81 -86 v 88-93

24 minutes ago, thurso said:

I didn’t start getting to games until 87/88 so didn’t have the pleasure of seeing the first group so I’d have to say the second group by default.

The ones who seen the 81-86 team were lucky bastards 

Nae so much lucky min but ceratinly privileged.  Yeh canna control fan yeh were born but yeah, them days were somethin' else. 

As were the days a decade before in the Beachend, before seatin' and crowd segregation.  Just fuckin' awesome, dangerous at times but fuckin' awesome.  Aye, I'm an auld cunt.

Guest milne_afc

The 60s and 70s must have been a hoot when the old firm would come up and stay for the weekend. The council should reintroduce that to rescue the ailing economy and get the shithole town centre tarted up a bit. Most of the town centre pubs are hun dominated or sympathisers anyway.

1 hour ago, milne_afc said:

The 60s and 70s must have been a hoot when the old firm would come up and stay for the weekend. The council should reintroduce that to rescue the ailing economy and get the shithole town centre tarted up a bit. Most of the town centre pubs are hun dominated or sympathisers anyway.

It was fuckin' mental at times.  Hearts and to a lesser extent Hibs had fair crews in their day too.  Battles in the Beachend, all kinds o' stuff gettin' lobbed about there.  Runnin' battles across the Broadhill, Boulevard, Park Road, toon center, Bus and Railway stations.  Even once saw a cop (a Special if I recall) after a game strollin' doon Links Road leisurely as fuck just punchin' folk at random.  Funny as fuck too.

I started going to the fitba in about 86.First game I think was Motherwell, won tickets in a competition at Fine Fare I think.

Obviously didna see the earlier lot, and due to location, spent most of my life biding outside Aberdeen, didna go to a heap of games.

Would have loved to have seen a fit McDougall, and imagine what he would’ve gone on to achieve in the game if he hadn’t had to retire.A fit Frank McDougall would surely have scored more than Joey Harper if he’d stayed at Aberdeen.

9 hours ago, Zeus said:

In all seriousness however, started going properly in 1992 so only remember Jess (best player Iver ever seen), Mixu and Shearer. Those 3 would win us the league by a considerable distance these days.

Don't remember much of Mason and Gilhaus while actually going - obviously from highlights and clips over the years are brilliant footballers

Lovely to have some nostalgia but if we had Jess, Mixu & Shearer right now we really don’t win the league by a distance. At best we are 3rd, miles away from 2nd. Pretty boring but fine to imagine otherwise isn’t it 

14 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Lovely to have some nostalgia but if we had Jess, Mixu & Shearer right now we really don’t win the league by a distance. At best we are 3rd, miles away from 2nd. Pretty boring but fine to imagine otherwise isn’t it 

NO

Guest milne_afc
17 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

We win the league. The standard is so bad compared with 30 years ago.

Just adding Winnie, Kane and VDA would probably guarantee silverware.

12 minutes ago, Zeus said:

NO

8 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

We win the league. The standard is so bad compared with 30 years ago.

Just adding Winnie, Kane and VDA would probably guarantee silverware.

It’s a truly lovely thought and the nostalgia is strong for me too but those 3 + our current team gets us nowhere near rangers and Celtic. Mixu paatelinen? Good een. Sold him to a Bolton in the first division when the EPL wasn’t even as strong as it is now then he ended up at Hibs in the first division. Shearer got 7 caps for Scotland and peaked with us. 

basically those 3 would maybe have as close to being as good as a mcinnes team at best ? (with the rest of the team being made up of the current losers) 

19 hours ago, El Pacino said:

I often wonder what Jess could have gone on to had he not had those horrendous injuries.

What injuries? He had a broken leg which kept him out for a few months in 92-93 and that was it as far as long term injuries as far as I can remember.

His biggest mistake was joining Coventry and then coming back to Aberdeen when we were on the slide. Had he gone to the Serie A when he had the chance I reckon he'd have kicked on and become even better.

46 minutes ago, Zeus said:

^Part of the problem with Scottish fitba

Terrible attitude 

92-93 wouldn't lose a game all season 

He didn't say the whole team though, he said Booth, Paatelainen and Shearer into last season's side. And he's right, we'd have been third at best because we would still have been shit at the back.

