The Goodwin effect!

7 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We've got a dreadful squad. 

Part of the problem is that some folk still think we have a good squad. 

It's like having a box of jigsaw pieces but all the pieces are from different jigsaws. 

Rubbish. The squad isn’t that bad but the current manager is a joke who can’t gat a win like he proved at st mirren 

5 hours ago, Broken_Glass said:

100% on Glass. No it's no buts. 

You complain about the centre halfs - not Goodwin's signings Not poor recruitment - absolutely horrendous recruitment by Glass has got us in this position.

Do.I think Goodwin should have won more games - absolutely. However the bigger picture is he's inherited the proverbial heap of dung!!

Next week terrifies me in all honesty as we have fuck all fight.

Glass got the sack in March how the fuck is loosing today his fault. It’s all on Goodwin he’s won one game in 10 and the team he picked today was a fucking joke 

A lot of interesting points and observations in here…

IMO Goodwin gets a bit of a free hit until next season. If you look at our squad, there are heaps of players who know they are on their way, or don’t want to be here! McInnes left the squad in a terrible mess and Glass has somehow managed to accelerate the spiral and make things ten times worse!

Its going to take a huge effort to turn things around this summer. Agree with some others, who mentioned that Goodwin needs 2 or 3 windows… however he won’t get that. Hibs and other clubs are setting a precedent now. Goodwin will be shown the door if we are still shite by Xmas. He needs to start improving from the start of next season.

It’s been pretty grim since he’s come in and there obviously hasn’t been a ‘new manager bounce’/honeymoon period, or whatever you want to call it… but as others have mentioned, in our current situation I don’t think a ‘bounce’ was there…

Having said all that, agree that some of the stuff we’re seeing right now is alarming. Ojo back in the mix, Ramsay being left out and McCrorie pushing forward. I’m not convinced McCrorie is good enough technically to play in the midfield at all, never mind as an attacker!  He runs around a lot, has a terrific engine, application and attitude - which fans love!  However, he’s pretty poor with the ball at his feet (understatement!).

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Hyperbole.

Glass didn’t pick the team or tactics today and neither in the preceding 8 matches.

League form under Glass 25 games 29 points.

League form under Goodwin 8 games 6 points.

Goodwin, using the same tools, is not getting even the same level of performance/results as his predecessor.

These are cold hard facts.

What is opinion is what we see on any given Saturday. In my opinion it is one-dimensional simplistic shite, per the points in my post. They’re set up like a boys club team. People are free to argue with the opinion, but the facts bear it out.

Only cold hard facts are this is Glass's squad. A squad he overspent on and left completely unbalanced.

No matter who came in after him has been dealt a cruel hand and will need serious time and money to turnaround this crap. 

I do still think we should have picked up a few more points along the way if we had a bit of luck or competent referees. From Charlie Adam's forearm smash into Ferguson's face which Beaton clearly saw to yesterday's shambles where Vincente was punched which should have lead to a red card and a penalty. 

For me the problem is we’ve appointed a succession of managers who have different philosophies one after another. Glass inherited a squad which didn’t suit him, was unable to move players on and made an already unbalanced squad more unbalanced. Equally, Goodwin doesn’t suit Glass’s squad and for me in not trying to adapt has made things worse and has to take accountability for that.

The counter argument given in this thread seems to be that there’s nothing that Goodwin could do as it’s not his players and it’s all Glass’s fault. Presumably we also feel there’s nothing Steven Robinson could do at St Mirren given the mess Goodwin left; either way Godwin’s not impressing at the moment.

Bottom line for me is if we go down, which worryingly I think is a real possibility, he’ll be sacked otherwise he’ll be here at the start of next season so in the meantime we should all get behind him and hope he can turn it around.

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

Only cold hard facts are this is Glass's squad. A squad he overspent on and left completely unbalanced.

No matter who came in after him has been dealt a cruel hand and will need serious time and money to turnaround this crap. 

I do still think we should have picked up a few more points along the way if we had a bit of luck or competent referees. From Charlie Adam's forearm smash into Ferguson's face which Beaton clearly saw to yesterday's shambles where Vincente was punched which should have lead to a red card and a penalty. 

