Anthony Stewart

8 minutes ago, Shev said:

Wycombe fan here. You are getting a piece of our soul in Stewart. Absolutely beloved at the club, and has gone through all the ups and downs of a rollercoaster decade or so with us. His playoff final performance against Oxford a couple of years back is so legendary even their fans still talk about it!

Here is his exit interview. Good luck to you, and I hope he does well. I'll be following Aberdeen's results with interest, as will many other Wycombe fans. 

Wycombe Wanderers on Twitter: ""Thank you from the bottom of my heart." @A_Stewart_5 was at Marlow Road today to say his goodbyes before heading north for his next adventure with @AberdeenFC. #Chairboys https://t.co/0yqI0zPDew" / Twitter

Comes across as a nice guy. Clearly has an affinity for the club and vice versa. I'll hold my hands up and say i wasn't exactly blown away by Stewart signing, but that's probably through ignorance on my part. However the universal acclaim from Wycombe fans on his departure speaks volumes. Looking forward to seeing him in a Dons shirt.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Shev said:

Wycombe fan here. You are getting a piece of our soul in Stewart. Absolutely beloved at the club, and has gone through all the ups and downs of a rollercoaster decade or so with us. His playoff final performance against Oxford a couple of years back is so legendary even their fans still talk about it!

Here is his exit interview. Good luck to you, and I hope he does well. I'll be following Aberdeen's results with interest, as will many other Wycombe fans. 

Wycombe Wanderers on Twitter: ""Thank you from the bottom of my heart." @A_Stewart_5 was at Marlow Road today to say his goodbyes before heading north for his next adventure with @AberdeenFC. #Chairboys https://t.co/0yqI0zPDew" / Twitter

Wanna buy a t shirt?

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

Comes across as a nice guy. Clearly has an affinity for the club and vice versa. I'll hold my hands up and say i wasn't exactly blown away by Stewart signing, but that's probably through ignorance on my part. However the universal acclaim from Wycombe fans on his departure speaks volumes. Looking forward to seeing him in a Dons shirt.

To be fair, it really all depends on exactly where Aberdeen would slot in quality wise to the English pyramid, or where Wycombe would slot in up in Scotland. I don't want to overinflate our standard out of bias. I will say that he was at home in the Championship once we found our feet a little after a terrible start, and I very much hope he does well for you. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, JamieMT said:

Wait until he comes across some of these Aberdeen slagging off supporters, waiting to pounce on him when  he makes his first mistake,  he will wish he stayed in Wycombe. 

10 hours ago, Shev said:

He seems a happy guy... we'll soon fix that.

• Haha 1

New signing Anthony Stewart vows to

bring clean sheets back to AFC Chat

Excellent news!

New signing Anthony Stewart insists he will bring clean sheets to the renowned AFC forum and a defensive ‘edge’ to Aberdeen FC.

Centre-back Stewart has joined the Dons on a two-year contract from League One Wycombe Wanderers.

Aberdeen’s leaky defence registered just six clean sheets in 47 games in all competitions last season.

Experienced defender Stewart insists he has joined the Dons to help change that.

The 29-year-old stopper jetted out to Spain for the Reds’ week-long warm weather training camp on the Costa Blanca.

spacer.png

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/4468287/new-signing-anthony-stewart-vows-to-bring-clean-sheets-back-to-aberdeen/

4 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Stewart saying we approached him 3 weeks ago?

A bit later than you might expect for a Bosman free transfer? 

Maybe was still considering offer from Wycombe?

Their playoff final loss was May 21st so give a few weeks for him to enjoy time off etc would make sense.

We'd maybe approached his agent before hand and he didn't bring it to Stewart until start of June? 

1 hour ago, Bamber said:

Pushing towards being captain?

speaks well, respected by fans and professionals at previous club. Right age right words coming out from him and Goodwin

personally don’t see better in current or predicted ranks

Maybe but he's coming into a totally new team playing, for him in a totally new country in a a league where he's absolutely untried. Of course it would be great if he flourishes but there have been plenty bigger names and better players that have come up from England expecting to stroll it and found they couldn't hack it in Scotland. Making him captain and then finding out he's not good enough to command a regular starting spot would be a bad look all round. I think for now it's best just to let him find his feet.

Foreby that, Lewis still has his contract where it's written in that he's captain. They got round it last season with Brown by making Lewis "club captain" and Brown "team captain" but I don't see Lewis taking too kindly to that happening again. If Roos supplants him as first choice then it's academic...we would need someone to take on the role. It might be a case of taking a deep breath and holding our noses but the only obvious candidate sadly is McCrorie (on the assumption that Ferguson gets his move)

1 hour ago, Bamber said:

speaks well, respected by fans and professionals at previous club. Right age right words coming out from him and Goodwin

Gets my vote, but then again anyone gets my vote if it keeps it off that useless hun bastard McRorie. 

3 hours ago, Bamber said:

Interestingly when you read some of the comments on their fans forum they say he’s ‘great to have around’ but don’t think he’s captain material. 

15 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Maybe but he's coming into a totally new team playing, for him in a totally new country in a a league where he's absolutely untried. Of course it would be great if he flourishes but there have been plenty bigger names and better players that have come up from England expecting to stroll it and found they couldn't hack it in Scotland. Making him captain and then finding out he's not good enough to command a regular starting spot would be a bad look all round. I think for now it's best just to let him find his feet.

Foreby that, Lewis still has his contract where it's written in that he's captain. They got round it last season with Brown by making Lewis "club captain" and Brown "team captain" but I don't see Lewis taking too kindly to that happening again. If Roos supplants him as first choice then it's academic...we would need someone to take on the role. It might be a case of taking a deep breath and holding our noses but the only obvious candidate sadly is McCrorie (on the assumption that Ferguson gets his move)

Surely being captain isn't written into a contract. That's just stupid.

6 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Surely being captain isn't written into a contract. That's just stupid.

Aye, I'm dubious about that too.  I can see there might be something in the contract about some sort of bonus or  increase in basic pay if he's appointed captain.

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, Bamber said:

Fans on the Wycombe forum were of the opinion he's not a vocal leader.

Don't think he was Wycombe captain at any point so not sure he's really got the personality for that.

18 minutes ago, redone said:

Maybe Ten Caat's got a contact at the Registers of Scotland who tips him off whenever any fitba contract is submitted for registration or even just sends him a copy.

Or knows the guy who has the job at the SFA of registering players (and quietly turning a blind eye to Rangers side contracts).