4 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

No - you move on to the next player identified. However you cut this, the only beneficiary is timbo

What if the player we wanted, we can’t get until Jan, or next Summer? 
What if there was nobody else in our price range available that we wanted? 
Would you rather go into the season with Gallagher and Bates? 

5 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

No - you move on to the next player identified. However you cut this, the only beneficiary is timbo

Assuming there is no option to buy, you’re right.

One of two things happens if he plays well.

- He goes in to the Celtic team next season 

- He still isn’t in Postecoglu’s plans, & the Tims sell him to a Championship club for a fee way beyond us.

I’m pretty sure we’d have asked to buy him now or at least have the option to do so next summer, but the Tims refused.

That being the case, the question is should we have not gone for another option? 

Just now, frankie_mac's_4 said:

You identify players you can get - it's what Mowbray, Gunn and Goodwin are paid to do

And if the only players available are shite, or out of our price range, or we want, but need to wait to get?

Folk need to remember that we were dogshit last season, and that we aren’t a hugely attractive prospect at the mo, 10th in the league and not even a few games in Europe to lure anyone in with.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

He's very much the player we wanted. Goodwin's got his man. His comments make this clear and strongly suggest he sees Scales as integral to the team for the season ahead.

Liam is a player that I have been trying to get for the last couple of years,” said the Dons boss on his third summer arrival.

He added: “I watched him very closely during his time at Shamrock Rovers, unfortunately I couldn’t get a deal done.

“Liam is 23-years-old and has already amassed nearly 200 appearances in senior football. He’s a strong character with a winning mentality, who will no doubt be a great addition to the squad.

“He is coming in as a left sided centre half, which is the position I saw him play regularly for Shamrock Rovers, and the one we believe is his best position.

“He is aggressive, mobile, very comfortable on the ball and he has all the qualities you would want in a modern-day centre back.”

Just now, JamieMT said:

He's very much the player we wanted. Goodwin's got his man. His comments make this clear and strongly suggest he sees Scales as integral to the team for the season ahead.

Liam is a player that I have been trying to get for the last couple of years,” said the Dons boss on his third summer arrival.

He added: “I watched him very closely during his time at Shamrock Rovers, unfortunately I couldn’t get a deal done.

“Liam is 23-years-old and has already amassed nearly 200 appearances in senior football. He’s a strong character with a winning mentality, who will no doubt be a great addition to the squad.

“He is coming in as a left sided centre half, which is the position I saw him play regularly for Shamrock Rovers, and the one we believe is his best position.

“He is aggressive, mobile, very comfortable on the ball and he has all the qualities you would want in a modern-day centre back.”

So then we’ve taken a gamble, but with benefits if he’s good
The downside being if he’s that good, we don’t have the option to buy, and they get a better player back, but we do get a decent  centre half for a season.

I’d rather be taking the risk than potentially starting the season with Gallagher & Bates as our centre half pairing.

11 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

And if the only players available are shite, or out of our price range, or we want, but need to wait to get?

Folk need to remember that we were dogshit last season, and that we aren’t a hugely attractive prospect at the mo, 10th in the league and not even a few games in Europe to lure anyone in with.

It's one of the biggest professional clubs in the country, with one of the biggest budgets - money talks.

I dinna think its a stretch to expect them to be able to identify the realistic potential signings and approach them in order of preference, without developing and paying the wages of another club's player for no net benefit

1 hour ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Our club is a joke. Our 'exciting' new signing won't even be able to play in the opening league match of the season. Don't know who thought this was a good decision but they can get to fuck.

Hiya Mr Negative. 

Know you'd be over the moon having the chance to nail your colours to the mast again. 

????

5 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

I don't think you are right on this one. I believe that the left Centre back he wanted and thought was coming changed his mind and Liam was our next best option in his opinion.

I understand its frustrating that he cant play against them but if he is as good as JG thinks he is, he will be miles better than the other central defenders we have so I will accept having him available for all the other games.

For me it all depends on how good he actually proves to be. I would rather he has a storming season and we benefit from that rather than have 2 shite centre halves like last season playing every week. And i would also rather he has a good season than have him be shite like Montgomery was. 

• Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

If he is an improvement on Bates & Gallagher I’ve no problem with it.Yes, it’s frustrating that we are developing him for Celtic, and that he can’t play against them, but if he’s better than the calamity twins at the back and makes us more solid, then it’s more positive then negative.

We won't be developing him for Celtic. He's not going to break into their team as a mainstay. Limited squad player at best.

If he doesn't sign for us after the loan it'll be elsewhere. Either way if he helps shore up a horrendous defence it's a good signing.

5 minutes ago, frankie_mac's_4 said:

It's one of the biggest professional clubs in the country, with one of the biggest budgets - money talks.

I dinna think its a stretch to expect them to be able to identify the realistic potential signings and approach them in order of preference, without developing and paying the wages of another club's player for no net gain

I don’t disagree, up to a point, but if we are looking at similar players to the likes of say Hearts etc, then will we be paying more than them in wages?Given they will have European cash with which to budget, then I’d argue they could pay more, and Edinburgh a much nicer place to be than Aberdeen.

We’ve also just replaced a manager that didn’t last a season, with a manager that couldn’t get a tune out of the the team at the back end of the season.We’re hardly an exciting prospect at the mo.

Of course, if Scales turns out to be a donkey, then we’ve gambled and lost.If he is better than the comedy duo we have at the moment, then we gain a half decent centre back for a season, albeit he’s unlikely to be here next season, and we’re potentially in the same boat again.

I’d much rather we signed him on a permanent deal, but it obviously wasn’t an option.

