Celtic 2 - 0 Aberdeen

10 minutes ago, slippers said:

Spot on bar maybe the last paragraph. Mental that some of our fans would accept top 6 and a quarter or semi finals or 2!

Top 6 finish doesn’t have to mean finishing sixth.

But the more immediate target , for me anyway, is to secure a top 6 place , so that we’re at least still in the mix for fiinishing higher than sixth.

1 hour ago, DelMonte said:

Up my own arse but here’s you saying how you’re braver on a football pitch than a young lad who’s been signed by Aberdeen and just played at Celtic Park. Brave players don’t go round telling everyone they were, especially when claiming it at fucking juvenile level. 

I couldn’t be arsed replying to the rest as I’m at work but on my lunch now. You missed the point completely - 3rd is the ambition but as fans we can’t shit our pants (you daily) if we don’t get it as a European place is steady progress from nearly ending up in a relegation play off last season.

You take this place far too serious, actually come across as someone who needs to take a step back. 

Just because we had a bad season last year doesn’t mean our expectations should be lowered. For me it’s going to be tough but we should at least be getting 4th 

We're back at Celtic Park in February. Will be a good measuring stick to see how we play that day compared to Sunday. I hope we can say how much we've come on since opening day.

I don't think 4th is unrealistic as an absolute minimum expectation, despite finishing 10th last season. The last game before the break, we still had ambitions of finishing 4th (and would have finished top 6 whatever happened had we won that last game). There's not *that* much improvement needed in this league to get up the league placings so if we can't wring that improvement out of this squad with all the money we've spent, I think you can very reasonably argue it's been a failure of a season. But it's not going to be easy as everyone else will be thinking the same.

10 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

We need to be in the European spots as a minimum this season.  Anything less would be a failure tbh. Oh and not getting papped out of the cups by diddy teams. 

Fair target and should be achieved. Anything else would be disappointing.

2 hours ago, CCB III said:

Jesus min. 

Of course we should expect it. There's been huge investment in the squad, we're being told they are quality, and I think they will be over the course of a season, barring some obvious exceptions. 

The fact these teams finished above us last season means nothing to me, they aren't better sides than us. Last seasons SP was one of the worst I can recall in terms of quality. Teams finishing in European places etc who only won 2 games from January. 

Hearts has a squad that was so poor it was relegated. They made a few tweaks and then suddenly they are the third best in the country by a while. The change can happen fast if the manager and the players are good enough. 

Anything less than third is a disappointment this year. Granted, not a sackable disappointment but I'm not having this mentality of accepting lower standards. That should be the aim. The amount spent on this squad tells me we should get top 4 this season, at least. We should be making a much better go of it in the cups as well. 

Maybe this early stretch of games it is too soon to expect maximum points but over the course of the season I'll be expecting 3rd place finish and a cup final, provided the draws are kind. 

You're right, at juvenile level I played football with a lot more aggression and heart than Polvara. A 6'4 mouse. 

Bit harsh on Dante Polvara. Whilst, he should have done far better with their first goal and was turned inside out for Jota's belter, he wasn't feart to stick the boot in. 

I agree at times he could've been more aggressive, however, as us Aberdeen supporters only know too well when playing the paedophilic mob, inevitably he would've ended up with a red card. 

He played OK, considering the level of football he played at over the pond. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

If George Yule read some of the defeatist, negative, and sad posts on here (just like the one you've responded to min), he would rightly be so fucking angry.

1st place should always be our objective from the outset of any season. Having a target of below that is pathetic. 

Good lad is George

3 hours ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

Bit harsh on Dante Polvara. Whilst, he should have done far better with their first goal and was turned inside out for Jota's belter, he wasn't feart to stick the boot in. 

I agree at times he could've been more aggressive, however, as us Aberdeen supporters only know too well when playing the paedophilic mob, inevitably he would've ended up with a red card. 

He played OK, considering the level of football he played at over the pond. 

He's made the step up surprisingly well, considering he only played College 'Soccer'.

In the last few games of last seasons shitfest he never looked out of his depth when he was used. 

Goodwin must see the potential in him if he's sticking him in against Celtic on the opening day, and it's probably safe to say that even with McRorie playing the middle we were getting nothing out of that match. Celtic were up for it, we were bulldozed early doors, and the referee of course killed what little momentum we created with well timed blows of the whistle when we had the advantage, or even just for phantom fouls. 

41 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

No surprises we improved massively when Mr. Yule was on board, and unfortunately due to the lad's poor health and as a result left his position, we have been inconsistent (at best). 

His attitude was fucking spot on. 

Yep he’s had some bad luck health wise

Whilst Celtic are no doubt a very good side. There does seem to be a remarkable amount of excuses being made for us having such a massively one sided game against them. I get it (to a certain extent) but we are sounding a lot more like fans of a shitey wee club like Killie etc. rather than a club with ambitions or 3rd place as a minimum. We were so shite last season we have already accepted we are at the levels of the other shitey clubs & we are starting all over again rather that being an exception to where we were/are.

I will not accept a performance anything like as bad as that v them next time we play. Regardless of how good we think they are

2 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Whilst Celtic are no doubt a very good side. There does seem to be a remarkable amount of excuses being made for us having such a massively one sided game against them. I get it (to a certain extent) but we are sounding a lot more like fans of a shitey wee club like Killie etc. rather than a club with ambitions or 3rd place as a minimum. We were so shite last season we have already accepted we are at the levels of the other shitey clubs & we are starting all over again rather that being an exception to where we were/are.

I will not accept a performance anything like as bad as that v the next time we play. Regardless of how good we think they are

Nah we're just realistic about how far we've fallen the last couple of years and that it takes more than a couple of games against lower league opposition to integrate 9 new players. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Nah we're just realistic about how far we've fallen the last couple of years and that it takes more than a couple of games against lower league opposition to integrate 9 new players. 

Fine lines though. Just don’t like the thought of the ‘Invincible Celtic’ becoming the ‘acceptable’ attitude again

• 5 months later...