Aberdeen 2 - 3 Motherwell

Calmed down after yesterday. And ironically, it's Derek McInnes who brought a voice of reason to my rage. Said this on the radio - that clubs like us and Dundee Utd can't be expected to turn in consistent performances at this stage in the season because we have new squads. It's actually mental how differently we performed this week and last, but in a way it's to be expected, granted maybe not to the levels we saw.

Not just a bad day at the office yesterday - an absolute stinker. Did they train too hard through the week and weren't mentally up for it? Maybe. Need to have a strong reaction against St. Johnstone though.

If we can find some sort of consistency that is somewhere between the performances v Motherwell and v St Mirren, we'll get top 6. So need to raise the base level if we have any hope of getting into Europe.

Weirdly, I do trust JG and this squad of players, purely because of the glimpses of good football that I've seen. Shows we're capable, just need to see it every week.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, McPhee123 said:

It's actually mental how differently we performed this week and last, but in a way it's to be expected, granted maybe not to the levels we saw.

We only performed so well last week after St Mirren went down to 10, prior to that there wasn’t really much between the teams. 

1 hour ago, McPhee123 said:

Weirdly, I do trust JG and this squad of players, purely because of the glimpses of good football that I've seen.

There was glimpses of good football under Glass, look how that turned out.

20% win record for Goodwin isn’t good enough, he needs to improve things and quickly.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, zeroisgod76 said:

We only performed so well last week after St Mirren went down to 10, prior to that there wasn’t really much between the teams. 

There was glimpses of good football under Glass, look how that turned out.

20% win record for Goodwin isn’t good enough, he needs to improve things and quickly.

Aaaaaand that's my patience ran out

Blocked 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that, despite their utterly inept Euro capitulation, Motherwell could be the team to beat outwith the Glasgow cnuts.

Not sure what that says about the Scottish game but they looked pretty good v us. A decent mix of physicality, game winning nous, passing ability, finishing.

Or it could be the cheap Spanish wine talking, dunno.

Hearts are comfortably the 3rd best side in the league. And they're going to become stronger with Euro money.

7 hours ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that, despite their utterly inept Euro capitulation, Motherwell could be the team to beat outwith the Glasgow cnuts.

Not sure what that says about the Scottish game but they looked pretty good v us. A decent mix of physicality, game winning nous, passing ability, finishing.

Think Motherwell will struggle up make top 6. 

15 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I'm going to cut Cormack a bit of slack. It would be naive to think that a fair old portion of the transfer fees we have brought in won't be banked to help pay for our new stadium, whenever/wherever it eventually gets built.

But we've also paid off a few players from last season's squad...and may end up doing so with a couple more before the transfer window closes. And all the new players we've brought in need paying their wages too. You can't just take the transfer fees we paid as the only factor in determining what we have spent out of what was brought in. 

If we bring in the midfielder that Goodwin wants and pay a fee for him, I don't think anyone could accuse Cormack of not having backed his manager well this summer.

We've spent quite a bit compared to previous windows so I tend to agree.

The money coming for the players we've sold this summer will be over the next few years as well - it's not going to be paid up front. 

And we might also pay a fee for Scales if we can get him.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

Motherwell were outplayed by St Mirren in the 1st game of the season and fluked a win. They then proceeded to lose at home to St Johnstone. 

Then they came to Pittodrie and easi;ly walked through us time and time again. 

I think that says more about us than it does Motherwell, for what it's worth.

18 minutes ago, Schapenneuker said:

Motherwell were outplayed by St Mirren in the 1st game of the season and fluked a win. They then proceeded to lose at home to St Johnstone. 

Then they came to Pittodrie and easi;ly walked through us time and time again. 

I think that says more about us than it does Motherwell, for what it's worth.

Agree. We were bad on so many levels on Saturday. Got to hope it was a blip. But some doubts already starting to creep in on Goodwins ability. I can take being beat by Motherwell with a new team but not in that manner. The worry is all the bottom 6 clubs will have watched that and play exactly the same against us. 

15 hours ago, Dom Sullivan said:

Roos doesn’t command his goal line let alone his six yard box. 

