57 minutes ago, scottymc said:

Having had a long think about it the problem I think with this season and a few seasons prior to this is that the majority of players employed by the club are sold on the tradition and success of the club many years ago. They come in and honestly believe they are the ‘shit’ and better than other players in the league.

As many have pointed out when things started going pear shape these players had no grit or determination to get themselves out the mess we got into. They just assumed it would get better. Well it hasn’t. We have sneaked through because the other teams around us are just as shite.

I think we have avoided a total disaster this season. It’s been woeful but thankfully we are still in the league.

Goodwin may not be getting the results just now but I honestly believe he will get a group together who may not win every game but they will show some pride, determination and a bit of fight about them. 

He has a huge job in the summer. Interesting times ahead for the club 

It's just been shit full stop. The Glass appointment and subsequent transfer window was deplorable. 

Goodwin talks about characters and the correct mentality, I agree with him we need those sort of players and a good few of them, players who will roll up their sleeves and get stuck in, show a bit of fight and passion. 

I suspect at times football may not be the prettiest but if we can churn out results, become stronger mentally and difficult to beat I'll buy into that after this seasons cluster fuck.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, slippers said:

You think Glass would of picked up less than 10 points in 10 games? As bad as it was I’d debate it probably wasn’t this bad. Small margins but to claim we have improved under Goodwin is a big reach. 

We have improved under Goodwin , he has  something HERR glass didn’t have.    Guts and a set of balls, and isn’t a pussy twat. 

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, KenDodd'sDad said:

“You’d”.

Outing yourself as a hun again.

Mods, get this hun to fuck please.

Hey DODDIE if I’m a hun you sound like a cream bun, soft in the head with crap running out the side of your brain, your ears. Stick your tickling stick up where the sun don’t shine.    YOU’D “. OUTING. Now that sounds like a F——G HUN.  

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, scottymc said:

Having had a long think about it the problem I think with this season and a few seasons prior to this is that the majority of players employed by the club are sold on the tradition and success of the club many years ago. They come in and honestly believe they are the ‘shit’ and better than other players in the league.

As many have pointed out when things started going pear shape these players had no grit or determination to get themselves out the mess we got into. They just assumed it would get better. Well it hasn’t. We have sneake through because the other teams around us are just as shite.

Yes I completely agree. I am fed up hearing some two bit player saying after they arrive that, "Aberdeen are a huge club", which seems to give them a misplaced sense of greatness in the overall scheme of things. It's almost like they are overawed  by it all and forget it's just about playing a decent game of football most of the time.

You want them to respect the club I completely understand that but too many of them act like they are the next Gillhaus. We should be as a club challenging for third every year (and trying to get closer to the top two) but you get the feeling certainly with this years bunch that they just expect it as opposed to earning it. 

1 hour ago, scottymc said:

You want them to respect the club I completely understand that but too many of them act like they are the next Gillhaus. We should be as a club challenging for third every year (and trying to get closer to the top two) but you get the feeling certainly with this years bunch that they just expect it as opposed to earning it. 

Who’s acted like he’s the next Gillhaus ?   

The only player this season who has , in my view ,  had a misplaced arrogance about him is Scott Brown....but not because he thinks we’re a huge club.  

1 hour ago, scottymc said:

Do you not have to believe you are better than the opposition. If you don’t they already have one up on you and you go in with an inferiority complex not expecting to win 

4 minutes ago, redone said:

Who’s acted like he’s the next Gillhaus ?   

The only player this season who has , in my view ,  had a misplaced arrogance about him is Scott Brown....but not because he thinks we’re a huge club.  

I’d want all my teams players to have an arrogance about them and think they are better than the rest 

12 hours ago, thurso said:

I’d want all my teams players to have an arrogance about them and think they are better than the rest 

It's the Fergie mentality that we all know so well. Genuine belief that you will go to Glasgow and beat the cheeks.  None of this 'hopefully' chat that McInnes used to constantly come out with.

3 hours ago, Rico1903 said:

It's the Fergie mentality that we all know so well. Genuine belief that you will go to Glasgow and beat the cheeks.  None of this 'hopefully' chat that McInnes used to constantly come out with.

When Fergie was here the gulf between the arse cheeks and us was nowhere near as huge as it is now.  In terms of both financial resources and quality of players.  It still wasn't exactly a level playing field , but a helluva lot closer to one than it is now.

4 hours ago, Rico1903 said:

But then under McInnes we rarely lost to teams below us. We had a swagger about us in the first couple of seasons, absolutely battering sides, but then something changed. It wasn't just the playing side, but the tactics and the approach to the games. We went from looking like we'd win a game comfortably, to scoring a goal and just hanging on till full time. Fuck knows. Maybe it was down to the players we recruited and the trust he had, but that was down to McInnes. 

