Worst Season Ever?

No. On a points per league game (using three points for a win) there have been 13 poorer seasons.

Worst in living memory? Again no, four of these seasons were more than 100 years ago and six had a measure of cup success notably 1999/2000 with two finals reached and even Steve Paterson got us into two quarter finals in 2003/04.

That leaves three contenders plus the season just ended for the title of worst in living memory.

1948/49 just squeaks in, anyone who witnessed that will be in their eighties or nineties. Seven wins from thirty league games, didn't qualify from league cup group and out in first round of the cup.

1998/99 under the guidance of Alex Miller and then Paul Hegarty. Ten wins from thirty six league games, out of the League cup in first round at home to Livingston then in the third tier and out in the second round of the cup.

2009/10 which was Mark McGhee's first season. Ten wins from thirty eight league games, out in the first round of the league cup and out in the second round of the cup at Pittodrie to Raith Rovers of the second tier plus losing 8-1 in the first round of the Europa League.

Being subjective I would say that each of those three seasons were worse than the one just ended.

So Mr Chairman you have presided over Aberdeen's fourth worst season in living memory. Room for improvement?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RUL said:

It felt like the most boring I’ve seen. 65% possession , never look like scoring and can’t defend. A fairly brutal combination.

100% this. Ironic after all the talk about wanting to bring exciting attacking football back to Pittodrie. Was the exact opposite of that. Brutally boring passing around in our own half the entire game, creating about one proper chance per match and missing it, and then conceding one proper chance through some ridiculous defending or goalkeeping and conceding. For the last few months its felt like the only way we'd ever score was through a penalty. Never been so glad to reach the end of a season to get a couple months off from watching that garbage.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Don_Corleone said:

100% this. Ironic after all the talk about wanting to bring exciting attacking football back to Pittodrie. Was the exact opposite of that. Brutally boring passing around in our own half the entire game, creating about one proper chance per match and missing it, and then conceding one proper chance through some ridiculous defending or goalkeeping and conceding. For the last few months its felt like the only way we'd ever score was through a penalty. Never been so glad to reach the end of a season to get a couple months off from watching that garbage.

I think someone at the club got confused between possession based football and attacking football. 

13 times we've managed to finish in the top 4 in the last 21 seasons. Hearts, for comparison, have only finished in the top four positions 8 times.

Considering we've endured both Paterson and McGhee during that period we've actually done alright compared to everyone else outside the OF.

Interestingly, St Mirren have had their most stable period in the top flight under.....Jim Goodwin. He also achieved their highest placed finish (7th).

33 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

13 times we've managed to finish in the top 4 in the last 21 seasons. Hearts, for comparison, have only finished in the top four positions 8 times.

Considering we've endured both Paterson and McGhee during that period we've actually done alright compared to everyone else outside the OF.

Interestingly, St Mirren have had their most stable period in the top flight under.....Jim Goodwin. He also achieved their highest placed finish (7th).

And who's classically been the 2 managers most on here moan about the most... McInnes and Calderwood

Only 1 Ebbe Skovdahl season have we even managed the top 6 out with those 2. Worrying for the future

17 minutes ago, Daisy1903 said:

I remember some pretty bad times under Alex Miller, Mark McGhee and Steve Paterson and we probably had worse teams under those 3. BUT, I've never been so consistently bored watching Aberdeen in my life.

Same! Watching this season has been nothing but self harming, insipid turgid crap and even how shite we were then, I wasn’t bored as I have been this season, really hope for some life injected into the club soon.

20 hours ago, Saturday's Kid said:

2009/10 which was Mark McGhee's first season. Ten wins from thirty eight league games, out in the first round of the league cup and out in the second round of the cup at Pittodrie to Raith Rovers of the second tier plus losing 8-1 in the first round of the Europa League.

Being subjective I would say that each of those three seasons were worse than the one just ended.

We still managed to finish lower position wise this season in 10th. Dizzy heights of 9th in 09/10. Both on grand total of 41 points funnily enough.

03/04 always sticks out for me as particularly poor league wise. 34 points and well clear in 2nd bottom. How Partick Thistle had a worse season than us that season is beyond me.

1 minute ago, RAZOR said:

We still managed to finish lower position wise this season in 10th. Dizzy heights of 9th in 09/10. Both on grand total of 41 points funnily enough.

03/04 always sticks out for me as particularly poor league wise. 34 points and well clear in 2nd bottom. How Partick Thistle had a worse season than us that season is beyond me.

Who's better, Christian Ramirez or David Zdrilic? 

On 5/15/2022 at 7:14 PM, RUL said:

It felt like the most boring I’ve seen. 65% possession , never look like scoring and can’t defend. A fairly brutal combination.

This. We deserved to get relegated . Absolute shite . Just when you thought we’d hit a new low we’d then hit another one . Just garbage.  Jim Shitbiscuits doesn’t inspire me with any confidence at all either . I’d give him 4 games at the start of next season and if there’s no obvious improvement get him to fuck .

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

This. We deserved to get relegated . Absolute shite . Just when you thought we’d hit a new low we’d then hit another one . Just garbage.  Jim Shitbiscuits doesn’t inspire me with any confidence at all either . I’d give him 4 games at the start of next season and if there’s no obvious improvement get him to fuck .

I seen him in pj asking for 12 months ? hes in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks I’m enduring this shite through 2022

55 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

We’ll if you’re knocking on for 55, I’m surprised you ask if this is our worst ever.

It’s been shite, no question, but not the worst. 

I think he may be older unless he went to the football when he was months old. 

Worst ever for me, at least with the other really crap seasons there was usually a half decent cup run. Or maybe recency bias is kicking in and in 20 years we will look back fondly at our dominant performance against Edinburgh City and only losing most games by the odd goal. 

It's been said on other threads already, but IF the ridiculous refereeing decisions that have been given against us hadn't been, we'd be easily have been top 6, possibly pushing for Europe even.

The most boring season ever? Probably yes.

The worst season ever? I don't think so.

I've also watched the Dons since the 70's, and I'm sure there have been worse seasons than this. I just can't really remember them at this moment. 

McGhee was a fucking disaster for the club so maybe his time at Pittodrie was as painful as the last 12 months or so. 

Tbh, the last 12 months are like a combination of Alex Miller and McGhee combined. The dream team. 

It's hugely frustrating. All Cormack had to do was to find a manager that was going to build on the foundations that McInnes left behind....we needed experience and proven ability, and I suspect that with someone like Alex Neil even a transitional season would have seen us finish 4th at worst. 

But no, Cormack decided to be fucking clever and rip up any foundations laid. He's so determined to have a legacy that he set the club back 10 years with the world's most ridiculous managerial appointment. 

His legacy was a baw hair away from being the club's first ever relegation. There's a fair to middling chance that in12 months time, it still could be. 

• Upvote 2