Celtic 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Should have been half a dozen.

Celtic played high tempo , ours was like Treacle though.

Was all wrong.

There is nothing to say their players are faster than ours.

Neither was there anything stopping us making space for each other to pass to.

At times we had space , but made poor decisions , turned back to goal or carelessly knocked it out of play.

Think the atmosphere got to our boys.

10 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Bit of a difference though McInnes playing like that a few years into his reign with a settled team that's had time to play with each other for some time compared with Goodwin going down there on the first day of the season with a team full of guys that have been assembled during the the last 3 weeks. 

You should have kept your powder dry for another weekend against inferior opposition. Sticking the boot in this weekend is just a bit too transparent. 

Fuck me it’s not as if Iv tried to hide my thoughts on Goodwin but some like you seem to be giving him a free pass after the last two had such a hard time after being given a fraction of the transfer budget.     Is it 5 games before our game against sevco how many wins do you expect in those against the lesser teams. 

• Upvote 1

If JG leads us to relegation contention in the run up to the end of the season then it'll be fair to say he's no better than Glass.

I think, like some of our new players, he'll grow into the role.

Hopefully a few of these players are the leaders we've lacked.

11 minutes ago, thurso said:

Fuck me it’s not as if Iv tried to hide my thoughts on Goodwin but some like you seem to be giving him a free pass after the last two had such a hard time after being given a fraction of the transfer budget.     Is it 5 games before our game against sevco how many wins do you expect in those against the lesser teams. 

I'd be expecting 3 or 4 wins personally but equally I wouldn't be shocked to see us be inconsistent early on while the team gels. 

You were calling for Glass to get more time in February yet you've been chasing Goodwin from the start of his reign so nae sure why you're trying to take the moral high ground 

Poor performance, but not the worst result in the world. Conceding a shambolic goal after 3 minutes,  i feared the worst. That we only shipped one more goal and that being a blinding shot from Jota i can live with.

Today was Celtic's victory parade. We've spent a bit of money and expectations are high, but they have players we could only dream of and their squad is settled too. This was our first outing against top flight opposition and it came against the Champions on their home turf.

Criticisms ...

We knew Scales couldn't play today yet we fielded a consistent back four throughout the cup games with today looming. Goodwin made a big deal (and i don't think he's wrong) of the significance of having a left footed CB playing that position. Yet opening day we have a midfielder in the role, weakening our midfield in the process.

Neither Miovski or Duk are fit. They need phased in, Ramirez should have started today or at the very least been subbed on. Prioritising Goodwin signings purely because they're his signings does neither the team nor the players any favours.

Positives ...

I thought Stewart was excellent. Gave a great account of himself and he's 100% our Captain. Coulson despite having arrived during the week and if i've heard correctly hasn't played since March, turned in a very strong display. And Matty Kennedy looked more like the player we signed than the player we've known.

Going forward ...

We need more arrivals. Our defence is weak and that's without taking into account Scales being ineligible to play against Celtic. We can't go making significant changes to the back line every time we play Celtic because of regulatory reasons. Either sign Scales in this window or move on to someone else. And if Bates is persona non grata, he needs replacing too.

Additionally we require a player with attacking, creativity in the middle of the pitch. Not a new thing by any means, but the most glaring hole in our team continues to go unaddressed.

Down the stretch ...

The squad lacks depth in key areas. If Goodwin genuinely intends to run as lean as he suggests we're never more than a booking, injury or ineligibility away from a shit show. Hopefully we'll see another two players come in and should anyone else leave, the leavers be replaced like for like.

On to St Mirren next and a better measure of where we are. They're in a bad way so i'd hope (if not expect) a comprehensive victory.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, JamieMT said:

Poor performance, but not the worst result in the world. Conceding a shambolic goal after 3 minutes,  i feared the worst. That we only shipped one more goal and that being a blinding shot from Jota i can live with.

Today was Celtic's victory parade. We've spent a bit of money and expectations are high, but they have players we could only dream of and their squad is settled too. This was our first outing against top flight opposition and it came against the Champions on their home turf.

Criticisms ...

We knew Scales couldn't play today yet we fielded a consistent back four throughout the cup games with today looming. Goodwin made a big deal (and i don't think he's wrong) of the significance of having a left footed CB playing that position. Yet opening day we have a midfielder in the role, weakening our midfield in the process.

Neither Miovski or Duk are fit. They need phased in, Ramirez should have started today or at the very least been subbed on. Prioritising Goodwin signings purely because they're his signings does neither the team nor the players any favours.

Positives ...

I thought Stewart was excellent. Gave a great account of himself and he's 100% our Captain. Coulson despite having arrived during the week and if i've heard correctly hasn't played since March, turned in a very strong display. And Matty Kennedy looked more like the player we signed than the player we've known.

Going forward ...

We need more arrivals. Our defence is weak and that's without taking into account Scales being ineligible to play against Celtic. We can't go making significant changes to the back line every time we play Celtic because of regulatory reasons. Either sign Scales in this window or move on to someone else. And if Bates is persona non grata, he needs replacing too.

Additionally we require a player with attacking, creativity in the middle of the pitch. Not a new thing by any means, but the most glaring hole in our team continues to go unaddressed.

Down the stretch ...

The squad lacks depth in key areas. If Goodwin genuinely intends to run as lean as he suggests we're never more than a booking, injury or ineligibility away from a shit show. Hopefully we'll see another two players come in and should anyone else leave, the leavers be replaced like for like.

On to St Mirren next and a better measure of where we are. They're in a bad way so i'd hope (if not expect) a comprehensive victory.

