The Goodwin effect!

1 hour ago, Harry's Double Shuffle said:

I'd be interested in Butcher's reflections now on how he handled going to Hibs, and would he now do anything different. Regarding the no.9 position, jesus, is there noone else in the building worth a try? Whos scoring for the reserves, or whatever theyre called these days? 

We don't have reserves. There are some decent youth prospects but long time until they'll be match ready. Ruth is back up and he's actually shite.

2 hours ago, Torry Tosser said:

The whole problem belongs at our owners doorstep

He got takin in by the fucking Glasgow press's hype of Goodwin,that he was something special,when in fact it looks like he's just a mediocre run of the mill manager,which there are plenty of out there.

Yeah as someone said earlier in week if glass was sacked in December Goodwin wouldn’t of even been on shortlist! It’s absolutely ridiculous we are relying on a manager with very little credentials to try and get us up the table again and we paid a decent fee for him! You would have thought they would of learned with Glass. 

Got to hope they can pull some rabbits out the hat with recruitment or we will be in deep shit next season! 

2 hours ago, RUL said:

From what I've heard Polvara is miles off the required level and they expect Ryan Duncan to be part of the first team squad, potentially Towler as well.

I can't understand Goodwin comments about 5 new signings, especially if we are selling Ferguson and Ramsay.

Disappointing to hear but expected since he can’t get any minutes in an average side! 

As much as I didn’t want Goodwin when he was appointed I expected us to be hard to beat and end up with a lot of draws in the games like st mirren had.
His record before getting appointed wasn’t good tho st mirren had only 6 wins before he left them and 2 of them were against us. 

He has also had some strange team selections like playing ojo ahead of Ramsay, first week he said it was for ojo’s experience and Ramsay took a head knock. Ojo was pish against county but again he starts ahead of Ramsay.

Someone in the know might be able to tell me but has ojo said he wants to go or has he been told he can leave because my worry is that’s the type of player Goodwin will try to recruit. As if it’s the later and he’s been told he can go why is he starting every game he’s available for. 

50 minutes ago, thurso said:

As much as I didn’t want Goodwin when he was appointed I expected us to be hard to beat and end up with a lot of draws in the games like st mirren had.
His record before getting appointed wasn’t good tho st mirren had only 6 wins before he left them and 2 of them were against us. 

He has also had some strange team selections like playing ojo ahead of Ramsay, first week he said it was for ojo’s experience and Ramsay took a head knock. Ojo was pish against county but again he starts ahead of Ramsay.

Someone in the know might be able to tell me but has ojo said he wants to go or has he been told he can leave because my worry is that’s the type of player Goodwin will try to recruit. As if it’s the later and he’s been told he can go why is he starting every game he’s available for. 

Ramsay has been getting slated every single week since January transfer window. Let’s not pretend he’s not on the bench for any other reason than he has been dreadful.

4 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

It’s all about how the manager makes that team look. 

mcinnes took the reigns at pittodrie the very day after we failed to finish top 6. For 4 years our finishing positions were 9th, 9th, 9th & 8th. You could argue we only moved up one place cause rangers died. So clearly they weren’t able to stroll into the top 6. We were fucking terrible around then and the thought of going back to that is grim. He had to get a tune out of under performing good players and bring in more good players. That’s what Goodwin needs to do as a minimum too. 

stephen glass took over a team who were literally sitting 4th in march. Right on the tail of 3rd. Sounds pretty good now retrospectively but whatever. Glass from march to the end of the season wasn’t particularly impressive, but we still finished 4th. 

we had lost wright, cosgrove, Watkins & hedges. The 3 attacking players brought in were fucking terrible but the good news was they weren’t staying beyond summer. 

basically the job Glass took on shouldn’t have been as hard as it’s become. I can’t believe how rotten we are now

It's incredible how McInnes doesn't get the credit/gets the blame no matter what. 

• Upvote 2

IF the 4-5 new players is genuine, then that’s a worry.

I suppose it largely depends on which contracted players are going.

Ojo, Considine, McGeouch, Montgomery, Jenks, JET will all be gone at the end of their contracts/loans. 

The contracted players?
Lewis? Woods? Ferguson? Ramirez? Kennedy? McLennan? Ramsay? 

You might be looking at 3 of them going? 

That would be 9 leaving maybe?

I’d like to think we need 6-7 minimum, 
with the likes of Evan Towler, Ryan Duncan being added to the squad? 

1 hour ago, huncunts said:

It's incredible how McInnes doesn't get the credit/gets the blame no matter what. 

It is really annoying. 

People try to revise history because they think it somehow means they were wrong for eventually demanding he got sacked. 

I'm fed up of hearing about the man. He's a very competent manager, but despite the 'amazing' job he did with us, his next job was Kilmarnock. He's done a good job there meeting expectation and fair play to them.

You also get weirdo Killie fans sticking the boot in about it like we give a fuck. Derek McInnes was an excellent manager for Aberdeen, saw us win the first trophy in my lifetime under him, and some great individual matches and memories. His time, IMO, will largely be remembered as a 'what if' time in the clubs period. A time we were consistently bridesmaids. 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, thurso said:

Someone in the know might be able to tell me but has ojo said he wants to go or has he been told he can leave because my worry is that’s the type of player Goodwin will try to recruit. As if it’s the later and he’s been told he can go why is he starting every game he’s available for. 

He's out of contract at the end of the season, as far as we know he isn't getting an extension

9 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

It’s highly unusual for an out of contract player to be given a new contract so late in the day.

He’ll be gone. 

I hope you are correct but Goodwin's quote about needing 5 players in summer worries me. 

With all the players out of contract or returning to their parent clubs on top of the 2 we have already paid off, the numbers just don't seem to add up. And Ojo is playing week on, week out. At times ahead of our most valuable asset.

