Skrewdriver

What are people opinions on this controversial punk band?

As I understand it, they started out as a non-political punk band, then split, then later 2 of the original members reformed the band with new people and became associated with the far right / neo-nazism (which is obviously completely indefensible).

Unfortunately the reformed band kept the same name "Skrewdriver".

The early work is (imo) an excellent canon of punk music (see you tube link below).

I really enjoy these early singles - should it matter that 2 of the 4 original members went on to become involved in unacceptable politics?  Is it risky* or misleading to listen to this early work?  Most people would probably recoil at the name "skrewdriver" understandably, and the situation is probably too nuanced for the typical antifa moron to grasp.

*every so often there is a youtube comment from someone complaining (or boasting!) they got punched for listening to this, or for having a Skrewdriver T-shirt lol.

Thoughts?

The stand out tracks here are 'Antisocial' and 'Back with a Bang'.  (the latter is in interesting, in terms of complaining about their portrayal in the press etc and you wonder if this was the start of the radicalisation of some of the members).

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
4 hours ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

What are people opinions on this controversial punk band?

As I understand it, they started out as a non-political punk band, then split, then later 2 of the original members reformed the band with new people and became associated with the far right / neo-nazism (which is obviously completely indefensible).

Unfortunately the reformed band kept the same name "Skrewdriver".

The early work is (imo) an excellent canon of punk music (see you tube link below).

I really enjoy these early singles - should it matter that 2 of the 4 original members went on to become involved in unacceptable politics?  Is it risky* or misleading to listen to this early work?  Most people would probably recoil at the name "skrewdriver" understandably, and the situation is probably too nuanced for the typical antifa moron to grasp.

*every so often there is a youtube comment from someone complaining (or boasting!) they got punched for listening to this, or for having a Skrewdriver T-shirt lol.

Thoughts?

The stand out tracks here are 'Antisocial' and 'Back with a Bang'.  (the latter is in interesting, in terms of complaining about their portrayal in the press etc and you wonder if this was the start of the radicalisation of some of the members).

Don't care but good shit that. 

Sounds like Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod. 

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
39 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Tis good indeed.

I will check out this Ministry you speak of - not heard of them before.    If Jesus built it, it must be good.

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
19 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Its alright - reminds me of thrash metal with its speed.  Lacks the aggression of Skrewdriver, but i've heard worse!

The Skrewdriver guys sound like they are dying in their lives and who cares?  The Ministry guys sound like they are already living fucked up lives and want motherfuckers to know about it. 

Team Skrewdriver for me.  

Skrewdriver were a bunch o' cunts and that fucker Ian Stuart Donaldson was a horrible bastard too.  Fuckin' whiter as well, the fuckin antethesis of what he preached.

Fae a Skinhead pont of view I canna be fucked with all that Blood and Honor, Neo-Nazi, NF, RAC (albeit I do hate communism) etc etc shite.  It wasn't what it was all about.  Media jumped on it and the stigma stuck.  Fuck em!!!!

19 hours ago, Beachend Bootboy said:

Skrewdriver were a bunch o' cunts and that fucker Ian Stuart Donaldson was a horrible bastard too.  Fuckin' whiter as well, the fuckin antethesis of what he preached.

Fae a Skinhead pont of view I canna be fucked with all that Blood and Honor, Neo-Nazi, NF, RAC (albeit I do hate communism) etc etc shite.  It wasn't what it was all about.  Media jumped on it and the stigma stuck.  Fuck em!!!!

On 7/8/2022 at 5:21 PM, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

Don't care but good shit that. 

Sounds like Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod. 

That sounds fuck all like Ministry by the way, butthole surfers maybe but ministry erm nah