9 minutes ago, Broken_Glass said:

Hiya Mr Negative. 

Know you'd be over the moon having the chance to nail your colours to the mast again. 

????

Please tell me you’re not actually happy about taking another player on loan from Celtic? ???? You’ve gone from hating everything about the club when Glass was manager to being the ultimate Happy Clapper ????

39 minutes ago, Helmet said:

Gutted this is a loan signing and even worse form a team in the same league.

We can't win with these and just shouldn't have bothered if Celtic didn't want to sell him.

If I'm optimistic maybe we'll sign another lefty CB and Scales will be there to provide competition to McKenzie and the new lefty CB. But I doubt that's the plan.

If the other new lefty centre half is Charles dunne we are just as fucked 

5 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

Of course, if Scales turns out to be a donkey, then we’ve gambled and lost.If he is better than the comedy duo we have at the moment, then we gain a half decent centre back for a season, albeit he’s unlikely to be here next season, and we’re potentially in the same boat again.

I’d much rather we signed him on a permanent deal, but it obviously wasn’t an option.

So it'll either be the loan of a shite player or we're back where we were a year later no further on after paying his wages (which could have covered a permanent signing's wages for the year). If Bates and / or Gallagher are in need of replacement, replace them permanently. Again that's the football department's function.

Option to buy may be on, we don't know- the details are conspicuous by their absence IYAM

37 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Not sure what to make of these deals. 

celtic are not remotely our rivals at the moment. 

Ryan Christie’s 18 month spell at Aberdeen can’t be described as unsuccessful. 

just a bit shite when you go to play Celtic but can’t play him…. If he’s any good. Unlike Montgomery 

Huns aren’t remotely our rivals either, so should we just sign as many players as we can from both clubs as we cannot compete with them anyway & just become a feeder/development club for them both.

Gift them both 12 points each & not bother playing them if we draw them in cups?

Sorry but there is absolutely zero justification for signing players on loan from ANY clubs in same league as us without (at very least) an option to buy in next window.

I fkn detest us doing this in any circumstances. No matter how pathetically some bend over to excuse it.

We had better be signing at least one more (first 11) CH as going with the shite we had last season in all games v Celtic this season is totally unacceptable. JG can fk off now if he is planning this small team mentality 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

I don't think you are right on this one. I believe that the left Centre back he wanted and thought was coming changed his mind and Liam was our next best option in his opinion.

I understand its frustrating that he cant play against them but if he is as good as JG thinks he is, he will be miles better than the other central defenders we have so I will accept having him available for all the other games.

For me it all depends on how good he actually proves to be. I would rather he has a storming season and we benefit from that rather than have 2 shite centre halves like last season playing every week. And i would also rather he has a good season than have him be shite like Montgomery was. 

This , with bells on

46 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

Then we loan someone in that position who won't cripple our defence if he's half decent in matches that could define our chance to win something. We should be trying to win silverware and expect to have to beat the ugly sisters - if we build our defence with him in it we'll lose him for any match against the tims in the cup (which if it happens is likely to be a defining match of our season). It avoids the Raith Rovers to give us another Hampden thumping - it is the epitome of lazy recruiting this early into the window. Deeply disappointed in the ambition that this portrays. 

1 hour ago, YorkDon said:

Why then give him no 4? If he is a stop gap give him 367 ???

My opinion is this is lose lose for us and win win for celtic

not quite there but could be …. Loan him Aberdeen  

Celtic pov

Two outcomes. He is ok we take him back he is shite we let him go. 

aberdeenn outcome

he is good. Few points but if a central defender is key to points there are bigger worries and no sign next year

he is bad. We have to pay him all year and no way we want to take him on

we can’t win from this - simple example Ryan Christie.  Left a big hole in our team walked into Celtic when he would have been out the door if crap for us 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Because he's here for the whole season and he's here to start most games I'd guess. 

Shirt numbers mean very little these days though unless you're an elite player who uses them to boost their own ego or bank balance. 

But York don’t had him as a stopgap till the player we wanted came available.  Whatever your thoughts giving him no 4 made him a main player in many peoples eyes. I’m sure he needs both ego boost and bank balance increase. So that ain’t it.  

not a fan of this I have to say. We can only lose where Celtic can win or lose

Just now, Bamber said:

But York don’t had him as a stopgap till the player we wanted came available.  Whatever your thoughts giving him no 4 made him a main player in many peoples eyes. I’m sure he needs both ego boost and bank balance increase. So that ain’t it.  

not a fan of this I have to say. We can only lose where Celtic can win or lose

It's a number for the season. Squad numbers get changed every summer. 

This is a strange thing to get annoyed about in the big scheme of things regarding this transfer. 

1 hour ago, YorkDon said:

Yes agree with this to an extent.

Its a bit depressing but right now we have about 14 players and several of those wouldn't be here if we were not so thin on the ground/their contracts cost too much to pay up.

Goodwins first objective is to get a better starting 11 on the pitch each week and get us back up at the top end of the table, talk of us needing to have players to challenge Celtic or Rangers is a bit premature when we are in coming from such a poor position right now.

8 minutes ago, redcryptoknight said:

Perhaps the thinking is that once he's through the door it will be easier to hold on to him.

Just speculating, but if Starfelt makes a full recovery and soon, the chances of a perm deal might increase.

Someone hit the nail on the head earlier- if the lad is on a 4 year deal at Celtic and getting paid twice what we would offer and maybe fancies his chances of breaking through at the Tim's eventually- why would he even want to move on a permie?

He'd be smarter to get loaned out a couple of seasons yet if he has to.