Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Saturday's Kid

Worst Season Ever?

Recommended Posts

Been a Dons fan since the 60's, with my first match being a Texaco Cup game against Newcastle in 1971 (4-2 us).

I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly over the years from the Fergie era, when even when we were 2-0 down to St Mirren after 9 minutes we expected to win and we did 4-2, to the bad of this season, which has been pure horse shit since the Raith defeat and finally the ugly of McGhee's tenure when it started very badly with a 5-1 home defeat in Europe and couldn't get any worse with that 9-0 embarrassment at Parkhead.

I am old enough to understand that sometimes you have suffer the bad, if not the ugly, if you want to sample the good.

ūü§ěBetter times are around the corner, especially if big Jim gets rid of a good few and signs well in the summer.¬† COYR!!!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Andy_123 said:

It's been said on other threads already, but IF the ridiculous refereeing decisions that have been given against us hadn't been, we'd be easily have been top 6, possibly pushing for Europe even.

The most boring season ever? Probably yes.

The worst season ever? I don't think so.

Agree. 
Being shite has cost us a shed load of points.

Being consistently done over & cheated by the bastards in the black has also cost us about 10 points. 
We’d easily have been top 6 & probably in Europe if the cheating/inept (you decide) cunts had done their jobs properly. 
 

Share this post


Link to post

The boringness has been the worst part. We talk about how bad January-March '21 in particular under McInnes was but at at least that was just a couple months. We've had a full season of it when we were promised exciting attacking football. 

The strange part about this season is we are ending it with talk of selling a midfielder for 3+ million and a right back for 6 odd million. Season 09/10 under McGhee and 03/04 under Paterson were shite but our most valuable players were probably worth about 500k. It's frustrating to have seemingly good individuals but manage to finish 10th.

Share this post


Link to post

Our worst season ever was under Steve Paterson (2003-2004). We were fortunate Partick Thistle were in the league that year. That was a miserable season.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

Our worst season ever was under Steve Paterson (2003-2004). We were fortunate Partick Thistle were in the league that year. That was a miserable season.

That also shows how you can build a decent SPFL team in just one window though. We were god awful in 03/04 but JC still inherited Anderson, Diamond (he was not bad back then...), McGuire, McNaughton, Heikkinen. Just a few solid players and brought in some of his own and that was us from 11th to 4th, level on points with 3rd, winning at Celtic Park that season too. 

No excuses or "Goodwin needs at least 3 windows" will be accepted next season. Top 4 is the absolute minimum. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, spamspamspam said:

I've seen worse, not by much but being saved relegation by stadium was worse than this season.

We've been shite but at least we arent in a play off. 

FFS¬†ūü§¶‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Probably the biggest underachievers. Having the third biggest budget in one of the shittest leagues in memory, investing £2m extra with a 26 man squad at the start of the season including the Celtic captain, and finishing with the same points as McGhee, is unbelievable. I think we could have hired the manager of any team in the Scotland and not done as badly. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, spamspamspam said:

I've seen worse, not by much but being saved relegation by stadium was worse than this season.

We've been shite but at least we arent in a play off. 

Aye, that didn't happen.

Shite fed to mongs by the weegie press. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, huncunts said:

Probably the biggest underachievers. Having the third biggest budget in one of the shittest leagues in memory, investing £2m extra with a 26 man squad at the start of the season including the Celtic captain, and finishing with the same points as McGhee, is unbelievable. I think we could have hired the manager of any team in the Scotland and not done as badly. 

I think there were plenty of predictions at the beginning of last season that we would end up 9th or 10th. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Lived through the Ferguson era, fantastic to be a Dons fan, extra special being a kid at the time.

Seen the lows since, and the highs, JC managing the team in Europe , the Copenhagen night at Pittodrie will live long in the memories, along with watching the Dons play against Real Madrid on the telly.

Fingers crossed we are better next season, with a new team that has evolved into a force to be reckoned with.

Can all but hope, but we will come good again.

Love the fact the youth system is showing signs of producing quality players.

 

COYR.

Share this post


Link to post

Patterson was a cheap appointment to manage the decline of a club saddled with massive debt in 2003/2004.  He was pish but I don't hold it against him, the club was fucked.

McGhee we had big expectations of, hoping the Gothenburg Great would build on Calderwood's team, but turning out to be a complete disaster due to the mismatch between his ego and the poor attitude of some of those players.

