Aberdeen 4 - 1 St Mirren

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Phil Neville was invariably a liability 

Neale Cooper would be a better example ?

Played centre mid, centre back, right back & very occasionally left back. 

No-one questioned it back then 

Nah, Phil Neville made a career out of being second or third choice in a number of positions in a dominating Manchester United team and got hundreds of games. No shame in that.  He made his versatility a strength to sustain a career. 

Folk focus on a couple of high profile mistakes for England. Need to have a broader view than that. 

Neale Cooper is another good example though. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Nah, Phil Neville made a career out of being second or third choice in a number of positions in a dominating Manchester United team and got hundreds of games. No shame in that.  He made his versatility a strength to sustain a career. 

Folk focus on a couple of high profile mistakes for England. Need to have a broader view than that. 

Neale Cooper is another good example though. 

A hun mate had a spare ticket for Rangers v Man Utd in the Champions League back in 2003, so I went along for the hell of it. Phil Neville will always have a place in my heart for sliding through the hun defence in the first few minutes like a hot knife through butter and slotting home. The orc hordes were raging, which was nice :lolrangers:

17 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Our loans are always class or absolutely shite with nothing in between and he looks class

Deserved a good one after all the shite we've suffered through.

Pleasing performance yesterday. A million miles away from last season.

2 hours ago, Big Hat Logan said:

I know he looks comfortable everywhere but why are people desperate for scales to play left back? Ramadani and McCrorie in the middle of the park should start every week, let the forward line attack and they can do the defensive stuff. 

Don't think anyone is desperate for him to play there tbh. Coulson looks like he'll be out for a few weeks and Scales would be the natural choice to replace him at left back. Putting Hayes there should be a non starter. He seems to have a good thing going with Miovski already. Keep him further up the pitch. And until MacKenzie is fit we have no other options for left back. 

2 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Don't think anyone is desperate for him to play there tbh. Coulson looks like he'll be out for a few weeks and Scales would be the natural choice to replace him at left back. Putting Hayes there should be a non starter. He seems to have a good thing going with Miovski already. Keep him further up the pitch. And until MacKenzie is fit we have no other options for left back. 

Mackenzie quite close to return allegedly.

Would rather he didn't start tho, and prefer the idea of a Scales LB, McRorie CB, Clarkson in midfield rather than any of them dropping out to accommodate. 

11 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

Would rather he didn't start tho, and prefer the idea of a Scales LB, McRorie CB, Clarkson in midfield rather than any of them dropping out to accommodate. 

agreed but also think a back 3 of McRorie , Stewart and Scales would be good 

17 minutes ago, muttonhumper said:

That's what i'd go with aswell. Then means if McCrorie went to centre back we could still accomodate Barron in midfield alongside Ramadani and Clarkson if we went with 3 in the middle. 

6 minutes ago, redstrummer said:

agreed but also think a back 3 of McRorie , Stewart and Scales would be good 

Who do you play LWB with Coulson out though? Do you play Hayes there and Play Duk or Morris further up? 

4 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

Going by what Goodwin has said previously he definitely likes playing with a back 4 so not sure we will see us playing with a back 3 too often. 

playing against 10 yesterday I though it was a good time to try that formation and get 2 strikers on . He eventually did it late on 

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

No. One. 

You stick with a back 4

That wasn't the question. The other poster said Scales, Stewart and McCrorie could play in a 3. So my question was who do you play wing back?

FWIW, i don't think Goodwin will play a 3. Think he done it at St Mirren last season and thry bombed while playing it so think he'll have learned his lesson there. 

12 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

That wasn't the question. The other poster said Scales, Stewart and McCrorie could play in a 3. So my question was who do you play wing back?

I don't think we have a proper left wing back so that's why I wouldn't play a 3 at the back.  Jonny is playing well in an advanced position so why fuck about with it. 

We need to build up an understanding with the players we have signed.

Switching from a back 4 to a back 3 is a crazy idea. 

35 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

That's what i'd go with aswell. Then means if McCrorie went to centre back we could still accomodate Barron in midfield alongside Ramadani and Clarkson if we went with 3 in the middle. 

