Squad 2022/23

8 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Surely we can expect 1 signing by next week.

There was a poster in another forum who new the transfer gossip/facts very well.

I was expecting one before now. When we need 10 or more you'd think we'd have got cracking already. 

6 weeks to our first match.

2-3 weeks to pre-season

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

I was expecting one before now. When we need 10 or more you'd think we'd have got cracking already. 

6 weeks to our first match.

2-3 weeks to pre-season

Identifying them is 1 thing. But getting them to sign is a completely different matter. That’s why I’d of went with a manager that had a decent cv. The form we have had under Goodwin certainly won’t make it any easier to recruit. 

Papers were saying that hibs choose new manager over Jon Dahl Tomasson. That can’t be true? 

3 hours ago, slippers said:

Identifying them is 1 thing. But getting them to sign is a completely different matter. That’s why I’d of went with a manager that had a decent cv. The form we have had under Goodwin certainly won’t make it any easier to recruit. 

Papers were saying that hibs choose new manager over Jon Dahl Tomasson. That can’t be true? 

Presumably Tomasson wanted too big a salary/playing budget

Remember managers only last about 14-15 months at Hibs so they won't want to be spunking out any more on compo than they absolutely have to. So they did indeed go with Johnson

4 hours ago, slippers said:

They were saying down here that Johnson pipped Tomasson because he knew more about Scottish football... fucking 4 games for hearts and about 20 games for killie ?

Pains me to say it but i think we've entered a period of prolonged transition. Goodwin was a panic appointment, having sacked Glass the club should have taken the time to find the right man. Instead we went for an uninspired SPL selection who had no track record of success or attractive football.

He's come in and blown the squad apart. It needed doing, but not in the fashion he did it. By his own admission players leaving weren't invested in our final games of the season. And even those staying, how tuned in would they have been given they'd seen their mates shown the door?

Huge numbers have left and those numbers are likely to increase between assets leaving to boost the coffers and unwanted contracted players moving on.

The result is a huge influx of players is required. They'll take time to bed in, not all will be secured in the summer window and not all will be a success. Add to which the names we're being linked with are somewhat less than inspiring.

Goodwin's stated ambitions are lower than Glass. He's been tasked with taking us back to close to, but not quite where we were a couple of seasons back. Doesn't exactly get the loins quivering.

I see us signing a combination of Goodwin (likely ex-St Mirren) journeymen and club targeted starlets who've been identified with a view to resale profit. We'll kick around mid-table for the next couple of seasons, an improvement on this year. Fail miserably in the Cups and two years from now we'll thank Jim for his efforts and part company

The only thing he has in his favour right now is that outwith the cheeks, the League is as bad as we've ever known it. So a semi competent manager with a half way decent budget should be able to far exceed my low expectations.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Goodwin will not last 2 years if results don’t improve. Imo he’s already up against it due to his start. Unless there’s significant progress he will be sacked before Christmas. 

Personally I’d sack him now and bring in the ex malmo manager who was linked with hibs.

8 hours ago, RUL said:

Goodwin will not last 2 years if results don’t improve. Imo he’s already up against it due to his start. Unless there’s significant progress he will be sacked before Christmas. 

Personally I’d sack him now and bring in the ex malmo manager who was linked with hibs.

I’m also of this opinion. Absolutely laughable appointment really. To get it so wrong last time then appoint him is just disgraceful in all honesty. The only hope we have is if we have an incredible summer window. Goodwin already seems to be backtracking on claims he made a few weeks back about transfers. 

• Like 1