17 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I hope you are correct but Goodwin's quote about needing 5 players in summer worries me. 

With all the players out of contract or returning to their parent clubs on top of the 2 we have already paid off, the numbers just don't seem to add up. And Ojo is playing week on, week out. At times ahead of our most valuable asset.

Especially if you add in the sales, which could be Ferguson, Ramirez and Ramsay. 

Only hope I’ve got is that he wants five in on top of players already signed on pre contracts. 

Would you keep Ojo if he was on a lower wage and used as squad depth.

17 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I agree.

Hard to quantify what exactly the number will be though until we see what (if any other than JET) contracted players leave.

It might be none? I was hoping the likes of Lewis, McLennan & Kennedy would all be away.

If that’s NOT the case, then maybe 5 (first team starters) is all we’ll get? 

There’s also big questions over Ferguson, Ramsay & Ramirez. 
At least two of them will be gone I’d think, maybe all 3. 
If that’s the case, they’ll all need replaced too. 

7 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

Especially if you add in the sales, which could be Ferguson, Ramirez and Ramsay. 

Only hope I’ve got is that he wants five in on top of players already signed on pre-contracts. 

We don’t know that there are.

I’d find it odd that nothing has been reported if we have. 

3 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

Only hope I’ve got is that he wants five in on top of players already signed on pre contracts. 

If he would accept £1500/wk then I'd consider him for a 2 year extension on the basis that he was a pure squad player

But I doubt he'd accept such a shitty wage. And I'd have my doubts that Goodwin wouldn't be tempted to play him regularly.

No best all round if he heads back to Belgium or Holland. Actually even better if he heads off to one of the Edinburgh clubs and gets a regular game.

2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We don’t know that there are.

I’d find it odd that nothing has been reported if we have. 

When was Gallagher signing made public knowledge, also could Aberdeen and players be holding off signing anything until survival is guaranteed or could it just be nobody wants anyone knowing. 

2 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

If he would accept £1500/wk then I'd consider him for a 2 year extension on the basis that he was a pure squad player

But I doubt he'd accept such a shitty wage. And I'd have my doubts that Goodwin wouldn't be tempted to play him regularly.

No best all round if he heads back to Belgium or Holland. Actually even better if he heads off to one of the Edinburgh clubs and gets a regular game.

I’d keep him on a wage like that but agree he wouldn’t accept it especially if also sat on the bench most weeks. 

One other positive I will give him is if he has been told he’s off he hasn’t downed tools like other and that could be why he’s constantly starting as Goodwin trusts him

7 hours ago, Poodler said:

Has singing about ten players in one window ever worked for any club? Can’t imagine the dons have the finances let alone have scouted 10 potential first teamers

living in dream land 

We don't need 10 new players either. The narrative that all our players are shite is nonsense. 

9 hours ago, Durrant Dived said:

I'll be raging if Goodwin keeps Ojo. He has been shite since day, Mcinnes saw that by punting him out on loan(yes I am aware mcinnes actually signed him but at least he rectified his mistake by getting him to fuck). He has had a handful of ok games, nothing more. 

I can’t believe there’s a discussion about it, he’s absolutely shite.

37 minutes ago, Parklife said:

We don't need 10 new players either. The narrative that all our players are shite is nonsense. 

We definitely need a goalkeeper, right back, centre back, left back, centre mid, winger and 2 strikers, based on the assumption that Ramsay, Ferguson and Ramirez are leaving, so it won’t be far off 10 players. 

i suspect Ryan Duncan will enter first team squad and Goodwin maybe rates Mackenzie at left back. 

Going to be a long season if we start with Lewis/Gallagher/Bates again.

46 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Ideally in 5 years time I want some miserable bastard on here saying "aye but Goodwin inherited a good team. He had ferguson, ramsay, mckenzie, mccorrie, watkins, vicente & ramirez" - cause they are all shit hot next season....

Just now, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Ideally in 5 years time I want some miserable bastard on here saying "aye but Goodwin inherited a good team. He had ferguson, ramsay, mckenzie, mccorrie, watkins, vicente & ramirez" - cause they are all shit hot next season....

More likely we will be making excuses for Goodwin after he was made to sell his best two players to clear debts and not given money to replace them.

8 hours ago, Hoofball said:

12 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

I’d keep him on a wage like that but agree he wouldn’t accept it especially if also sat on the bench most weeks. 

One other positive I will give him is if he has been told he’s off he hasn’t downed tools like other and that could be why he’s constantly starting as Goodwin trusts him

I wouldn’t offer him a contract at all he might not have downed tools but he’s been fucking awful the last 2 games he’s started ahead of Ramsay 

12 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Ramsay has been getting slated every single week since January transfer window. Let’s not pretend he’s not on the bench for any other reason than he has been dreadful.

ramsay being slated on here doesn’t mean he’s been shit, Ferguson gets slated on here all the time and he’s been our best player for 2 years. 
My feelings are Ramsay has been dropped as he’s to attacking, goodwins teams haven’t exactly had attacking full backs he would go for defensive minded ones all the time that’s why ojo and Mackenzie started Saturday 

Just now, thurso said:

I wouldn’t offer him a contract at all he might not have downed tools but he’s been fucking awful the last 2 games he’s started ahead of Ramsay 

ramsay being slated on here doesn’t mean he’s been shit, Ferguson gets slated on here all the time and he’s been our best player for 2 years. 
My feelings are Ramsay has been dropped as he’s to attacking, goodwins teams haven’t exactly had attacking full backs he would go for defensive minded ones all the time that’s why ojo and Mackenzie started Saturday 

Goodwin even made reference to it himself. But Ojo can’t defend either so we lose Ramsay attacking for a player who can’t defend or attack. Bizarre.