The Golf Thread

Think of this as like an American Wrestling thread but better.

Any golfers out there? (HH, Chimp, TF etc) I'm looking for a perspective.

I'm thinking of changing my 3 wood. I've currently got a Callaway Warbird but after changing my driver last year I saw how much the new increased MOI technology can bring. I went from the 5 year old Steelhead III to the TaylorMade R7 TP and gained easily 35-40 yards.

Anyway, back to the point I can hit my Warbird 3 wood about 225 yards off the fairway and I wondered if anyone had used a hybrid replacement or a new 2007 Ti fairway wood yet and if you can get much performance increase.

To be honest I'm not sure I want to hit a 3 wood any further than 225 anyway but, sadly, the Warbird is looking it's age.

Any suggestion? I was thinking of looking at the new Taylor Made Burner range or possibly even something like this this http://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/mens/golf-club...cog/2131pog.asp

:hysterical:

Guest CAPSLOCK
I can hit my Warbird 3 wood about 225 yards off the fairway

EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE BUT IS PLAYING GOLF IN HOLLAND NOT A BIT EASY?

Think of this as like an American Wrestling thread but better.

Any golfers out there? (HH, Chimp, TF etc) I'm looking for a perspective.

I'm thinking of changing my 3 wood. I've currently got a Callaway Warbird but after changing my driver last year I saw how much the new increased MOI technology can bring. I went from the 5 year old Steelhead III to the TaylorMade R7 TP and gained easily 35-40 yards.

Anyway, back to the point I can hit my Warbird 3 wood about 225 yards off the fairway and I wondered if anyone had used a hybrid replacement or a new 2007 Ti fairway wood yet and if you can get much performance increase.

To be honest I'm not sure I want to hit a 3 wood any further than 225 anyway but, sadly, the Warbird is looking it's age.

Any suggestion? I was thinking of looking at the new Taylor Made Burner range or possibly even something like this this http://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/mens/golf-club...cog/2131pog.asp

:hysterical:

I've got a Warbird 3 wood as well. While technology has just about passed it by, the confidence I have when I take it out of the bag can't be bought.

I use it off the tee more than I do from the fairway though.

Might try one of these new fangled fancy things though, if they are as good as you folks say.

I've got a Warbird 3 wood as well. While technology has just about passed it by, the confidence I have when I take it out of the bag can't be bought.

I use it off the tee more than I do from the fairway though.

Might try one of these new fangled fancy things though, if they are as good as you folks say.

I hear you there. If I'm not feeling confident with my driver I can always use it for a nice straight hit on par 4s.

Might swap it for a 2 iron hybrid replacement. I'll check out the Cobra's too.

Pfft. You're lucky I'm going on holiday.

I'll make time for Carnoustie. Mid-Late September :thumbup1:

Holiday, what's that?!

Once you have confirmed that you are actually coming over I will arrange something whether it is Carnoustie, St Andrews or the 9 at Hazlehead!

Will you be allowed? :ph34r:

That's the one. I like it with the steel shaft because it feels more like an iron to me. If you want to hit it mostly as a replacement for the 3-wood, the 1-iron replacement with a graphite shaft might be the best option.

I'm going to to try the Titleist 585.H, Taylor Made Dual TP and the Cobra Baffler Pro tonig.

Let you know how I get on :thumbup1:

I acquired a Progen 4 iron rescue from the links, cheapest one there and it hits more like a 7 wood to me. Its a godsend as i am getting some well needed height from the fairway. I recently switched from Callaway x-14 steelheads (graphite) to Mizuno MP-32's (steel) and the technology must have changed quite a bit. Blades being "harder to hit" have certainly made me lose distance but as for accuracy :thumbup1:

BTW If anyone has found ore knows of someone finding an X-14 P Wedge PLEASE let me know.

Guest CAPSLOCK

IT'S BEEN AROUND 5 YEARS SINCE MY LAST GAME OF GOLF HAVING PLAYED REGULARLY BEFORE. DIDN'T MISS IT AT FIRST BUT (PERHAPS WITH AGE) I'M BEGINNING TO LONG FOR A ROUND OR TWO.

BUT I HAVE TO SAY, READING THIS, I'M BEGINNING TO WONDER IF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT GOLF OR F1?