For some reason, the Alex Miller years are the ones I hate the most.  Aitken had won a cup but was a bit shit in the league.  He signed a mixture of good and crap players, all over priced.  Miller then sold those same players ridiculously cheap and signed shite as replacements.  Football that was painfully boring to watch.  That was the time it started to sink in we'd gone from a club with a reputation and qualifying regularly for Europe to a shit club in a shit league.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly over the years from the Fergie era, when even when we were 2-0 down to St Mirren after 9 minutes we expected to win and we did 4-2,

One of my favourite games at Pittodrie.  We had Joe Harper so we knew we'd get some goals, I think he got a hat trick that day.  Unless I'm mistaken, a young Frank McGarvey was on the scoresheet for the Saints.  Scottish football seemed much more enjoyable in those days.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Patterson was a cheap appointment to manage the decline of a club saddled with massive debt in 2003/2004.  He was pish but I don't hold it against him, the club was fucked.

McGhee we had big expectations of, hoping the Gothenburg Great would build on Calderwood's team, but turning out to be a complete disaster due to the mismatch between his ego and the poor attitude of some of those players.

For some reason, the Alex Miller years are the ones I hate the most.  Aitken had won a cup but was a bit shit in the league.  He signed a mixture of good and crap players, all over priced.  Miller then sold those same players ridiculously cheap and signed shite as replacements.  Football that was painfully boring to watch.  That was the time it started to sink in we'd gone from a club with a reputation and qualifying regularly for Europe to a shit club in a shit league.

It will be interesting to see what Cormack does over the summer. Will any sales be given to Goodwin or will it just be used to cover the over spend and loss of income.

I believe the Paterson and McGhee eras felt worse because there was no attempt to even compete as a football club. At least under Miller we were still wasting money on shite players. Paterson especially was shafted financially.

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, RabidGiraffe said:

Patterson was a cheap appointment to manage the decline of a club saddled with massive debt in 2003/2004.  He was pish but I don't hold it against him, the club was fucked.

McGhee we had big expectations of, hoping the Gothenburg Great would build on Calderwood's team, but turning out to be a complete disaster due to the mismatch between his ego and the poor attitude of some of those players.

For some reason, the Alex Miller years are the ones I hate the most.  Aitken had won a cup but was a bit shit in the league.  He signed a mixture of good and crap players, all over priced.  Miller then sold those same players ridiculously cheap and signed shite as replacements.  Football that was painfully boring to watch.  That was the time it started to sink in we'd gone from a club with a reputation and qualifying regularly for Europe to a shit club in a shit league.

One constant through all of those shit appointments with Alex Miller being the worst of the lot.  Don't know a single person who wanted that hun cunt appointed other than that baldy hun bastard Milne

Share this post


Link to post

I have not enjoyed following the Dons this season.

Share this post


Link to post

Not getting relegated and watching the Huns lose in a European final, causing McCoist to sob openly on TV like a little bitch has, for me, elevated this to quite a good season all things considered.

More of this, please.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/17/2022 at 1:26 PM, spamspamspam said:

I've seen worse, not by much but being saved relegation by stadium was worse than this season.

We've been shite but at least we arent in a play off. 

You mean saved from a play off place out of which 2 from 3 teams would have been in the Premier League the following season?

Bad enough when fans of other teams perpetuate this myth without our own fans doing it also.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

Not getting relegated and watching the Huns lose in a European final, causing McCoist to sob openly on TV like a little bitch has, for me, elevated this to quite a good season all things considered.

More of this, please.

Far too close for comfort Kelto.  More Progres Neiderkorn with Malmo chasers for me.  Have the cunts on their erse before the windows even shut.  The other cheek bouncing down twice to the Pretendy UEFA cup is also to be considered acceptable.

Edited by strachanmcgheegoal

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, zeroisgod76 said:

You mean saved from a play off place out of which 2 from 3 teams would have been in the Premier League the following season?

Bad enough when fans of other teams perpetuate this myth without our own fans doing it also.

Saved by league reconstruction in any case. Bit of a joke to be proudly never relegated when we’ve finished bottom twice.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, huncunts said:

Saved by league reconstruction in any case. Bit of a joke to be proudly never relegated when we’ve finished bottom twice.

No, saved from a 3 team play-off because a team didn’t meet ground standards that were set out at the beginning of the season that reconstruction was taking place.

What other season did we finish bottom? 
 

Never relegated, it’s a simple fact.

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

No, saved from a 3 team play-off because a team didn’t meet ground standards that were set out at the beginning of the season that reconstruction was taking place.

What other season did we finish bottom? 
 

Never relegated, it’s a simple fact.

1916-17. There was no automatic relegation to Division Two until 1921-22 and we withdrew from the league because of travelling difficulties, then came back in Division One. 

Share this post


Link to post

Bottom line is we've never been relegated, regardless of the circumstances. 

Yay us!

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, huncunts said:

1916-17. There was no automatic relegation to Division Two until 1921-22 and we withdrew from the league because of travelling difficulties, then came back in Division One. 

Wow and we get accused about living in the past when we go on about the 1980's.

So have we ever been relegated or not?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...