Who do you play LWB with Coulson out though? Do you play Hayes there and Play Duk or Morris further up? 

we have a lot of wing back options 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I don't think we have a proper left wing back so that's why I wouldn't play a 3 at the back

We need to build up an understanding with the players we have signed.

Switching from a back 4 to a back 3 is a crazy idea. 

That's why I asked who he'd play there. Because like you say we don't have a LWB. I wouldn't play Hayes there because you then completely lose his effectiveness further up the park. MacKenzie, when fit, isn't attack mind enough to play there. 

1 hour ago, AyrshireSheep said:

McKenzie shouldn’t be too long I believe. I would rather we developed him at left back and kept Scales at centre half. Hayes is always better further up the pitch, at his age I would rather he had less defensive duties.

Scales will be capable in the meantime but I really want him and Stewart to dominate shite like Van Veen and all the other hammer throwers that ragdolled Gallagher and Bates last season. I don’t think there’s that many quick and skilful wingers in this league out with the OF and we lost so many goals at set pieces and through the middle last season, stupid mistakes and shite defending 

Guest findlay_1903

Did everyone enjoy themselves that went to the match? Gutted I never went, couldn’t give my ST away either. What like was the crowd?! 
DTID. 

27 minutes ago, redstrummer said:

well on the left side Hayes and Duncan on the right plenty too , I'm forgetting the names of all the new signings but Morris and Richardson 

Duncan is a winger. So is Hayes. Hayes could play there but you lose any effectiveness he has by playing him as a wing back. Morris is also a winger. Not even close to being a wing back. Next you'll be saying we can play Ramirez at wing back since he can't get a game up front. You've had a mare here pal. Stop. 

8 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

McKenzie shouldn’t be too long I believe. I would rather we developed him at left back and kept Scales at centre half. Hayes is always better further up the pitch, at his age I would rather he had less defensive duties.

Scales will be capable in the meantime but I really want him and Stewart to dominate shite like Van Veen and all the other hammer throwers that ragdolled Gallagher and Bates last season. I don’t think there’s that many quick and skilful wingers in this league out with the OF and we lost so many goals at set pieces and through the middle last season, stupid mistakes and shite defending 

Aye i defenitely want Stewart and Scales in the middle of the defence. Neither of those 2 will get bitch slapped by the pot smoking monkey like Gallagher and Bates did. Stewart will have his number all day long. But whilst Coulson is out i think Scales will move to left back. 

18 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Duncan is a winger. So is Hayes. Hayes could play there but you lose any effectiveness he has by playing him as a wing back. Morris is also a winger. Not even close to being a wing back. Next you'll be saying we can play Ramirez at wing back since he can't get a game up front. You've had a mare here pal. Stop. 

your speaking shite , all 4 of those players mentioned are capable of playing wing backs , it's an attacking role ffs , off you pop dick head 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, AyrshireSheep said:

Rameriz is a striker you fucking pap

10 minutes ago, redstrummer said:

your speaking shite , all 4 of those players mentioned are capable of playing wing backs , it's an attacking role ffs , off you pop dick head 

A wing back has to be capable of fucking defending. We've tried McLennan and Kennedy at wing back in recent seasons both of which worked out so well didn't they? Fucking hell. 

I'll bet if you put a poll up here asking if fans think Duncan & Morris could play wing back i suspect you'll be proved to be talking out your hole. We haven't even tried Duncan in his favoured position as a winger yet for any meaningful length of time yet you'd be happy throwing him in as a wing back where he's not played a single minute? Along with Morris? No bother Mr McInnes. That is your name right? Fucking fanny. 

10 minutes ago, redstrummer said:

Rameriz is a striker you fucking pap

Irony evidently lost on you ya fucking knucklehead. 

Insults aside, changing the formation completely for a home game against Motherwell after a relatively settled start to the season with a group of new players feels a tad drastic. 

I think we'd have more players potentially out of position moving to a back 3 for next Saturday than we would if we just had a wee tweak and moved Scales across and dropped McCrorie back.