Wildlife

Dad

Just now, Sooper-hanz said:

I bought two wee fish for ours and the cat next door ate them.

Mrs was fucking raging. Me? Not at all. 

Nature innit?

Yeah I thought about fish but I don't want the responsibility of that

I also can't stand even just the sight of fish 

Minging 

Been looking into crayfish to add into it though, that would be cool

9 hours ago, Millertime said:

Haha thats not enough info

Built your own?

How many?

What size?

What plants you go for?

What wildlife you got in them?

Best one I made was right in the middle of garden, so away from any trees. Extended some guttering from the shed so had a lovely waterfall effect when it rained. Helped top up level and oxygenation. I had a swamp bit too at a slightly lower level so excess water would run off it. 

Got a few tubs of water from a pals pond to kick-start the biodiversity stuff. And upside down turf round the edges to hide any bits of liner.

Also got one of those solar water fountain things but it was garbage.

And obviously no fish in a wildlife pond. Although we had a pond when I was a kid, stuck 2 goldfish in, and they lived for years with no help at all

6 minutes ago, Bournemouth Gee said:

Best one I made was right in the middle of garden, so away from any trees. Extended some guttering from the shed so had a lovely waterfall effect when it rained. Helped top up level and oxygenation. I had a swamp bit too at a slightly lower level so excess water would run off it. 

Got a few tubs of water from a pals pond to kick-start the biodiversity stuff. And upside down turf round the edges to hide any bits of liner.

Also got one of those solar water fountain things but it was garbage.

And obviously no fish in a wildlife pond. Although we had a pond when I was a kid, stuck 2 goldfish in, and they lived for years with no help at all

Lovely

Yeah I got a solar powered fountain off amazon which surprisingly, works and as you say is good for aeration

Found out though that frogs prefer still water, so will be putting it in the new bigger one

It's absolutely amazing how quickly it becomes "naturalised "

I added plants, obviously, the tadpoles, a few water snails and daphnea to control the algae. But everything has multiplied within just a few months

Got another big massive frog that's made it it's home too

Love the croaking noises you hear!

On 6/2/2022 at 11:05 AM, Dad said:

Aye - cagey wee bastard our resident woodpecker, 'Woody'... getting a bitty more brazen as time goes on but - he's made the hung fatballs his own ? 

I'm just guessing he's a he btw...I'll double check on the rspb site. 

And no, no yet - be next year afore USA: phase 2 is underway.

Cunto, you started this thread and you're contributing fuck all.