Aberdeen 2 - 3 Motherwell

4 minutes ago, Dave Bus said:

Anyone else just think Goodwin talks a load of pish? 

Hard to believe how bad we were today. Was really positive about our recruitment but after today im only positive about Bojan, Scales and maybe Coulson being of the standard and we only own 1 of them. The rest the jury is probably still out. Very early days though. From the very start ive been worried about both Roos and Richardson and still remain concerned. Stewart today was by far the worst though, his passing ability overshadows the rest of his game which has positives.

26 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Just hame.

Me and el monkey the last 2 standing. Blooteted

Stewart might be a good defender but his passing is the worst I've ever seen.

You see him onto a bus to the Broch? ?

Hope you had a good day with your old man mate ??

Reflecting on that shite today made me think, would we have beaten St Mirren last week if Gallagher hadn’t been sent off and I’m not convinced we would have. But for that sending off and penalty we could have been looking at 1 or even 0 points from our first 3 games. Our squad clearly still isn’t strong enough and a lot of work still needs to be done before the window closes. Signing international class players is great, but supplementing them with lower league dross isn’t going to get us anywhere.

1 hour ago, Ramandu said:

Watch the second goal again. Definitely not McCrorie's man, he was marking Van Veen. Slattery was free from the moment the corner was taken, so I can only guess that Stewart should have been on him, as Stewart was nowhere near any Motherwell player.

I'll give you the third goal though, that was poor.

I don’t care. Bad enough losing to Motherwell at home, to lose to them at home with a bouncy bouncy hun bastard in the side is beyond the pale. Get him to fuck

• Like 1

The team needs work, clearly, but this was a complete rebuild.

We have time to find cohesion as a team, but today we were outclassed in every department. 

In the past we've been bullied and beaten by lesser teams, but the worrying thing was that Motherwell was the better team. 

It wasnt a case of them making up for their inferiority by pushing their weight around... they were better than us.

Plenty time to fix it, but lots of work needed to do so.

1 minute ago, HaarDon said:

That's the huns and after tomorrow, Celtic away from us already ffs.

Would've been nice to at least stay near them.

The reality might just have to be us being safe this year, which  while not thrilling is moving on the right direction.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

The team needs work, clearly, but this was a complete rebuild.

We have time to find cohesion as a team, but today we were outclassed in every department. 

In the past we've been bullied and beaten by lesser teams, but the worrying thing was that Motherwell was the better team. 

It wasnt a case of them making up for their inferiority by pushing their weight around... they were better than us.

Plenty time to fix it, but lots of work needed to do so.

It makes you wonder, is there a malaise around Aberdeen FC? New manager, new players and the same old shite...

We have (apparently) the 3rd biggest budget but seem intent in signing bottom 6 class players.

I had doubts about our prospects today simply because of our fragile defence and the fact that they have an unbelievable track record of letting us down - regardless of who is at the helm.

Let`s not forget that Motherwell are garbage...Sligo and St. Johnstone ffs...

If we finish top 6 I will be pleasantly surprised.

8 minutes ago, The Lighthouse said:

It makes you wonder, is there a malaise around Aberdeen FC? New manager, new players and the same old shite...

We have (apparently) the 3rd biggest budget but seem intent in signing bottom 6 class players.

I had doubts about our prospects today simply because of our fragile defence and the fact that they have an unbelievable track record of letting us down - regardless of who is at the helm.

We appointed a manager with a 30% win ratio.  There should be no shock or surprise at results. 

I get that teams take time to gel,  but today was pathetic.  

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, The Lighthouse said:

Signing bottom 6 class players is the issue. I remember earlier in the summer questioning if Alan Forrest would be a good enough signing for us. Here we are now signing wingers from English 5th division and fleetwoods subs bench, was expecting us to bring in players of higher quality.

4 hours ago, Bett8 said:

Brewdog in town this weekend celebrating their AGM, massive event. Private jets from all over stacked at ABZ.  Meanwhile, at beach, the Famous turned over by a bunch of socially-housed minks, with zero history. How could this be? An utter travesty, beyond comprehension. I blame the recruitment process. On joining , never mind taking these newbies [and their entourage] around the Audi garages and private schools. Perhaps first they should be educated about the city and it’s business , the history, what the men of Aberdeen expect, their expectations. If you want to play for Aberdeen then losing is not allowed. A slim defeat to the filth, having tried fucking hard , is occasionally understood,  sometimes.  We are Aberdeen. A big rich city, with history. We do not lose to tower-block minks from scumville. Simple. 

Good grief! 