Lewis is a better keeper despite his blip last season

Was it even that much of a blip considering what was in front of him? Lewis had a poor season by his own standards. But individually it was probably still a better season than any of Langfields, Preece, Esson going back a couple decades 

On 8/13/2022 at 4:58 PM, Bamber said:

Mcrorie a loss on midfield should have had hayes left back. 

we still can’t play through two defensive banks of four

Absolutely spot on. That’s how Motherwell set up when we we’re attacking. 2 banks of well drilled banks of four and by and large we couldn’t make any inroads at all. Add a defensive shit show and it was a recipe for disaster.

A lot of teams bar the arse cheeks will set up exactly the same so we will better get used to it soon

18 hours ago, Dom Sullivan said:

Roos doesn’t command his goal line let alone his six yard box. 

Lewis is a better keeper despite his blip last season

That second goal conceded was possibly the most embarrasing goal I've seen conceded by a professional football team.  A corner that is tapped in from about two yards, just in front of the back post, and not a defender got head or hands near the ball.  That is partly down to tactics (a player on the back post would have helped and would have prevented the first goal Celtic scored in the 0-2 defeat) but mostly down to that imposter Roos.  He is a vampire goalie - terrified of crosses.  He seemed to actively move away from high balls and must surely be getting targetted by all opposition until JG finally sees sense and drops him.

I've got a bit of sympathy for goalies at corners these days. 

Attacking players are allowed to block them on their line making it really hard for them to get a proper run and jump at crosses. 

It's basically obstruction but seems to have been accepted as a legitimate tactic  Same for both teams of course but hard for the goalie to deal with 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Attacking players are allowed to block them on their line making it really hard for them to get a proper run and jump at crosses. 

It's basically obstruction but seems to have been accepted as a legitimate tactic  Same for both teams of course but hard for the goalie to deal with 

They can use their hands & are generally protected by officials for most part. Very rarely do you see a GK giving away a penalty for coming for a high cross. Keepers have no excuses for being weak at coming for crosses. 

Just now, fine-n-dandy said:

They can use their hands & are generally protected by officials for most part. Very rarely do you see a GK giving away a penalty for coming for a high cross. Keepers have no excuses for being weak at coming for crosses. 

They do if they are being blocked off at a corner by an opposition player who is making no attempt to play the ball. 

17 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

So whats wrong with the defender between striker and keeper who's sole job is to get rid of said striker as opposed to leaving him completely unmarked to kick it into our unguarded net.  Further, if necessary, why's he not  shoving his thumb knuckle up the strikers ring to do so like in the old days.

I'll guarantee you three corners in that striker will be elsewhere. 

9 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

So whats wrong with the defender between striker and keeper who's sole job is to get rid of said striker as opposed to leaving him completely unmarked to kick it into our unguarded net.  Further, if necessary, why's he not  shoving his thumb knuckle up the strikers ring to do so like in the old days.

Aye as I said its just something you've got to deal with but I do think it makes it a nightmare for goalies to get out at corners as they spend half the time trying to shake free their marker when they should be judging the flight of the ball. The sight of a goalie coming out and catching a corner is largely a thing of the past. At best they tend to get a fist on it these days

11 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

The good old days when defenders used to finger opposing strikers. 

13 minutes ago, KidCreole said:

Could Hayes be a option for captain ? 

Wouldn't have thought so. You would expect us to sign the player that ultimately supplants Hayes from being a first team regular either in January or next summer at the latest. Indeed he might not get a new (playing) contract offer anyway, or may choose to retire now that he's started coaching the U16s, but if we do give him another year it will surely be as a squad player, 

If Stewart proves not to be of the required standard to hold down a starting spot then there's only one player that we own ourselves who stands out as a potential captain, and although it would stick in the throats of a fair proportion of our support given what happened in mid-May, it's McCrorie. Had Barron been a year older with a full season as a fist team player behind him then he would have been an option but right now he's just too inexperienced. 

Were we to sign Scales permanently he would be a reasonable candidate, same might also apply to Coulson

Also all the chat prior to the game was about motherwell being hammer throwers and how protection from the ref would be paramount to a victory, We were however outplayed by a more effective team playing with a fast intensity and more committed in the 1 on 1 scenarios, On a more optimistic note It did look on a longer time scale that we would have won, moot point tho I admit