Cal Roberts

13 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

like i've said i'm fairly negative on signing a player from the conference but will give him a chance however here is my very positive tuppence worth....

This guy had the highest xG+xA in the league last season.

If we parachuted any of our attacking players in to the conference would they manage to get anywhere near that? I'm not convinced

Let's punt mclennan there just to test this theory. 

4 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

like i've said i'm fairly negative on signing a player from the conference but will give him a chance however here is my very positive tuppence worth....

This guy had the highest xG+xA in the league last season.

If we parachuted any of our attacking players in to the conference would they manage to get anywhere near that? I'm not convinced

Checking Cosgroves stats in the third tier there. struggling to make any impression with his loan moves... Wiki reckons about 3 goals in 30+ games.

Not a bad bit of business by McInnes, to be fair to the guy. Bring in someone from the lower leagues, have him playing well for a bit, use that to elevate his price, defraud some chump team for millions when we sell him. 

Point being, if we can emulate that kind of business model on a regular basis then it would help us out massively from a financial point of view. 

There's no reason to suppose that lower league players can't make the step up... if it's even that much of a step up... 

We'd a bunch of players last year who'd international appearances at various levels, including a central defensive partnership that was absolutely gash and had played full internationals. So there's no guarantees regardless of the alleged ability of the guys you bring in. 

53 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Coming from an awful standard of football, miles below SPFL level, but the Notts supporters on social media seem absolutely distraught that he’s leaving. This is usually a good sign.  Sounds like he has scope to play higher than Conference anyway…

SPFL level is hardly the epitome of footballing excellence 

4 minutes ago, Poodler said:

What level of English football did Gleeson and Forrester play at regularly? 

Good point. 

Folk too quick to write off folk based off of previous clubs. 

Plenty of good players in that league that could do us a turn, I'm sure, no least the guy who scored 16 goals in it. 100k is a cheap punt for us at the minute it seems. 

I think he'll be decent. 

• Like 1

Hard to assess what were getting here. He's obviously been performing well but at a pretty low level. Notts County fans seems to rate him very highly and getting the number of goals he has from a right-wing position is very impressive. 

Not convinced he'll be of the required standard to make a significant impact for us but definitely should be useful as a squad option in the wide positions, which we'll definitely need over the season as players get injured/lose form. 

Hard to be too up or down at this point about this signing. 

10 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Coming from an awful standard of football, miles below SPFL level, but the Notts supporters on social media seem absolutely distraught that he’s leaving. This is usually a good sign.  Sounds like he has scope to play higher than Conference anyway…

The Inverness Caley Thistle team that won the Scottish Cup was full of players they had signed from League 1 and 2 and the English conference. 

Roberts may be decent but let's give him a chance before automatically writing him off because he was playing in the conference.

15 minutes ago, Roberto said:

A percentage are just moronic basing judgement on a player they've never seen before.

'He's shite'.

It's based on fuck all. Same cunts that said Bojan would be class. Amusing as fuck given they've probably never watched 2 full games of said players in question.

I'll judge both players based on what I see for the Dons.

Think we should try a different approach to the one that has failed us as fans over the years. Maybe... actually, support the players before and during when they kick a ball. Seen cunts on here slating Scales after 1 game, now same cunts believe he's best thing since sliced bread.

Embarrassing bunch.

Hope that explains it.

Whatever you do, don’t look at page 1 of the Jayden Richardson thread ??

You do understand we’re allowed an opinion based on a number of factors; player cost, market shopped in, experience of market previously and the experience of those directly involved in said scouting and securing?  You do also understand we’re allowed to change our minds once we’ve been able to watch said purchase actually play still taking into account further factors like fitness, injury history, language, age etc etc?  Some of us have been around this game a wee whiley you know!

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

You do understand we’re allowed an opinion based on a number of factors; player cost, market shopped in, experience of market previously and the experience of those directly involved in said scouting and securing?  You do also understand we’re allowed to change our minds once we’ve been able to watch said purchase actually play still taking into account further factors like fitness, injury history, language, age etc etc?  Some of us have been around this game a wee whiley you know!

I suspect he's been identified as good cover for a couple of attacking positions and a potentially useful impact player who the manager may suspect will offer more in that regard than McLennan or Watkins. 

Anything else will be a bonus. 

The Geordie Messi looks far too good for the National League in England based off the YouTube highlights and his goalscoring record at both Notts County and Blyth Spartans. 

I have no doubt he'll contribute more than Connor McLennan. 

He's a good age and technically he looks astounding. I'm excited to see him play.

• Upvote 3