and we can all recognise why.

Swiss Tony made his appointment so quickly and in hindsight taking  time to reflect and better consider other options would have been wise, but we are where we are.

Big summer ahead and I hope he sets his sights higher than trying to sign current and former St Mirren players, which frankly doesn’t inspire. 

how do it come to this ?

Dropping your top scorer and your most highly rated youngster is bizarre management.

Was fully supportive of him getting the job but he's done nothing so far to suggest we won't be anything other than bottom 6 crap again next season

What has Goodwin done previously to suggest he will get Aberdeen where we all want to be? Did he do a good job at Alloa? I know he failed to get St Mirren to a cup final, failed to get them into the top 6 and this season won 3 out of their first 20 matches before a purple patch in January where they picked up slightly before regressing after he left.

14 minutes ago, torry_battery_ram said:

Dropping your top scorer and your most highly rated youngster is bizarre management.

Was fully supportive of him getting the job but he's done nothing so far to suggest we won't be anything other than bottom 6 crap again next season

Our out of form and hasn’t scored for how long top scorer? Maybe trying to give Ramirez a kick up the arse? 
Ramsay perhaps just trying to ease a young player back in after injury? 

• Upvote 1

The fine margin of identical failure the team seem to sustain, and to not recognise is concerning. Motherwell (x 2) and Hearts are the only clubs to beat us in the league by more than one goal this season. In pretty much every game we have lost we have had way more possession, part of a clear pattern. The rest of the shite in our league play us like a fiddle, let us have the ball knowing we will do fuck all with it, then hit us on the break when the inevitable fuck up happens and we lose the ball in a bad area.

Our goal difference effectively puts us 6 points ahead of St Johnstone, but between the lack of fight in our team and the odd crafty fuck like Charlie Adam in the other teams, I can't see us taking any points at all. Mutual throat cutting by the other teams might save us, be we won't save ourselves IMO.

Chucking Considine in for Bates and trying to grind out a 0-0 is our last option with this mob I would say.

Edit to ad - and telling the shite they're shite and getting dunted before we are safe was pretty fucking stupid of Goodwin.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Woolenrouge said:

The fine margin of identical failure the team seem to sustain, and to not recognise is concerning. Motherwell (x 2) and Hearts are the only clubs to beat us in the league by more than one goal this season. In pretty much every game we have lost we have had way more possession, part of a clear pattern. The rest of the shite in our league play us like a fiddle, let us have the ball knowing we will do fuck all with it, then hit us on the break when the inevitable fuck up happens and we lose the ball in a bad area.

Our goal difference effectively puts us 7 points ahead of St Johnstone, but between the lack of fight in our team and the odd crafty fuck like Charlie Adam in the other teams, I can't see us taking any points at all. Mutual throat cutting by the other teams might save us, be we won't save ourselves IMO.

Chucking Considine in for Bates and trying to grind out a 0-0 is our last option with this mob I would say.

Edit to ad - and telling the shite they're shite and getting dunted before we are safe was pretty fucking stupid of Goodwin.

Gap is down to 5 points now. Was hoping Dundee would beat St Johnstone as the 6 point gap plus goal difference was feeling like a half decent buffer. 5 points feels perilously close in comparison as they can catch us in 2 games now rather than 3.

Ironically St Mirren might be our saviours as they seem in even more disarray than us. 

3 hours ago, slippers said:

You do realise that this is way worse than anything under glass with the same players and hes meant to be a “better” manager? I don’t expect miracles but a good manager would of had us in the top 6 with the games he had at his disposal. Their is absolute no chance we would of been in a worse position had glass remained that is my point! It looks as if he’s already managed to lose the dressing room! 

It's actually not but you're entitled to your opinion.

You do seem an excitable young chap right enough. Perhaps chill the fuck out, have a few beers, pull the heid off it - anything to calm you down.

