The Goodwin effect!

11 hours ago, Jigsaw666 said:

So what? That wasn't the aim or ambition of the club. The expectation would have been European football. When it was clear we were falling way short of that a change had to be made. It was reasonable to believe that maybe a new guy could make a go at it. So it failed but change HAD to be made.

I think it was a real challenge indeed to qualify for a group stage in the modern era with a typical modern era SPFL budget. All teams aside from the only two with something of a budget have failed to make a group in sometime. Hearts will be the first to benefit from the new situation where an automatic group spot is available.

Europe is currently the only good avenue for some major income, or at least major in SPFL terms. And that's going to make Hearts who are already a good side even harder to catch up with.

1 minute ago, Lan_Lad said:

I think it was a real challenge indeed to qualify for a group stage in the modern era with a typical modern era SPFL budget. All teams aside from the only two with something of a budget have failed to make a group in sometime. Hearts will be the first to benefit from the new situation where an automatic group spot is available.

Europe is currently the only good avenue for some major income, or at least major in SPFL terms. And that's going to make Hearts who are already a good side even harder to catch up with.

Hearts have never really been a side who will finish top 3 in consecutive seasons. Think Levin did it early 00s and thats about it for the last god knows how many decades. Knowing Hearts, there is every chance they will somehow up their budget but get relegated next season

14 hours ago, CCB III said:

Too early to be calling for the sack, but it's been just as bad as before. 

Even if these aren't your players you should be able to motivate them to win games against Livingston, County, Dundee.

His post match interviews are starting to irritate me now as well, in the same way McInnes' did. A lot of talk but very little actually said. 

Ive not seen a real shift in identity in terms of play, we maybe try get the ball in the box a bit quicker but rarely with any quality. 

All in all though, not even a likeable group of lads. Good guys like Lewis, Hayes in there and McCrorie is a trier, but overall I truly don't like most of them. Not just cause we're getting beat, I just don't like their attitudes. They aren't angry enough. 

Even Lewis annoys me these days, infact so does McCrorie. So really, I like Hayes, but mainly for what he produced about 8 years ago. 

We're basically in mark mcghee territory, shite football, shite results and a total bunch of cunts playing for us.

49 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

Just watched the highlights of us vs hearts at pittodrie earlier in the season . Totally dominated them, could’ve been so comfortable that day, we weren’t good back in then by any stretch but we’re miles worse now.

We are shite but thats a fairly strange argument. The Hearts home, Rangers away and Hibs home games were basically an anomaly in the season. It was about 7 days in the entire season that we played well. We were shite before it and shite after it. 

1 hour ago, Dave Bus said:

Just watched the highlights of us vs hearts at pittodrie earlier in the season . Totally dominated them, could’ve been so comfortable that day, we weren’t good back in then by any stretch but we’re miles worse now.

Wasn't that specifically one of the best performances of the season?

Glass's last 5 games were

L - St Mirren
D - Ross County
L - Livingston
L - Celtic
L - Motherwell

We aren't any worse than that now. Glass is getting better in people's minds the longer he's been gone. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

100%

Really dislikeable Dons team.

Likes of Taylor & Logan werent world beaters, but they knew what it meant to pull on the shirt

I was thinking this while watching Taylor's celebrations for Kilmarnock. 

Do these guys have any passion at all? 

1 minute ago, huncunts said:

Wasn't that specifically one of the best performances of the season?

Glass's last 5 games were

L - St Mirren
D - Ross County
L - Livingston
L - Celtic
L - Motherwell

We aren't any worse than that now. Glass is getting better in people's minds the longer he's been gone. 

Correct 

Glass had a brief resurgence in December for a few games. 

But since new year we've been just as shit under both managers. 

We have a bunch of players playing for us who know they won't be here next season. Instead of rolling up their sleeves, and wanting to leave on a high, or put themselves on the market for a decent contract elsewhere they've chucked it. It shows you want sort of character is currently stinking out the dressing room. 

Of course, Goodwin should have waited until we were safe before slaughtering them.

• Upvote 3

The signs aren’t great at the moment but I think most rational Dons fans will give Jim the benefit of a transfer window before seriously questioning the manager.

I did expect us to pick up the points in these first couple of games to get us over the line but as per the story of the season, we’ve yet again failed to turn our superior possession into goals and been let down by a disjointed defence.

