Aberdeen 1 - 0 Dundee

1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

If he's not good enough to play in midfield, could we make a central defender out of him - he's about 7ft tall. Or try him up front, or give him a shot in goal.

I think it was the Sevco game he came on for about 5 minutes and the handful of touches he had looked decent enough. 

Surely if mathematically safe before last game he will get a start? 

41 minutes ago, slippers said:

Surely if mathematically safe before last game he will get a start? 

You'd like to think so 

Some seem to be writing him off as shite already but he's only 3 months down the line from a hernia repair op. As surgery goes, it's definitely at the "minor" end of things but nevertheless he wouldn't have trained for at least a month afterwards and even minor surgery can result in scar tissue causing niggles for up to a couple of years afterwards. So he might still be going about things quite gingerly which in turn may make him look worse than he actually is.

He certainly needs a good pre-season behind him before we can really judge properly.

5 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

The club needs to reject that right away. 

Too important a match to be officiated by that particular rat. 

No no Goodwin is praising collum being the ref for the game, infact he is gushing over him saying he's a great ref etc.

4 hours ago, Ke1t said:

I'm going to assume you bonked your noggin at some point in time between now and when you watched Phoenix. I, too, watched Mackie's USL adventure, and barely missed a Phoenix match. 

Scott Morrison was unquestionably the best player on the field at any given time, and they actually had to start playing him in midfield such was his influence.  He looked like the living incarnation of Georgie Best compared to most. 

Mackie was abysmal, and (un)arguably their worst player.  There were multiple reasons for this, but at the heart of his shitness for Phoenix was the fact he was shit. He was out of his depth, and even though he was allegedly Robertson's 'Star' signing, he eventually played second fiddle to Donny Toia, a defender who was a better forward than Mackie. Toia easily made the step up to MLS. 

Paul Mason was playing amateur fitba and working as a labourer when he signed for Groningen. He was an integral part of a very strong Aberdeen side that had guys like Charlie Nicholas, Theo Snelders, Jim Bett, and Hans Gillhaus. If Groningen had considered the West Cheshire Football League not worth their time scouting, Mason would have finished his career lifting bricks rather than trophies he'd helped win. 

The point being that the standard of play in any given league is not the issue... you get people with immense talent starting in the amateurs, and you get people with no talent playing in the pros... the issue is that dismissing a player because of where they currently play is an extraordinarily silly thing to do. 

spacer.png

See; Gurr, Jet, Samuels, J.Gallagher. 

All signings were judged where they came from and fans were correct. 

Quite rare to get a Mason, as you described, and it's often that they'll be picked up by a smaller club then move on to bigger ones gradually as they improve.

Highly unlikely anyone from Atlanta II or Wolves reserves/Bradfords bench was ever going to come in and improve Aberdeen.  

13 minutes ago, CCB III said:

* All signings were judged where they came from and fans were correct. 

Quite rare to get a Mason, as you described, and it's often that they'll be picked up by a smaller club then move on to bigger ones gradually as they improve.

Highly unlikely anyone from Atlanta II or Wolves reserves/Bradfords bench was ever going to come in and improve Aberdeen.  

* We're in the hit or miss market. He might well be shite, but pre-judging a player is asinine. 'Being 'correct' in retrospect doesn't make that any less asinine. 

** We're in the hit or miss market. We gamble that they might. 

Polvara is one of the brightest prospects from an emerging footballing nation. Writing him off without giving him game time, while absolute pish like Ojo continues to appear is also asinine. 

33 minutes ago, CCB III said:

All signings were judged where they came from and fans were correct. 

Not much difference between wolves reserves and Everton reserves, but simms seems to have done a job for hearts?.

29 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

* We're in the hit or miss market. He might well be shite, but pre-judging a player is asinine. 'Being 'correct' in retrospect doesn't make that any less asinine. 

** We're in the hit or miss market. We gamble that they might. 

Polvara is one of the brightest prospects from an emerging footballing nation. Writing him off without giving him game time, while absolute pish like Ojo continues to appear is also asinine. 

Dunno if anyone has outright written him off. I've heard through the grapevine he's not actually that great. 

Do you not think Goodwin would sooner play the 21 year old who should be full of running and seemingly has good technical ability, over the 31 year old journeyman who's definitely away at the end of this season? 

We'll see on Saturday, I suppose. 

8 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

Not much difference between wolves reserves and Everton reserves, but simms seems to have done a job for hearts?.

Simms already had fruitful loan spell at Blackpool. Samuels one and only loan spell was brutal, by all accounts. 

So, one had proved he could hack men's football, and has actually appeared for Everton in the PL, the other guy...well he's now on ICTs bench. 