Agree with most of that, although actually thought McCrorie had a good game also. Between Roos, Stewart and McCrorie they kept the score at 2-0. We got ripped apart down our right and through the middle. Hayes offered Coulson plenty back up when defending. Thought Richardson and Kennedy were all over the shop defensively which drew Ramadani over to the right and left a gaping hole in the middle. They would then have runners from deep, out to in, in to out and Polvara was chasing shadows.

• Upvote 1

The twisted sisters were far better than anyone else last year and they've brought in players of a higher quality than ours to supplement that gap. I think we're going back to the days they were winning by 4+ regularly with the occasional 6 and 7 thrown in for good measure. No shock we lost 2-0, no shock we barely laid a glove on them. Judgement should come when we play the other also rans.

Sadly, today was tediously predictable. You could write the script days beforehand. 

Without McCrorie there we've a massive hole in the middle of midfield. Ramadani was anonymous today and Polvara is a million miles away from the type of player we need there....he can't tackle, he can't pass, he can't beat players, he can't do just about anything. 

Miovski and Duk aren't match fit, that's obvious. Vinny did nothing aside from misplace 3 yard passes. Kennedy tried hard. Hayes had one of his poorer games, and missed an absolute sitter when everybody in the ground had already given it up as a goal. 

Stewart was excellent, Richardson grew into the game, Coulson looked decent. Roos will concede a goal sooner rather than later with this idiotic playing the ball out. 

Let's move on. The test of this side begins next Saturday, and then the week after. 

1 minute ago, Schapenneuker said:

Sadly, today was tediously predictable. You could write the script days beforehand. 

Without McCrorie there we've a massive hole in the middle of midfield. Ramadani was anonymous today and Polvara is a million miles away from the type of player we need there....he can't tackle, he can't pass, he can't beat players, he can't do just about anything. 

Miovski and Duk aren't match fit, that's obvious. Vinny did nothing aside from misplace 3 yard passes. Kennedy tried hard. Hayes had one of his poorer games, and missed an absolute sitter when everybody in the ground had already given it up as a goal. 

Stewart was excellent, Richardson grew into the game, Coulson looked decent. Roos will concede a goal sooner rather than later with this idiotic playing the ball out. 

Let's move on. The test of this side begins next Saturday, and then the week after. 

I don't understand what the aim is when playing out with the goalkeeper. All we seemed to do is play a risky pass to either Stewart or McCrorie then pump it long. Surely it would either be play out from the back and try and beat Celtics high press or play it long and try and pick up second balls. 

So in the Ladybird guide to Scottish fitba the play out out from the back plan is to suck the opposition forward in a futile, poorly executed and unco-ordinated press that allows your goal keeper having weighed up all the options to casually pick out an unmarked team member on the halfway line thus rendering half the opposition team ineffective as you do goals.

Unfortunately Postecoglu is a graduate of the Football for the literate individual (non Daily Record Reading) school.  Thus their effective press forces us to keep playing it to Mcrorie with particular emphasis on his complete absence of a left foot which might lead one to believe that it was a deliberate ploy on their part.

Cheating educated bastards.

Ross should accept the complement.  They used to afford Ash Taylor the luxury of both feet!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, JamieMT said:

Neither Miovski or Duk are fit. They need phased in, Ramirez should have started today or at the very least been subbed on. Prioritising Goodwin signings purely because they're his signings does neither the team nor the players any favours

Wouldn’t have mattered who played up front, we created next to nothing apart from in the short spell before half time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
8 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

Wouldn’t have mattered who played up front, we created next to nothing apart from in the short spell before half time.

Correct .  A relatively aggressive front 3 of Hayes Miovski and Besijuen was rendered useless by allowing the entire game to occur in our defensive 3rd and taking every opportunity to gift wrap them the ball, constantly.

I don't read anything into this at all. They're league champions and will be there or thereabouts again. And let's face it, they're on another level in this league in comparison to anything but the other half. We had 31% of the possession in Glasgow while Livi on their own plastic mat had just 17% possession. That's simply what happens.

I'm more interested in St Mirren, they're going to be down there in the relegation mix. This is a home match and this is what i'm going to make a judgement from. At least in the meantime, form can develop. But if this isn't a relatively comfortable win I will be concerned.

• Upvote 6
57 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Correct .  A relatively aggressive front 3 of Hayes Miovski and Besijuen was rendered useless by allowing the entire game to occur in our defensive 3rd and taking every opportunity to gift wrap them the ball, constantly.

Spot on. Even without the benefit of hindsight, it was obvious we needed a 3v3 in central midfield and that Jack Milne should have been on the park, probably in central defence, at the expense of Kennedy.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Based on what?

I'm not picking sides or getting too involved here but Goodwin literally said so himself in his post-match interview.

"We won't be setting up like that for too many other games this season", "We don't expect (other teams) to control possession in the same way Celtic did today".

He intentionally set up more defensively against Celtic.

It might be mild bed-shitting pant pissery from myself but that sounds awfully close to Ebbe's "Damage control" comments.

24 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

I'm more interested in St Mirren, they're going to be down there in the relegation mix. This is a home match and this is what i'm going to make a judgement from. At least in the meantime, form can develop. But if this isn't a relatively comfortable win I will be concerned.

St. Mirren who apparently played very good, attacking football and were very unlucky to lose.

It might not be the guaranteed 3-pointer everyone thinks it's going to be.

23 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

I don't read anything into this at all. They're league champions and will be there or thereabouts again. And let's face it, they're on another level in this league in comparison to anything but the other half. We had 31% of the possession in Glasgow while Livi on their own plastic mat had just 17% possession. That's simply what happens.

Spot on.

As someone else said, oor league campaign starts next week 

• Like 1