38 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Gap is down to 5 points now. Was hoping Dundee would beat St Johnstone as the 6 point gap plus goal difference was feeling like a half decent buffer. 5 points feels perilously close in comparison as they can catch us in 2 games now rather than 3.

Ironically St Mirren might be our saviours as they seem in even more disarray than us. 

I did think that till I realised they still have to play us! 

So much wrong

no striker as a focal point our false 9 was playing too much as a midfielder

ramsey on the bench?

then the subs? Take off a central defender go three at the back then go down to 10 and loose a new central defender and bring on a midfielder leaving a midfielder in defence

the real worry is it been a good time to take over and has had three free weekends so effectively 3 free weeks- a preseason if you like. The warm up has changed but I don’t get it yet. 

we need goals take of our top scorer and one of our better crossers

hays always under hits bej always over hits arghhhhhh

3 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Goodwin has tried to stiffen the team up; it is a very rigid and formulaic 4-3-3.

The level of performance is unquestionably poorer than with the previous manager.

The central defenders aren’t up to it.

The full-backs rarely overload the wide areas in forward positions and by sitting back they invite opposing teams to play with 3 up. For spells today Livi even left 4 up.

The midfield 3 is generally flat and strictly positioned and nobody really taking responsibility, whether by instruction or otherwise, to make forward runs or support the striker.

The wingers stay very wide, so reliant on good deliveries and/or well-timed or late runs (see midfielders).

We’re slow to second balls.

The players seem to be accepting of adversity.

The team is generally playing with the handbrake on.

Goodwin hasn’t yet shown he’s capable of affecting this situation. Suffering for Glass’ poor recruitment maybe but no new manager bounce of any kind.

I’ve said in other threads he needs a good start to new season. None of this two or three windows crap.  If he’s a good coach, he’ll fix it. Time will tell and we’ll just need to be patient.. 

100% on Glass. No it's no buts. 

You complain about the centre halfs - not Goodwin's signings Not poor recruitment - absolutely horrendous recruitment by Glass has got us in this position.

Do.I think Goodwin should have won more games - absolutely. However the bigger picture is he's inherited the proverbial heap of dung!!

Next week terrifies me in all honesty as we have fuck all fight.

1 hour ago, slippers said:

Almost as if he’s already lost the dressing room which is a massive worry if more than half of them will be here next season! 

He has to earn a second transfer window surely? If he are 8thth in December absolute no chance we should be giving him January after already signing 5-10 of his own players! It’s European challenge at bare minimum with his resources. No excuses! 

As I say I’m not here to piss people off I’m just giving my opinion and maybe I have expected to much but I don’t think any of us expected us to be in a relegation fight with 4 games remaining when we changed manager! 

Lost the dressing room.

Man alive. ????????

• Haha 1

Cormack said that we have 2-3m extra budget this season. If that is true I’d suggest we have probably spent 3-4m this season more than hibs and hearts? Guessing but I don’t think they would have our budget from last season never mind this season! 

Hearts are in the Scottish Cup final and will pocket a packet from playing in Europe next season so I think they might have just as good a budget as ourselves, if not more.

8 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

It's actually not but you're entitled to your opinion.

You do seem an excitable young chap right enough. Perhaps chill the fuck out, have a few beers, pull the heid off it - anything to calm you down.

I am calm! I just can’t believe people think Goodwin isn’t to blame for our performances thus far. He’s done very little in his managerial career to give me optimism either, seems to be getting a free pass from a lot of our support because we have a poor squad that consists of players that would find themselves into squads of most other spl sides and even a lot of starting lineups! You would think our squad was full of championship and league 1 players. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, slippers said:

I am calm! I just can’t believe people think Goodwin isn’t to blame for our performances thus far. He’s done very little in his managerial career to give me optimism either, seems to be getting a free pass from a lot of our support because we have a poor squad that consists of players that would find themselves into squads of most other spl sides and even a lot of starting lineups! You would think our squad was full of championship and league 1 players. 

