Happy Gothenburg day

7 hours ago, CCB III said:

Get over it, IMO. 

These nostalgic obsessions are holding the club back. Very soon we'll no longer be able to say we were the last Scottish club to win a European trophy.

Even if that disgusting club win next week, we retain the boast of being the only Scottish club to have won two European honours.

• Upvote 3

What was worse about Porto beating us in the semi is that oldco had faced them a couple of rounds beforehand and only got put out on away goals. I'm sure that Porto scored very late on at Ibrox to get their away goal. It would have been fucking epic to have faced der Hun in the semi and we certainly wouldn't have lost against them

9 hours ago, CCB III said:

Get over it, IMO. 

These nostalgic obsessions are holding the club back. Very soon we'll no longer be able to say we were the last Scottish club to win a European trophy.

Complete negativity from a millenial prick. 

For those of us that were there it was the best day of our lives (in a sporting sense) and likely never to be reapeated.  Also, by far the greatest achievement by a provincial club in Scotland ever.  Yeah, we'll hang on to our memories thank you and you can go shag yer grunny or granda mair likely.

No need to reply as I have lost interest in anything you have to say (but you won't be able to help yourself- FAIL!!!!).

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

What was worse about Porto beating us in the semi is that oldco had faced them a couple of rounds beforehand and only got put out on away goals. I'm sure that Porto scored very late on at Ibrox to get their away goal. It would have been fucking epic to have faced der Hun in the semi and we certainly wouldn't have lost against them

Cant be true. Can it? What were huns doing in CWC in 84? Because they lost in 83 final, and we entered as holders? Ok, could be then. I remember that second leg, a beautiful spring evening up north in tuechterland, kicking a ball around the garden, Radio Scotland commentary full blast, listening to the description of fog enveloping Pittodrie....that goal was such a sickener, knew there was no way back. Other semi was Man U v Juve I think. First leg was only TV highlights I recall, getting out only 0-1 down was seen as a good result, they pummelled us that night. What could have been.....first team to retain CWC! Alas.....

At one time we celebrated beating the biggest clubs in the world. 

Today, we celebrate not getting relegated, and are playing with no recognised strikers, a barebones midfield, a defence that couldn't get a game for a local Sunday League team, a Celtic left back playing in an attacking role and who'll be at Thistle in a few months, and a goalie who may or may not be finished. 

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

At one time we celebrated beating the biggest clubs in the world. 

Today, we celebrate not getting relegated, and are playing with no recognised strikers, a barebones midfield, a defence that couldn't get a game for a local Sunday League team, a Celtic left back playing in an attacking role and who'll be at Thistle in a few months, and a goalie who may or may not be finished. 

spacer.png

Could be worse. 

We could all be Huns 

11th May, 2023 will be the 40th anniversary of that never to be forgotten night.

The snake oil salesman will no doubt want to celebrate our most momentous achievement in style.

As a Dons supporter from before and after the simply surreal Fergie era I sincerely hope our onfield performances improve by then otherwise the celebration of our finest team ever might coincide with our worst team ever.

A scarey but entirely possible prospect!!!

On 5/11/2022 at 9:43 AM, The Boofon said:

Should have lost 1-0 if the linesman had done his job correctly. Black was offside for his goal.

This is untrue. The law concerning offside was different back then. 

Black may have been in an offside position when McLeish headered the ball (I'm not sure he was), but the fact that it then came off a Real player automatically made him onside. 

So we won.