Celtic 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Thought we did ok considering we lost an early goal. Stewart and Rossco and The keeper were the pick of the players also thought Polvara did well for one so young. Thought Richardson and Ramadani were very disappointing and Coulson was poor defensively but due to the fact he joined this week cannot be too critical. Big plus was the fact we didn’t totally park the bus

1 minute ago, redone said:

We’ll look like we’re not having a go simply because we constantly gave up possession far too cheaply....sometimes due to Celtic’s work rate and hunting in packs , but far too often through unforced errors such as poor touch and misplaced or mishit passes. 

And , of course , on the odd occasion we made some progress up the park the ref sometimes did his bit to nip our attack in the bud by giving them a free kick for fuck all

Yes and that comes down to coaching 

Time to shit the bed will be at the end of August,  when we’ll have played 3 winnable home games and St Johnstone away. Plus I expect 3 or 4 more players to have exited by then paving the way for hopefully a similar amount in. 

Difficult to say what difference Barron and Scales would have made today; quite a bit probably so we just have to plough on, hope Goodwin can work his magic on the training ground to improve what he has and that 2 new players enter the fray sooner rather than later 

Came too early for sure. Sloppy passes when we had time. Not down hearted though could have been worse. Need to learn from our weaknesses; seemed weak defensively  on the right and need a better central defender than McCrorie. Need to be a bit braver going forward but that will hopefully come with practice and success. Won’t criticise Goodwin at this stage; would be ridiculous; team needs to work together. If we play the same in six months I might feel differently but hopeful. Let’s go on a winning run from now. 

Right chaps let’s keep the sheets dry. Just cause we’ve signed a couple players from a shite Hungarian team and a cunt from the reserve league in Portugal we aren’t going to suddenly dominate at Celtic Park. 

our main focus is the team who are signing shite like Lawrence Shankland not 5-10 million pound players. 

one step at a time with this new side. League champions next season though. 

25 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

We likely will be a high pressing team when we’re not playing teams far better than we are. If we went trying to press Celtic players all over the park we would have been utterly pumped today. 

This

Some people do think we should have a go by constantly getting forward and leaving gaps. A team that brought 8-10 million off the bench today would slaughter us

Its about balance and imo we committed players forward well when we did get up the pitch 

Well 2-0 isn't a disaster at the Paedodome. Disastrous start mind you and even with Scales back in the side I'm not looking forward to watching us defend set-pieces.

Now about to go on a run of games that will more accurately let us know our level within the league. On paper all are eminently winnable but we don't play on paper yada yada yada.

Rock bottom of the table, not an entirely unexpected outcome after this round of matches so the only way is up. 

The more I see of Duk, the more I think £400k + for him looks a huge gamble. We should be paying that sort of money for an established player who would be a regular starter and improves the team. 

Ramirez would have been the more sensible change for Miovski IMO. However, it's in keeping with JG's habit of alienating players. 

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, thurso said:

Were you happy with todays performance 

Never happy with a defeat. 

But logic told us it would be a tough afternoon with a new team that's still not rebuilt also with 2 important players missing against a team that played together for most of last season on a long unbeaten run.  Some of our players are just in the door as well and nowhere near match fit. 

Let's see what shape we're in by the time they come to Pittodrie 

4 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

This

Some people do think we should have a go by constantly getting forward and leaving gaps. A team that brought 8-10 million off the bench today would slaughter us

Its about balance and imo we committed players forward well when we did get up the pitch 

You dont have to press all over the field, but using halfway as the point at which you start closing down is not going to leave massive gaps at the back.

We've pressed like that before and done reasonably well with it. But every time we stand off we see the same result.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Time to shit the bed will be at the end of August,  when we’ll have played 3 winnable home games and St Johnstone away. Plus I expect 3 or 4 more players to have exited by then paving the way for hopefully a similar amount in. 