• Haha 1

Biggest issue for me is Van Veen again. Why can we not deal with him? Keep hearing from Dons fans that ‘he’s shite’, but he continually runs us ragged. What does that then make us?  He’s doing a very good impression of being better than us… when it gets to the 4th time, and this is happening in consecutive seasons, it’s probably not a fluke!  Even with new personnel, knowing what to expect, we couldn’t find a solution. That is hugely worrying. 

As others have said though, it’s going to take a bit of time to get this new squad of players going… will be plenty more really discouraging days before we start to make consistent progress I would imagine. We definitely need to be patient and avoid massive knee-jerk reactions… having said that, there are a few really worrying signs, which suggest we could have a few terminal issues. Principally, as others have already mentioned, the players signed from the English lower leagues and national leagues, look like they are English lower league and National league players. I remain hopeful we can polish a few gems, but there are a few of them that I’m not sure they’ll have the requisite technical ability to play at this level.

Having said all that above, Goodwin has started his managerial reign with some pretty poor numbers. How much time has he got to try and bring the lads up to speed? I think we’ll have no choice but to work with a few of them… but I fear for guys like Roos. I think he might be the first casualty.

• Upvote 1

low IQ football at its best.
the decision making was slow with little direction,too many touches ,players will simply crumble over the season ,point the finger at others,we are living with the  avoid all responsibility generation .
i cant see anything other than a very long season for most fans. 
get out of this corrupt  league.

4 hours ago, The Lighthouse said:

It's the north-east bubble that we're in.

Two factors contribute to this;

A.[The local population]One city, one club, less penetration of the old firm to the populace and a relative degree of affluence = Players get big headed as the local populace are too supportive. 

Players will go about their off time and be lauded by folk on the street - in most other cities, they stand a good chance of getting cunted off openly in the street or in restaurants either by city rivals or old firm fans.

These points combine to make us weak.

B. [The big club mythos]  There's far too much talk of 'We are a big club' when the sad truth is we haven't been for some time. A 'big club' would have had more domestic cups (say in the last 30 years), and a big club would've gotten in to the group stages of the Europa League rather than shit it continually as we did.

Yet, the club persist in this big club mythos and it damages us - we think that if we sign non-league shite that the magical 'big club' effects will somehow wash off on them and they will become brilliant - well it doesn't work that way.

The players also buy into the big club myth and just expect to win. That's why we never scrap for a win (it's beneath a big club to do so) and that's why we have no bottle (when the myth is shattered and teams don't roll over there's nothing to fall back on).

Now the fans can't be blamed and it's good that they are polite but the club have to address how they see themselves versus reality and how that steers their decisions in the wrong direction. 

• Upvote 3
59 minutes ago, Dal Riata Don said:

It's the north-east bubble that we're in.

Two factors contribute to this;

A.[The local population]One city, one club, less penetration of the old firm to the populace and a relative degree of affluence = Players get big headed as the local populace are too supportive. 

Players will go about their off time and be lauded by folk on the street - in most other cities, they stand a good chance of getting cunted off openly in the street or in restaurants either by city rivals or old firm fans.

These points combine to make us weak.

B. [The big club mythos]  There's far too much talk of 'We are a big club' when the sad truth is we haven't been for some time. A 'big club' would have had more domestic cups (say in the last 30 years), and a big club would've gotten in to the group stages of the Europa League rather than shit it continually as we did.

Yet, the club persist in this big club mythos and it damages us - we think that if we sign non-league shite that the magical 'big club' effects will somehow wash off on them and they will become brilliant - well it doesn't work that way.

The players also buy into the big club myth and just expect to win. That's why we never scrap for a win (it's beneath a big club to do so) and that's why we have no bottle (when the myth is shattered and teams don't roll over there's nothing to fall back on).

Now the fans can't be blamed and it's good that they are polite but the club have to address how they see themselves versus reality and how that steers their decisions in the wrong direction. 

Very true^^

A big club wouldnt fuck up every single time (almost) against Celtic or The Rangers either.

It may only be one game that has totally demoralised most of us yesterday, but there are too many flaws to fix atm.

I hope JG works some magic and we gel better and become this hard team to beat since we have a few good players and a great striker.

But that's just a dream isn't it?

Predicted 5 goals, just thought we'd get 4 of them. Didn't see second half, but obviously we didn't learn anything from the first 

Bit of perspective required. We're a bog average side in a bog average league which is dominated by two average teams. Still say we'll get top 4...

20 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

Very true^^

A big club wouldnt fuck up every single time (almost) against Celtic or The Rangers either.