We may rectify that against Dundee but its alarming how low our expectations are at present.

I can’t be the only one to have an eyebrow raised though. The decision to start housekeeping with several games to go seems to have backfired. This doesn’t excuse the majority who are staying and playing with the shackles on. Are they just struggling to adapt to the managers instructions?

Some questionable team selections and changes, as well as our apparent pursuit of a handful of current and former Saints players doesn’t exactly instill much confidence for the future.

One things for sure though, we are in the quicksand and sinking fast. Jim just needs to pull us free and focus on winning over the fans next season.

6 points from 8 games since Goodwin came in. Worse than what Glass delivered in his last 8 league games (8 points (& 11 in his last 9 games)) and worse than what bottom club Dundee have averaged over the course of the season (6.5 points per 8 games). 

Bizarre decisions like telling players they'd no future at the club, playing Funso Ojo over Ramsay and doing nothing to fix the issue with a totally isolated central striker, are all pretty concerning.

Goodwin of course gets the benefit of the doubt but it's been a truly abysmal start. Beat Dundee at the weekend and remove all doubt about us getting dragged in to a relegation play off, then he gets a bit breathing space to plan and build for next season.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Parklife said:

6 points from 8 games since Goodwin came in. Worse than what Glass delivered in his last 8 league games (8 points (& 11 in his last 9 games)) and worse than what bottom club Dundee have averaged over the course of the season (6.5 points per 8 games). 

Bizarre decisions like telling players they'd no future at the club, playing Funso Ojo over Ramsay and doing nothing to fix the issue with a totally isolated central striker, are all pretty concerning.

Goodwin of course gets the benefit of the doubt but it's been a truly abysmal start. Beat Dundee at the weekend and remove all doubt about us getting dragged in to a relegation play off, then he gets a bit breathing space to plan and build for next season.

Can't argue with any of that.?

11 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

I think Goodwin was a shocker of an appointment, however as others have said he'll get the beneift of the doubt (as long as we stay up, which i think we will). That goodwill won't last long though if we don't get some good players in over the summer and start next season strongly.

When you are 90% sure he will be shit but it’s too early in his reign to rule out the 10% it’s so uninspiring. I feel like we just need to sit and watch him be shite for the next few months then we’ll start all over again. Ace. 

12 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

When you are 90% sure he will be shit but it’s too early in his reign to rule out the 10% it’s so uninspiring. I feel like we just need to sit and watch him be shite for the next few months then we’ll start all over again. Ace. 

I think we all know that the reality is that he'll be sacked within the next 6 months and we'll be back to square one again before Cormack appoints the next manager that is suddenly the flavour of the month after winning 3 game back to back with Motherwell / St Mirren / Livingston / St Johnstone etc. despite doing nothing else of note in their managerial career.

The players were "playing" for Glass. Which makes Glass tenure even worse because he had the backing of the players and we were STILL shit. Goodwins came in and he's ruffled a few feathers by binning a few, telling others they won't be in next seasons plans and just generally not being Stephen Glass, who some were signed by.  

I think if we were safe from relegation we'd see more players being dropped and Goodwin putting in a few more young boys instead. But he's not got the luxury and having to field his strongest side, even though half of that side will be going. 

Anyways, point being - he needs a couple of windows. Unless we are sitting near the bottom of the table by Christmas, he should be given the season at the very least to bed his team and his "philosophies" in.  

McInnes inherited a side that would stroll into the top 6. 

Glass inherited a side that was barely able to register a shot on goal and had gone a stupidly long time before scoring.

Goodwin inherited a side that has 1 main striker who's sulking as his mate has been sacked and a defence that can't defend for shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

The players were "playing" for Glass. Which makes Glass tenure even worse because he had the backing of the players and we were STILL shit. Goodwins came in and he's ruffled a few feathers by binning a few, telling others they won't be in next seasons plans and just generally not being Stephen Glass, who some were signed by.  

I think if we were safe from relegation we'd see more players being dropped and Goodwin putting in a few more young boys instead. But he's not got the luxury and having to field his strongest side, even though half of that side will be going. 

Anyways, point being - he needs a couple of windows. Unless we are sitting near the bottom of the table by Christmas, he should be given the season at the very least to bed his team and his "philosophies" in.  

McInnes inherited a side that would stroll into the top 6. 

