Stirling Albion 0 - 5 Aberdeen

45 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Easy to laugh in hindsight ? but that was said after their draw

Raith drew with them & Raith pumped Peterhead 6-0

Are you so desperate for attention you went looking for that post ?

Easy to laugh in hindsight. You're talking about a league 2 part time pub team ya plum

• Upvote 3
14 minutes ago, Daisy1903 said:

Easy to laugh in hindsight. You're talking about a league 2 part time pub team ya plum

That drew with the side that knocked us out last year yeah. Drew with same side that pumped Peterhead 6-0 after we beat them 2-0 so yes it was a fair assumption to think they would be a bigger test than they turned out to be in hindsight 

8 hours ago, Shinniesta said:

It's early days and it was only Stirling Albion..

I keep saying this to myself to tame the optimism, but at the same time, in any other season we'd have scuffed through a couple of these games 2-1 by now while looking nowhere near as composed and professional.

Colour me excited.

15 minutes ago, 20two20 said:

I keep saying this to myself to tame the optimism, but at the same time, in any other season we'd have scuffed through a couple of these games 2-1 by now while looking nowhere near as composed and professional.

Colour me excited.

We did start off well last season before it all went tits up. 

The miserable Aberdonian in me is hanging fire on the optimism until we start playing some decent teams. I'm especially interested to see how we react when we go a goal down in a game. 

I'm happy we've got Raith Rovers this weekend, because on paper this will be a much better challenge for us before we go to the Tattiedome. We should win, but it's doubtful if it'll be the same kind of shootie-in that we had last night. 

We need to be challenged before we can judge how good these players are. 

• Upvote 2
40 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

We did start off well last season before it all went tits up....

We need to be challenged before we can judge how good these players are. 

Good post.

I remember us being amazing in the BK Hacken game at home, otherwise we looked promising in flashes but never quite seemed to pull all the elements together. We seemed flimsy in defense even when we were winning. 

This team looks a bit more solid, albeit against lower league opposition. As you point out, the real test is yet to come.

17 minutes ago, redcryptoknight said:

Good post.

I remember us being amazing in the BK Hacken game at home, otherwise we looked promising in flashes but never quite seemed to pull all the elements together. We seemed flimsy in defense even when we were winning. 

This team looks a bit more solid, albeit against lower league opposition. As you point out, the real test is yet to come.

You mean Stirling Albion wasn't the test? ?

• Haha 1

Not sure about all the revisionism around us starting last season so well.

We deservedly lost our second game of the season to Hacken.

We kept about one clean sheet in the first 10 games of the season.

We blew our best ever chance of the group stages

bla bla

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Not sure about all the revisionism around us starting last season so well.

We deservedly lost our second game of the season to Hacken.

We kept about one clean sheet in the first 10 games of the season.

We blew our best ever chance of the group stages

bla bla

And Hacken finished 12th of 16 in their league 

18 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

And Hacken finished 12th of 16 in their league 

Cormack saying on radio we beat 'a top Swedish team twice', when regardless of their quality we actually lost the second leg and looked in serious danger of losing the 4 goal aggregate lead till their red card, was fucking mental. 

1 hour ago, redcryptoknight said:

Good post.

We conceded 3 goals vs Hacken over the 2 legs. We then conceded another 3 goals vs the Icelandic lot.  

Over 6 games in Europe last season we conceded 10 goals. 

The warning signs were there very early on, but because we were scoring a few goals, it was just "we'll score more than our opposition". Which is fine when you're up against shit where its easier to score goals, but if you're also conceding vs shit, thats a worry.

This season we've played 3 games and conceded 0, so its an improvement so far. Not saying those 3 sides were the same quality as the teams we played in Europe, but Hacken were no better than Championship level and we lost 2-0 against them. 

5 hours ago, redstrummer said:

We need to get Scales signed up and build our defence around this guy . Excellent player and just what we need . He could easily cut it in the championship though 

Do you mean that if they decided to sell him a championship team might try to step in and nick him? I think that's very possible if he continues to play well till January. Fingers crossed they change their mind before the close of this window.

1 hour ago, StandFree1982 said:

We conceded 3 goals vs Hacken over the 2 legs. We then conceded another 3 goals vs the Icelandic lot.  

The warning signs were there very early on, but because we were scoring a few goals, it was just "we'll score more than our opposition". Which is fine when you're up against shit where its easier to score goals, but if you're also conceding vs shit, thats a worry.

This season we've played 3 games and conceded 0, so its an improvement so far. Not saying those 3 sides were the same quality as the teams we played in Europe, but Hacken were no better than Championship level and we lost 2-0 against them. 

Also we were pretty shit in the league at the start too. Dundee United was an ok performance but we deserved fuck all against Livi. 

Last season we did play some wonderful games no denying it BUT it was very easy to see vulnerabilities the main one being that we bombed our full backs on, on both sides with very little cover from out midfield with a massive gap between our advance midfield (and full backs) and two immobile central defenders 

It was really obvious if you broke through the midfield you had a run on two unprotected defenders

This year I dont see such a blindingly obvious weakness, they are probably there but not as obvious. I do have a worry that we have a lot of players who will want to play each week

forget the back 5, just look at this front 6 

Kennedy, Besuijen, Duk Ramirez, McCrorie and Ramadani 

Now add 

Miovski, Ronan or another? Barron, Watkins ?

Who of those first 6 drops out for the last 4 ?

Keeping Players happy will be the hard part this season I would suggest, a nice problem to have but it will be a problem

and I havent even mentioned Polvara, Bates Lewis and Hayes 

2 hours ago, StandFree1982 said:

Wasn't Glass' philosophy that it didn't matter if we conceded a bunch of goals so long as our free-flowing attacking football scored more than we were conceding?

To be fair, he had us half way towards that goal.