Difficult to say what difference Barron and Scales would have made today; quite a bit probably so we just have to plough on, hope Goodwin can work his magic on the training ground to improve what he has and that 2 new players enter the fray sooner rather than later 

It’s a pity we don’t have reserve fixtures as there are one or two who need a few games. 
Namely Duk. 
Looks really unfit. 

28 minutes ago, thurso said:

We can. We have done it before but that’s the kind of performance that mccinnes was getting slaughtered for in his last few years. 

The 2 games Iv watched us play against Celtic and sevco under him so far, plus the ones he managed st mirren against them as well 

Pretty sure Goodwin is the last manager whose beating Celtic at Parkhead.

Nearly all our players have had games apart from coulson and miovski do should be more match fit than Celtic who have only had friendlies.
I’m afraid in my book of your set up to to defend from the start with all 10 outfield players 40 yards from your goal you won’t do much. Or is Goodwin still getting a free pass now like he did end of last season. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

It’s a pity we don’t have reserve fixtures as there are one or two who need a few games. 
Namely Duk. 
Looks really unfit. 

I really hope it's just a fitness issue. Admittedly probably only seen him for about 90 mins over 3 games but he looks really raw and not a £400k signing.

This season is a massive opportunity for us to have a good decade or so. When will we next be able to spend £1.5m on transfers, and that will probably rise this summer, need majority of these signings to work out.

13 minutes ago, Hoofball said:

No as I have no reason to watch Celtic but to say the team was anything but defensive is wrong 

We were forced to defend a lot because Celtic played fast, one-touch passing football, with a fairly settled team of Championship winning million pound+ players.

That is not the same as being defensive.

39 minutes ago, AllyDon said:

I don't need to back up ny point. It was made clearly the first time.

You may not agree with it but frankly if you agree with anything then usually I find the post to be full of shite. 

Off you pop now like a good wee girl and annoy someone else.

No, I don’t agree at all. That’s why I want you to tell me which of our players weren’t trying today.

37 minutes ago, thurso said:

It was 3 points dropped at ibrox not 1 and it’s not about getting beat it was the manner of the loss we were set up to defend for a draw not go at them to win we played 90 mins and never had one shot never mind on goal 

We weren’t though. We had what, 4 attacking players start the game? We were beaten by a much better side yet if Hayes had scored that sitter people would have a completely different tune instead of this perma-depression our supporters seem to wallow in

15 minutes ago, Zorba said:

The more I see of Duk, the more I think £400k + for him looks a huge gamble. We should be paying that sort of money for an established player who would be a regular starter and improves the team. 

Ramirez would have been the more sensible change for Miovski IMO. However, it's in keeping with JG's habit of alienating players. 

Don’t see what Ramirez would have brought to it, we needed pace and physicality and Duk supposedly has that. I don’t think there any ulterior motive other than Ramirez is not the type of impact player we needed.

4 minutes ago, thurso said:

Nearly all our players have had games apart from coulson and miovski do should be more match fit than Celtic who have only had friendlies.
I’m afraid in my book of your set up to to defend from the start with all 10 outfield players 40 yards from your goal you won’t do much. Or is Goodwin still getting a free pass now like he did end of last season. 

This is ridiculously silly stuff. For the most part Celtic forced us to defend. They were sharper and faster than us.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, redcryptoknight said:

We were forced to defend a lot because Celtic played fast, one-touch passing football, with a fairly settled team of Championship winning million pound+ players.

That is not the same as being defensive.

So letting the Celtic defence have as much time and space on the ball as they wanted, first corner at 70 minutes and 31% possessions if that isn’t defensive what is it?

1 minute ago, Big Hat Logan said:

We weren’t though. We had what, 4 attacking players start the game? We were beaten by a much better side yet if Hayes had scored that sitter people would have a completely different tune instead of this perma-depression our supporters seem to wallow in

If we had our full squad we would of started with only the same 4 attacking players that doesn’t mean they couldn’t of pressed higher instead of sitting in waiting for Celtic to attack. Mccinnes did that last two years here and got slaughtered for it, Goodwin does it and gets a free pass