Glass inherited a side that was barely able to register a shot on goal and had gone a stupidly long time before scoring.

Goodwin inherited a side that has 1 main striker who's sulking as his mate has been sacked and a defence that can't defend for shit.

It’s all about how the manager makes that team look. 

mcinnes took the reigns at pittodrie the very day after we failed to finish top 6. For 4 years our finishing positions were 9th, 9th, 9th & 8th. You could argue we only moved up one place cause rangers died. So clearly they weren’t able to stroll into the top 6. We were fucking terrible around then and the thought of going back to that is grim. He had to get a tune out of under performing good players and bring in more good players. That’s what Goodwin needs to do as a minimum too. 

stephen glass took over a team who were literally sitting 4th in march. Right on the tail of 3rd. Sounds pretty good now retrospectively but whatever. Glass from march to the end of the season wasn’t particularly impressive, but we still finished 4th. 

we had lost wright, cosgrove, Watkins & hedges. The 3 attacking players brought in were fucking terrible but the good news was they weren’t staying beyond summer. 

basically the job Glass took on shouldn’t have been as hard as it’s become. I can’t believe how rotten we are now

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
On 4/23/2022 at 5:30 PM, Jigsaw666 said:

Big mistake was telling half the squad he doesn't want them before the end of the season. He's left himself having to hope there's enough of them with a modicum of professionalism to want to avoid the embarrassment of relegation. There's also little doubt that his honeymoon period here has already come to an end.

This, I also worry how we are to attract the calibre of players required, Guaranteed European football has consistently been a selling point that Hibs and Hertz cant offer, Now were looking like a relegation/midtable side.

6 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Hearts have never really been a side who will finish top 3 in consecutive seasons. Think Levin did it early 00s and thats about it for the last god knows how many decades. Knowing Hearts, there is every chance they will somehow up their budget but get relegated next season

No chance they will down.

probably would have expected to see some change on the performances, set up...was hoping within 10 games he'd get the team more defensively sound.

but he is also inheriting a difficult situation...he has stated he needs another 5 or 6 players, I wonder if that is net of the expected loss of Ferguson and Ramsay...in any case, how many of the current players will be in the first team? not many and therein is the immediate issue.

McCrorie, Hayes, Besuijen, Barron are the only 4 at the moment you'd think will be 'guaranteed' first team football.

McKenzie, Gallagher, Bates, McLennan will likely be involved in some way...maybe Gallagher with a new partner could come good, I don't hold out much hope for Bates.

Who knows if Polvara or some of the youth team coming back from loan will be able to contribute...

It's a massive summer of recruitment to say the least...but when more than half the squad won't be here next season it's not surprising we are getting sh1te performances.

Our 'shopping' list will surely need to be more like 10 players:

1 x GK, 2 x CB 2 x FB, 2 xCM, 1 x winger, 2 x strikers...i hope this new recruitment boy and satchel boy Gunn have a load lined up already.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, True_Don said:

probably would have expected to see some change on the performances, set up...was hoping within 10 games he'd get the team more defensively sound.

but he is also inheriting a difficult situation...he has stated he needs another 5 or 6 players, I wonder if that is net of the expected loss of Ferguson and Ramsay...in any case, how many of the current players will be in the first team? not many and therein is the immediate issue.

McCrorie, Hayes, Besuijen, Barron are the only 4 at the moment you'd think will be 'guaranteed' first team football.

McKenzie, Gallagher, Bates, McLennan will likely be involved in some way...maybe Gallagher with a new partner could come good, I don't hold out much hope for Bates.

Who knows if Polvara or some of the youth team coming back from loan will be able to contribute...

It's a massive summer of recruitment to say the least...but when more than half the squad won't be here next season it's not surprising we are getting sh1te performances.

1 x GK, 2 x CB 2 x FB, 2 xCM, 1 x winger, 2 x strikers...i hope this new recruitment boy and satchel boy Gunn have a load lined up already.

Besuijen shouldnt be guaranteed first team football. He's only 20 and still learning.  No assists to date. Needs to earn his place in the team, and not be in the starting line because there is no one else. 

7 minutes ago, True_Don said:

From what I've heard Polvara is miles off the required level and they expect Ryan Duncan to be part of the first team squad, potentially Towler as well.

I can't understand Goodwin comments about 5 new signings, especially if we are selling Ferguson and Ramsay.