13 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

But then under McInnes we rarely lost to teams below us. We had a swagger about us in the first couple of seasons, absolutely battering sides, but then something changed. It wasn't just the playing side, but the tactics and the approach to the games. We went from looking like we'd win a game comfortably, to scoring a goal and just hanging on till full time. Fuck knows. Maybe it was down to the players we recruited and the trust he had, but that was down to McInnes. 

The turning point was when he spoke to the Huns.  Things changed not only for the fans but for the team and the management team.  Totally ridiculous situation the whole few weeks it played out for.

1 minute ago, jamiesd said:

The turning point was when he spoke to the Huns.  Things changed not only for the fans but for the team and the management team.  Totally ridiculous situation the whole few weeks it played out for.

Yeah that was the turning point. 

Most folk were generally buzzing when he (eventually) turned down Sunderland in the summer even though it put us on the back foot recruitment wise that window. 

But speaking to the Huns only a few months after saying he 'wasn't ready to leave' stuck in people's craws.  It didn't help that it was the Huns but I think it would have had a similar effect regardless of which club it was.  It changed the sentiment completely to well if you're that keen to leave then just fucking go. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, redone said:

When Fergie was here the gulf between the arse cheeks and us was nowhere near as huge as it is now.  In terms of both financial resources and quality of players.  It still wasn't exactly a level playing field , but a helluva lot closer to one than it is now.

It isn't often mentioned but Ferguson did have one big slice of luck joining us when he did in that at precisely the time he joined, Rangers were rebuilding Ibrox which severely restricted their playing budget and allowed us to not just compete for players that they also might have been interested in....but actually offer terms to them that they couldn't match. Celtic probably could have afforded to at least match us but they had the famous "biscuit tin" mentality in full swing and consequently for a few short years Aberdeen were the best paying club in Scotland.

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

But speaking to the Huns only a few months after saying he 'wasn't ready to leave' stuck in people's craws.  It didn't help that it was the Huns but I think it would have had a similar effect regardless of which club it was.  It changed the sentiment completely to well if you're that keen to leave then just fucking go.

Was more the whole charade of the thing, dragged on for weeks and we played them twice and lost both didn't we?

For me certialy left a bad taste in the mouth and for many their opinion on him didnt improve much after 

2 hours ago, alscotoz said:

Because they fit your criteria... however misplaced that arrogance is, it exists. Aberdeen players accept their place in the scheme of things and until that changes...

So you don’t think players should be thinking they will win every match 

Spoke to a Hun about this the other day.  He said (and maddeningly I had to agree with him) that they’ve always hired people on the basis they had to insist the Huns were something they weren’t ie. Decent when in fact they were nothing more than mediocre.

Other teams (clearly referring to us) almost insist they can’t be something they’re not - so we might be decent but the mentality is instilled that we’re third place mediocrity at best.

Disappointingly accurate.  Of course there’s mitigations, budgets, training facilities, simple ability etc to confuse it but his basic premise was bang on.

Dereks self imposed glass ceiling was there for all to see (were it not made of glass, obviously)

1 hour ago, alscotoz said:

Not really, no. But I do expect that they give their best every time they step on the pitch.

Don’t think you have ever played football then.
If you go into a match not thinking your going to win you have pretty much lost before the game has even started. 

19 minutes ago, Rico1903 said:

So if you’re managing a team you’d be ok with your players going into games thinking they won’t win it? Really? 

7 minutes ago, thurso said:

Don’t think you have ever played football then.
If you go into a match not thinking your going to win you have pretty much lost before the game has even started. 

Yeah, I've played and didn't have that attitude and I didn't say I'd be happy with it if i was the boss.  I think we've got players who are unprofessional, with very little pride, who couldn't give a fuck what the score is. Definitely some players gone into games with the cheeks thinking we're going to lose....some of that will be the manager effect. 

Players obviously don't reveal this out loud. And they get the result that attitude deserves.

19 hours ago, thurso said:

So you don’t think players should be thinking they will win every match 

2 hours ago, alscotoz said:

Not really, no. But I do expect that they give their best every time they step on the pitch.

29 minutes ago, alscotoz said:

Yeah, I've played and didn't have that attitude and I didn't say I'd be happy with it if i was the boss.  I think we've got players who are unprofessional, with very little pride, who couldn't give a fuck what the score is. Definitely some players gone into games with the cheeks thinking we're going to lose....some of that will be the manager effect. 

Players obviously don't reveal this out loud. And they get the result that attitude deserves.

We were talking about your expectations of players in general. You said you didn’t think players should expect to win every game then said you wouldn’t be happy with that if you were a boss. Eh?