IT'S BEEN AROUND 5 YEARS SINCE MY LAST GAME OF GOLF HAVING PLAYED REGULARLY BEFORE. DIDN'T MISS IT AT FIRST BUT (PERHAPS WITH AGE) I'M BEGINNING TO LONG FOR A ROUND OR TWO.

BUT I HAVE TO SAY, READING THIS, I'M BEGINNING TO WONDER IF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT GOLF OR F1?

Golfers seem to get a hardon talking about equipment. The last few rounds I've been a lot of the conversation going round the course has been about equipment used by the players. And most of the time these players are sh*te.

Spending

Guest CAPSLOCK

CAN'T SAY I'VE PLAYED WITH ANYONE LIKE THAT CHIMP, MAYBE IT'S CAME MORE INTO THE GAME SINCE I LAST PLAYED?

I READ IN A *FRIEND'S 'MENS HEALTH' MAG, THAT IF YOU LIFT A FEW FREE WEIGHTS HERE AND THERE OR IMPROVE YOUR GENERAL FITNESS A LITTLE, THAT IT CAN ADD A GOOD FEW YARDS TO YOUR GAME. ALTHOUGH 200 KNICKER IS PROBABLY THE EASY WAY OF BOTHERING TO DO THAT AND NOT THAT COSTLY IF YOU'RE USING IT REGULARLY OVER A FEW YEARS.

*WASN'T MINE HONEST, I WAS JUST CHECKING HOW TO GET RID OF ACNE ON MY ARSE AND 'ROIDS ON MY CHIN.

I'll admit I'm one of those golfers getting hardons about golf equipment, but I used to be like you. If your clubs are 12 years old, as you say they are you're truly missing out. The club heads for the irons haven't changed that much, but the shafts, drivers, and wedges have changed significantly. Also, the grooves wear out over time and after 12 years you could probaly use an upgrade. Try out a new club, I think you would be shocked at the difference.

I guess as you progress you tend to try anything to get that bit better.

To be honest my R7 driver cost roughly the same as 1 night out on the piss in Edinburgh.

All the gear, no idea you mean.

Exactly.

I'll admit I'm one of those golfers getting hardons about golf equipment, but I used to be like you. If your clubs are 12 years old, as you say they are you're truly missing out. The club heads for the irons haven't changed that much, but the shafts, drivers, and wedges have changed significantly. Also, the grooves wear out over time and after 12 years you could probaly use an upgrade. Try out a new club, I think you would be shocked at the difference.

I know that my clubs will be out of date these days , but until I start playing a bit more golf I'm just going to plough on with them. :thumbup1:

I'm looking to take up golf, but don't know where to start. I'm guessing, that heading down to Kings Links to see about lessons is a start but equipment wise, I'm lost.

Any AFC Hatter's tips for beginners?

PRE OWNED

Theres a few lovely sets of clubs down at the links. You could also try American Golf Discount Store at the Haudagain and up at Hazlehead

Guest CAPSLOCK
You should come to Holland.

90% of golferes are like that and they don't do etiquette either :itch-chin:

AHH THE AULD GOLF ETIQUETTE....

*SOAPBOX TIME:

FROM DAY ONE YOU'RE TOLD THAT THE GREENS ARE THIS MAGICAL CIRCLE OF LAND WHICH IS MORE SACRED THAN ANY RELIGIOUS SITE ON EARTH.

NEVER DUMP YOUR GOLF BAG ON THE GREENS.

NEVER USE ANY CLUB OTHER THAN A PUTTER ON THE GREENS.

NEVER POKE YOUR 'BROLLY INTO THE GREENS.

NEVER STEP ON YOUR PARTNER'S / OPPONENT'S LINE.

ALWAYS REPAIR ALL PITCH MARKS.

ALWAYS LAY THE FLAG DOWN WITHOUT TARNISHING THE GREEN.

ALWAYS REMOVE THE TINYEST STRAY BLADE OF GRASS / RABBIT SH

I haven't played for about 3 years. I simply don't have the temperament to play golf to any reasonable level as anybody who's been to the football with me will no doubt understand. Mind you, given I'm working on an extension to a golf club just now, I'm expecting to get a few free rounds out of it.