Best one was ojo getting attacked by a fan and getting sent off for it, special refereeing especially compared to the tavernier incident when he physically pushed a fan, result, he got a throw in.games up in Scotland, last win outside old firm(was back then) was 30 years ago and won’t be till another 30 years till the next league win out with the Glasgow 2. That’s years of fans shelling out for nothing.if say an average fan pays 800 a year on his club.season ticket 450, DNA 250, 100 quid on shop then over 30 years that’s 24,000. Not exactly value for money, a would be double that seeing it’s 100quid each time for me to travel up, what’s the point?,for any fan?, whole point of competition is the fact that you can win, we cannot in Scotland even if we wanted to given the refs position, society, powers that be, on all things Timmy and hunnery, point was proved by the Huns not even in the league and Celtic hiring the worst manager in their history, we still couldn’t win the league at the end, not even close.even then it took the best manager to have ever lived to do it and as soon as he left, back to obscurity, chances of getting another manager of his ilk is 0%. Pointless

1 hour ago, Broken_Glass said:

That’s 1 think I will lean on Glass and Goodwin on. I can’t remember a season when so many obvious decisions have went against us! We could easily have another 10 points on board! Maybe all teams have had it like this but it isn’t good enough! 

Refereeing is definitely going against us this season for sure adding to the demise but yesterday we never had a shot on goal from open play and the defence looks likely to concede on the opposing teams every attack. Our confidence is at an all time low which shows Goodwin has not had the immediate effect we looked for , players are not playing for him. Dundee game is massive , if we lose I can see us in the play offs or even down.

16 minutes ago, BitWait said:

Refereeing is definitely going against us this season for sure adding to the demise but yesterday we never had a shot on goal from open play and the defence looks likely to concede on the opposing teams every attack. Our confidence is at an all time low which shows Goodwin has not had the immediate effect we looked for , players are not playing for him. Dundee game is massive , if we lose I can see us in the play offs or even down.

What? We had quite a few

13 hours ago, torry_battery_ram said:

Dropping your top scorer and your most highly rated youngster is bizarre management.

Was fully supportive of him getting the job but he's done nothing so far to suggest we won't be anything other than bottom 6 crap again next season

The top scorer and most highly rated youngster that have been getting absolutely slated on here for months? 

The players have chucked it this season, Goodwin is on a hiding to nothing until he can get shot of the deadwood and the ones that can’t be arsed. Or shall we just sack him now and continue being a basket case?

1 hour ago, Dons79 said:

Best one was ojo getting attacked by a fan and getting sent off for it, special refereeing especially compared to the tavernier incident when he physically pushed a fan, result, he got a throw in.games up in Scotland, last win outside old firm(was back then) was 30 years ago and won’t be till another 30 years till the next league win out with the Glasgow 2. That’s years of fans shelling out for nothing.if say an average fan pays 800 a year on his club.season ticket 450, DNA 250, 100 quid on shop then over 30 years that’s 24,000. Not exactly value for money, a would be double that seeing it’s 100quid each time for me to travel up, what’s the point?,for any fan?, whole point of competition is the fact that you can win, we cannot in Scotland even if we wanted to given the refs position, society, powers that be, on all things Timmy and hunnery, point was proved by the Huns not even in the league and Celtic hiring the worst manager in their history, we still couldn’t win the league at the end, not even close.even then it took the best manager to have ever lived to do it and as soon as he left, back to obscurity, chances of getting another manager of his ilk is 0%. Pointless

The diela season of hun DMC had shown balls out , shirts off, toe to toe in the carpark , attitude in the run in we might have done it

2 hours ago, Rubinho Escocia said:

For me the problem is we’ve appointed a succession of managers who have different philosophies one after another.

Which shouldn't happen if you have a Director of Football. The philosophy/style should be stable.

We rushed into the appointment of Goodwin IMO. Mid-season and paying a release clause. Would have been better using temporary management team already at the club and then assessing things until end of season.

That said, we've got Goodwin and he needs to get rid of the players who have downed tools.