The whole of the 92-93 team would absolutely have been challenging for the title.

How does the McInnes era attacking threat compare to the two periods mentioned... (I'm too young to remember the early 80s, but grew up with the early 90s - Jess, Booth, Shearer etc)...

To compare, the 5 would likely be... McGinn, Hayes, Rooney, McLean, Christie

I'm thinking that as good as they were, none of them would get in the early 90s team... 

Jess was my favourite player growing up - I seem to remember that he was breaking through around the same time as Ryan Giggs was down south, and there were comparisons between the two wonderkids... shame that Jess never really reached the heights he probably should have with his talent.

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

^Part of the problem with Scottish fitba

Terrible attitude 

92-93 wouldn't lose a game all season 

That’s not what you said though. You have said the below team would win the Scottish premiership by CONSIDERABLE DISTANCE 

lewis

ramsay bates Gallagher mckenzie

Barron ferguson mccrorie

paatelainen shearer jess

7 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

That’s not what you said though. You have said the below team would win the Scottish premiership by CONSIDERABLE DISTANCE 

lewis

ramsay bates Gallagher mckenzie

Barron ferguson mccrorie

paatelainen shearer jess

Front 3 would score about 150 goals.

PLEASE CALM DOWN.

• Haha 1
On 6/3/2022 at 9:33 PM, Ten Caat said:

Jess for me would only have taken Hewitt's place on the bench.

However I'm perfectly content with the way history actually panned out

Jess was technically gifted but nowhere near mentally strong enough for a peak Fergie side. I'd rather have Simmie in any team than Jess. 

As decent a player as he was, I feel desperately sorry for any Dons' fan who feels that Jess is the best Aberdeen player they've ever seen. 

Guest milne_afc
1 minute ago, Schapenneuker said:

Jess was technically gifted but nowhere near mentally strong enough for a peak Fergie side. I'd rather have Simmie in any team than Jess. 

None of them would have been, without Fergie. Jess had it in him to step up and would have had a hat trick against Real Madrid 

Good thread. I'm too young to remember the first era (I started going to games in 1988 when Smith/Scott were co-managers) but the second had some fantastic teams, which played some of the best football in our history.

What immediately springs to mind is not only the infamous 1991 nearly men, but Miller's first two seasons, where we first pushed the Huns all the way as runner's up in all three competitions (people said at the time that, if not for Andy Goram, we'd have battered them and won the league and possibly at least one of the cups as well) and then got another second place in the league, but with the most away wins in Europe and were within a whisker of knocking Torino (then one of the top sides in Italy) out of Europe, being ahead in both legs.

Oh, how times have changed, but I'm thankful I saw some fabulous football, hampered only by cheating Masonry. 

I sometimes think I'm the unluckiest Aberdeen fan in existence. I started following AFC at the start of the 1990/91 season, 3 months after our last Scottish Cup win and at the end of the 80s decade of success. What followed was, as we're all acutely aware, a relentless downward spiral of misery to where we are now, albeit lulled into a brief period of optimistic joy in said first season as we took it right to the final game at Ibrox. Those Hateley goals, and the 5-0 aberration at St Johnstone that season, killed me. They still do.

Willie Miller's close-but-no-cigar couple of seasons immediately following were good n'all, and I remember excitedly refreshing Ceefax and Teletext after school each day, with the "Aberdeen Sign Mixu Paatelainen For £400k" headline still seared on my mind's eye, but in the blink of another eye we were in a relegation play off with fucking Dunfermline just 4 short years on. Ffs. Despite Mixu, Shearer, Rico, Jess, Booth et al.

I found myself reminiscing about our 7-0 away win at Dens circa 2017 the other day. McInnes has his detractors on here, and yes it all went to shit under him in the end, but fucking hell how far we've fallen ever since then. But anyway, onwards and...errr...upwards, Mon Jim ?

My first season at Pittodrie was 77-78 under Billy McNeill but my first real memory was Ally McLeod's team winning the league cup which was the trigger for wanting to go to games. 

We were spoiled as kids really from the age of 7 up to 16. Felt like we won the  Scottish Cup every year when I was in secondary school.  Getting the bus down to Hampden for the cup final was an annual ritual. 

• Upvote 2