Has looked like championship and league one form all season. Quite clear that they're underperforming and were embarrassingly unfit when Goodwin took over.

Tells me everything about how the club was run under Glass.

Hopefully scrape enough points to get us safe and then start again. 

5 minutes ago, slippers said:

Of course Goodwin has to accept some responsibilty, he took the job on knowing full well he wouldn't be able to make any additions to the squad till the summer. And it has to be said, some of his selections and tactics to date have been puzzling to say the least. But in mitigation... it has to follow that it just isn't his squad, And he's finding out that although many of them individually would easily get themselves a place in every other SPL teams' squad, as a whole they are pretty much a rag-tag bunch, massively unbalanced and who in certain cases may not be giving much of a toss as they know they are on the way out. 

Right now I'm finding it difficult to believe we won't find ourselves in even deeper trouble this time next week. And that's after facing Dundee. I'll probably be more optimistic come kick-off but if we don't win that it's squeaky bum time

33 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Has looked like championship and league one form all season. Quite clear that they're underperforming and were embarrassingly unfit when Goodwin took over.

Tells me everything about how the club was run under Glass.

Hopefully scrape enough points to get us safe and then start again. 

Yeah! Looks as if the players had it easy under glass and Goodwin has came in and rocked the boat! Sooner the players that don’t like it fuck off the better! 

Yeah! Looks as if the players had it easy under glass and Goodwin has came in and rocked the boat! Sooner the players that don’t like it fuck off the better! 

Players liked Glass because they were on easy street.  Livington spent considerable effort getting JET fit, and just look at the state Glass allowed him to get into! 

So you players like Glass eh? Then why did you get him sacked you bunch of useless cunts? 

3 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Players liked Glass because they were on easy street.  Livington spent considerable effort getting JET fit, and just look at the state Glass allowed him to get into! 

So you players like Glass eh? Then why did you get him sacked you bunch of useless cunts? 

It's a complete mess eh? 

Unbelievable how the club have allowed things to deteriorate so much in the last 3 years which is a relatively short time.  The whole first team bit feels completely toxic now. 

Comments about McInnes leaving the squad unfit when Glass came in and then the same 12 months later. 

And we've got a c£9m wage bill ffs. 

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

100% on Glass. No it's no buts. 

Hyperbole.

Glass didn’t pick the team or tactics today and neither in the preceding 8 matches.

League form under Glass 25 games 29 points.

League form under Goodwin 8 games 6 points.

Goodwin, using the same tools, is not getting even the same level of performance/results as his predecessor.

These are cold hard facts.

What is opinion is what we see on any given Saturday. In my opinion it is one-dimensional simplistic shite, per the points in my post. They’re set up like a boys club team. People are free to argue with the opinion, but the facts bear it out.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

Hyperbole.

Glass didn’t pick the team or tactics today and neither in the preceding 8 matches.

League form under Glass 25 games 29 points.

League form under Goodwin 8 games 6 points.

Goodwin, using the same tools, is not getting even the same level of performance/results as his predecessor.

These are cold hard facts.

Not exactly... the team were getting gradually worse the longer things went on with Glass. A fairer comparison would be Glass final 8 games compared with Goodwin's first 8 games. The team were more shot of confidence towards the end of Glass' tenure and that is what Goodwin has inherited. Not just poor players, but poor players with no confidence, most of whom know that they aren't going to be here next year. 

Having said that, Goodwin has made some baffling decisions in terms of selections, subs and systems - but he is pretty limited in what he has to work with.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

Not exactly... the team were getting gradually worse the longer things went on with Glass. A fairer comparison would be Glass final 8 games compared with Goodwin's first 8 games.

Fair comment and RE the confidence too. Flip side of the confidence argument is it’s the manager’s job to get them confident. So has he shot the morale/written off anything they do this season & thereby gambling with our safety?

8 games 8 points. (9 games 11 points, 10 games 14 points).