9 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Dunno if anyone has outright written him off. I've heard through the grapevine he's not actually that great. 

Do you not think Goodwin would sooner play the 21 year old who should be full of running and seemingly has good technical ability, over the 31 year old journeyman who's definitely away at the end of this season? 

Maybe Goodwin figured it would be better to have an experienced player in for the relegation fight rather than a more technically gifted player who has almost  zero playing time and no real experience in Scottish football. 

I doubt he'll set the heather on fire in his first (few?) games. Rather he's going to need a run of matches to get up to speed. 

My concern is that if he fails to impress in his first match he'll immediately be written off. 

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Maybe Goodwin figured it would be better to have an experienced player in for the relegation fight rather than a more technically gifted player who has almost  zero playing time and no real experience in Scottish football. 

I doubt he'll set the heather on fire in his first (few?) games. Rather he's going to need a run of matches to get up to speed. 

My concern is that if he fails to impress in his first match he'll immediately be written off. 

My concern is he won't get a chance because he's actually kak and we don't know yet. 

Be delighted if proven wrong. 

23 minutes ago, CCB III said:

If Polvara was good enough he’d be getting game time. 
Given that we desperately need at least one win to release some pressure, he’ll go with experience. 
And sadly that means Ojo probably,  seeing as McGeouch is injured 

30 minutes ago, CCB III said:

Simms already had fruitful loan spell at Blackpool. Samuels one and only loan spell was brutal, by all accounts. 

So, one had proved he could hack men's football, and has actually appeared for Everton in the PL, the other guy...well he's now on ICTs bench. 

1 appearance for Everton ???

1 half season Blackpool 21 games, proven?,

so there is a chance of getting a player from an EPL reserve side that could do us a turn if we correctly scouted players of worth.

we just picked a donkey.

heard the same shite regarding Maddison when here, too weak, looks disinterested, check out his funny clear see through bag, wee poof like. 
year later 20 million to Leicester 

9 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

1 appearance for Everton ???

1 half season Blackpool 21 games, proven?,

so there is a chance of getting a player from an EPL reserve side that could do us a turn if we correctly scouted players of worth.

we just picked a donkey.

heard the same shite regarding Maddison when here, too weak, looks disinterested, check out his funny clear see through bag, wee poof like. 
year later 20 million to Leicester 

Simms clearly higher thought of than Samuels. Just because they both played PL reserves means nothing.  

8 goals in league 1 for Blackpool 

Samuels with no goals in league 2 for Bradford 

Wouldn't say it's the same comparison. 

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We surely couldn't have watched Samuels before taking him? 

One look would have been enough.

First time he received the ball, stopped, looked up and then ran head down in a straight line everyone knew he was hopeless 

I thought he did OK in the first match v tims then he was never to be seen again. 

Bizarre signing after Glass asserted he wouldn't be signing "filler." When we all knew that's what he was. 

Recruitment has been so dire it's mad when you think about it. 

37 minutes ago, CCB III said:

My concern is he won't get a chance because he's actually kak and we don't know yet. 

Be delighted if proven wrong. 

He might be... but I don't see any reason to assume as much without seeing him play a game of football. 

1 minute ago, CCB III said:

I thought he did OK in the first match v tims then he was never to be seen again. 

Bizarre signing after Glass asserted he wouldn't be signing "filler." When we all knew that's what he was. 

Recruitment has been so dire it's mad when you think about it. 

4 poor windows in a row now. Got to bite you in the bum eventually. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

He might be... but I don't see any reason to assume as much without seeing him play a game of football. 

If we win our next two games we're safe. We have two games after that, I'd expect to see them throw him in. 

All ifs and buts tho but rn we're sinking like a stone. 

4 minutes ago, CCB III said:

If we win our next two games we're safe. We have two games after that, I'd expect to see them throw him in. 

All ifs and buts tho but rn we're sinking like a stone. 

Indeed we are... but remember, any talk of potential relegation is ridiculous.. for reasons. 

1 minute ago, Dons79 said:

It’s not a comparison read back what YOU said, its unlickely that you can get a player from the EPL reserves that can do a job?

you’ve just proven you can given the right scouting, I thank you.

See, your words bud, not mine. I was showing you in simms case you were wrong, which you have actively proven that yourself by talking simms up.?

I certainly never spelled 'unlikely' as 'unlickely.' 

Should've been more specific. Straight out of the reserves with bad experience of first team football at a lower level than ours- fair to assume they won't do a turn. 

Coming into our team after a fruitful spell at a level similar to ours- fair to assume it has a chance of working out. 

Apples and oranges. Only similarity is they both, as you rightly say, played for an EPL U23 side.