Gambling

YorkDon

It’s come a long way from when I was a kid when it was seen as seedy wee betting shops, and dodgy looking guys, smoking rollies.

The ads are slick and professional, as are the apps, and you can throw away loads of money so easily with a click.

It’s never ever bitten me though.Don’t even know how to fill out a betting slip.

Do folk really make fortunes, or is it a proper mugs game?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, YorkDon said:

It’s come a long way from when I was a kid when it was seen as seedy wee betting shops, and dodgy looking guys, smoking rollies.

The ads are slick and professional, as are the apps, and you can throw away loads of money so easily with a click.

It’s never ever bitten me though.Don’t even know how to fill out a betting slip.

Some people make fortunes but it's getting very hard to do so now due to restrictions, proof of funds requirements and a lot of the bookies not taking a serious bet.  I know a few guys that make some serious cash out of it but it requires a lot of hard work, an edge on a sport and the ability to 'get on' the bets.

In terms of football betting I'm sure it's less than 10% of people who 'seriously' bet it are profitable, horse racing I'm not sure, I'd guess a decent percentage do ok out of that, cricket, golf and snooker seem to be 'easier to be profitable but again requires a lot of effort.

3 hours ago, YorkDon said:

100% a mugs game.

Online gambling is far too addictive, too easy to deposit money while sat at home and can end up getting deeper and deeper into a hole chasing losses..

I've been there, started off spending £10-£20 at a weekend putting on a few bets on the Saturday afternoon football. Got to the stage whee i was barely sleeping and betting £100 on Nicaraguan under 21 games at 4 in the morning. Debt was climbing and climbing, taking more and more loans. Always hoping for that big win that would clear my debts with the naive belief that when it happened that would be me, i'd stop then. Never happened though.

Came close to losing everything, and had times when i was close to ending it all (which i'm sure would have pleased some of the posters on here haha).

Haven't gambled now for around 5 years, debt free and wish i could go back in time and convince myself that it's a mugs game. The bookies are always the winners.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

100% a mugs game.

Online gambling is far too addictive, too easy to deposit money while sat at home and can end up getting deeper and deeper into a hole chasing losses..

I've been there, started off spending £10-£20 at a weekend putting on a few bets on the Saturday afternoon football. Got to the stage whee i was barely sleeping and betting £100 on Nicaraguan under 21 games at 4 in the morning. Debt was climbing and climbing, taking more and more loans. Always hoping for that big win that would clear my debts with the naive belief that when it happened that would be me, i'd stop then. Never happened though.

Came close to losing everything, and had times when i was close to ending it all (which i'm sure would have pleased some of the posters on here haha).

Haven't gambled now for around 5 years, debt free and wish i could go back in time and convince myself that it's a mugs game. The bookies are always the winners.

Weak willed, bloody pathetic.

I love a wee flutter. Would never allow myself to get into yon state though. 

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
5 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

100% a mugs game.

Fucking hell.

For total serpents.  Used to hate going to the football and mungles I went there with would spend the whole game checking the Ingloid scores to - see if my coupons coming in. 

- Aston Villa scored !!  Just saying on Kidderminster Spunk Barriers...

Fuck off.  John Collins would never tolerate such weak minded shite.

Guest Grays Babylon 1875

Does Nicaragua even have a bucking league? 

Cunts are never in the qualifiers North or South of the worlds greatest continent. 

Possibly Huns. 

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
7 hours ago, zeroisgod76 said:

That's how I feel when I see Brian has made the last 4 comments in The Pub. 

It’s also the cunts in the pub betting on how many throw ins and corners etc, and wondering whether or not to cash out etc as some team they’ve never heard of has pulled one back against another team they’ve never heard of.

Boring as fuck.

Fantasy fitba is just as bad.

16 minutes ago, YorkDon said:

It’s also the cunts in the pub betting on how many throw ins and corners etc, and wondering whether or not to cash out etc as some team they’ve never heard of has pulled one back against another team they’ve never heard of.

Boring as fuck.

Fantasy fitba is just as bad.

You just don't get it . Boring people don't bet.

• 7 months later...
On 8/12/2022 at 10:25 AM, YorkDon said:

Mugs game.

Buy premium bonds. Or family homes.

10 hours ago, dave_min said:

Mugs game.

Buy premium bonds. Or family homes.

I put some cash in an investment pre pandemic and it was doing lovely.

Checked my portfolio and it’s lost 13% from where it had got to before Covid struck.

I’ve still got my original investment, but I had gained more than 25% before.

Will leave it in there as it’s started to (slowly) climb back up.