It may only be one game that has totally demoralised most of us yesterday, but there are too many flaws to fix atm.

I hope JG works some magic and we gel better and become this hard team to beat since we have a few good players and a great striker.

But that's just a dream isn't it?

I don't think Goodwin has the brains or the force of personality to do this job.

Brains: He must just look at us mid week, see who's playing well and think, 'that's the team then.' OK fine, but what about balance, coverage, or clear responsibilities? No regard for any of it. We start every game like the team's just been picked. It's not just Stewart who can't pass - they are all strangers to each other. Why is this? Was the same against Raith so it's nothing to do with the quality of the opposition. 

No force of personality: I've heard Goodwin say post match twice; 'We asked the players to keep the pressure on in the second half but they couldn't.' This was said after the Stirling game and the St Mirren one. 

Well, if the players who he's signed won't do as he says, what's going on? He's just got 'media skills', nothing to really connect with a player in a man-to-man discussion.  

Anyroad, I pissed the bed last night so I'm off to get the washing on.

Everything has been said in these last few posts here. 

We're in a mess with players that are really not good enough for the standard we need to be at. 

Poor management from Cormack down.  I seriously doubt now if Goodwin has what it takes to fix it. Time will tell but I fear this time next season and for many to come the same conversations will be repeated.

Not a pleasant prospect.

• Upvote 1

Let's calm down for now.

Newly assembled team has a completely shite day at the office. 

Lessons can be addressed in training during week culminating in a decent victory against St Johnstone next weekend. 

Progress is going to take time but we will, ultimately, be consistently better than last session. 

That is likely to mean a top six, perhaps a top four finish.

That is the reality.

Sorting out the mess left by the late McInnes years / Glass year is going to take quite a bit of fan's patience and time. 

• Upvote 3

We completely lost the midfield battle. Had absolute nothing in there yesterday. If Goodwin hasnt learned a couple of lessons yesterday for our lineup against st Johnstone ill start to worry. Scales should always be played at CB even if it means playing Hayes at LB. McCrorie should always be in CM. Id personally be dropping Roos straight away, my opinion is that hes not any better than lewis and id actually debate hes worse. 

I had thought winning the first 6 fixtures was really possible but now im really not sure what to think. Feel like Goodwin is already under a bit of pressure and needs to sort it out for next week. We had a terrible away record last season and if we fail to win next week doubts over Goodwin and recruitment will only rise!

And before anyone says anything my opinion is not on the fact we lost yesterday (this can happen) its how we lost, yes we have recruited 11 new players but we have spent close too 2m,  I don't expect us to get humiliated by Motherwell having spent that much on players.

Have to admit, I was very much for the appointment of Goodwin but I am seriously questioning my own judgement.

Last season was a free hit to an extent, and he made heavy weather of it but you give him the benefit of the doubt, although decent managers are able to get more out of inferior players.

This summer, the recruitment has been scattergun to say the least, both in terms of the ability of the players coming in, the level they are coming in from, and overloading in certain areas whilst leaving ourselves very thin elsewhere.

Yesterday was concerning. No need to shit the bed quite yet but red flags are going up everywhere and not for the reasons you’d expect 

• Upvote 3
8 minutes ago, BaaBaaRedSheep said:

Let's calm down for now.

Newly assembled team has a completely shite day at the office. 

Lessons can be addressed in training during week culminating in a decent victory against St Johnstone next weekend. 

Progress is going to take time but we will, ultimately, be consistently better than last session. 

That is likely to mean a top six, perhaps a top four finish.

That is the reality.

Sorting out the mess left by the late McInnes years / Glass year is going to take quite a bit of fan's patience and time. 

Think we need to get another 4 or 5 games under our belt to see where we really are. After yesterday we are on a low but it is hopefully a blip but it could well be a sign of things to come. Lets see how next weekend goes.

4 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Have to admit, I was very much for the appointment of Goodwin but I am seriously questioning my own judgement.

Last season was a free hit to an extent, and he made heavy weather of it but you give him the benefit of the doubt, although decent managers are able to get more out of inferior players.

This summer, the recruitment has been scattergun to say the least, both in terms of the ability of the players coming in, the level they are coming in from, and overloading in certain areas whilst leaving ourselves very thin elsewhere.

Yesterday was concerning. No need to shit the bed quite yet but red flags are going up everywhere and not for the reasons you’d expect 

Exactly how I feel. Although I had thought we had maybe had a good transfer window but as time has gone on we have signed more and more lower league players and its hard to gauge how good they actually are.