• Upvote 2

@ericblack4boss
But that’s my point, he was a disastrous appointment while the Glasgow clubs were in a bit of turmoil( one not even in the league), a think Celtic got fucked out of Europe twice after getting a fortunate bye due to the polish being thick,even though they horsed Celtic, we had the best squad assembled in many a year, shinnie, Hayes, mcginn, McLean, Christie(a think), ward, etc, we were still 9 points aff it. That’s the closest we have been since. Only time excitement was starting to build at Christmas, fucked it quick after that.very unlikely that situation happening again were both  are shite at the same time.(unless of coarse Celtic paedo ring costs them big while the hun fucks go under again due to IOU,s not affordable and cunts come calling), but this is scotland and they would be bailed out in some way in any case.comparison the Serbian league, it’s either Belgrade or Belgrade (red star, Partizan)

78-A5-F5-D4-6-AFE-4322-88-C1-43-A8-D37-B

29 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

The diela season of hun DMC had shown balls out , shirts off, toe to toe in the carpark , attitude in the run in we might have done it

Aye we were keeping Ward and maybe stretching out for one more quality addition away from really challenging for the league that year.

16 hours ago, slippers said:

Don’t know where the Goodwin topic has gone? What’s everyone’s thoughts? I’m not having this shite about it not being his squad from anyone now! He’s almost had 10 games in charge now and a couple of international breaks to work with squad! Its been an absolute car crash so far! You expect a new manager to improve or at very least match the previous regime until they get their own boys in. Not only was it hard to see how he was an outstanding candidate at the time of appointment but we also paid 200k to release him from his contract! Seen absolutely nothing that has changed my mind! I hope I’m wrong but I’m seriously worried now that we are going to waste yet another season with a dud in charge! 

I said the same thing on another thread a month ago......

It's all very good fans always saying you need to give a manager 1-2 transfer windows but they reality is managers getting infinitely better 6-12 months down the line is the absolute 1/50 exception. Normally a manager is the same all the time.

4 league cup group games and 2-3 league games and we'll have a fair idea how this is all going to play out.

Jim Good Win against Hibs.

It's a bit worrying

Goodwin taking a lot of flak on here, but he has inherited poor players who are not fit enough to play the way he wants. Ramsay, for all his ability, has struggled to play 90 minutes all season. Goodwin also mentioned McKenzie’s lack of fitness before kick off. Jet was the most glaring example of the obvious lack of attention to fitness training under Glass. The players have obviously not taken to Goodwin’s attempts to make them fitter which says everything about their attitude. Add in 2 centre backs who don’t know what a clean sheet is and it’s not difficult to see why we are struggling. 

32 minutes ago, brownie said:

Which shouldn't happen if you have a Director of Football. The philosophy/style should be stable.

We rushed into the appointment of Goodwin IMO. Mid-season and paying a release clause. Would have been better using temporary management team already at the club and then assessing things until end of season.

That said, we've got Goodwin and he needs to get rid of the players who have downed tools.

We've got a Director of Football.  Doing a brilliant job visiting other clubs apparently according to his boss. 

What could possibly go wrong? 

10 hours ago, torry_battery_ram said:

Think we may scramble to safety by the other teams taking points off each other. 

The st johnstone - st mirren game is massive. If we win (I'm not sure we will), and either they draw, or st mirren win, then we're pretty much safe.

My only issue with this is that I don't see us winning and think st johnstone will win. 

9 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Was there actually anyone that thought Goodwin could turn this around? He’s never shown anything in his career that would indicate he ever would. We’re in exactly the position I expected us to be after such a shit appointment.

We've all got opinions and entitled to them I guess.

Time will tell - however to answer your question yes I do believe Goodwin will turn it around but first of all he needs players he can rely on. Players that can work hard and fight. 

Right now though we're in a rut caused by mismanagement and poor leadership. Plus horrendous recruitment by Glass.

How long will Goodwin get the benefit of the doubt. To be fair it is not his squad and it does need major surgery, but why tell players you are clearly going to need they are getting moved on surely this could have been left until the end of the season or when we were safe. Some of his selections have been poor and his substitutions are bizarre but most worrying aspect for me is his lack of ability to get any kind of reaction from any of these players arguably the biggest games of the season against Dundee, County and Livi and you would have thought these players were strolling out for pre-season games. Also the fact we continue to make exactly the same errors we have been for 3 years is also worrying especially as Goodwin told us tightening the defence would be an easy job !!

1 minute ago, Sheepo said:

Also the fact we continue to make exactly the same errors we have been for 3 years is also worrying especially as Goodwin told us tightening the defence would be an easy job !!

You didn’t read the small print…

* after we’ve got rid of Lewis, Bates, Gallagher, and Considine and recruited 2 new centre halves and a decent keeper.