The Golf Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Right, after a few times at the Driving Range the past couple of weeks I had my first round of Golf last night since I was about 13. Although I was pretty pish I enjoyed it so going to persevere. Was just borrowing clubs so need to get my own set.

There are so many variations of clubs though I don't know what to get. Will be a pre-owned set from ebay or such like.

What is the differnce between shafts? e.g. Stiff, Regular..? Do I need to go and hit some balls and get my swing speed recorded to decide or is it simpler than that? Don't want to get a set that aren't going to help me become a superstar.

Right, after a few times at the Driving Range the past couple of weeks I had my first round of Golf last night since I was about 13. Although I was pretty pish I enjoyed it so going to persevere. Was just borrowing clubs so need to get my own set.

There are so many variations of clubs though I don't know what to get. Will be a pre-owned set from ebay or such like.

What is the differnce between shafts? e.g. Stiff, Regular..? Do I need to go and hit some balls and get my swing speed recorded to decide or is it simpler than that? Don't want to get a set that aren't going to help me become a superstar.

Do you know if there's an American Golf shop near you? If there is, get yourself down there and get some advice from the guys instore. They'll take into account that you're basically a learner and will also take a look at your swing and determine what sort of weight of club, shaft, head would suit you best. They can be quite pricey though, so once you've got your recommendation, shop around. I'm sure that there are other golf shops would do the same for you, but it's only American Golf that I've experienced this with.

If you are a beginner, I'd go for regular shafts. This will help you to get the ball airborne...regardless of swing speed, amongst other aspects, your timing won't be spot on just yet.

The type of club is more important though; you should opt for a game improvement iron, one with a bigger sweetspot that will be more forgiving for off-centre strikes. Take a look on some golf sites to get a better understanding of what type of clubs do what. eBay is a great place to pick up good clubs, but Kings Links have a lot of second hand sets for sale and will be willing to give you a test drive.

I wouldn't spend too much time at the range, the best practice is to get out there and play. About 80% of the game is played within 150 yards of the green, so if you can find a decent area to practice, get a load of balls and work on getting consistently close to a target from increasing distances. And work on your putting stroke. A lot. Lots of drills in golf mags to improve consistency. If you are willing to practice, you'll notice an improvement.

Golf Super Nerd.

Do you know if there's an American Golf shop near you? If there is, get yourself down there and get some advice from the guys instore. They'll take into account that you're basically a learner and will also take a look at your swing and determine what sort of weight of club, shaft, head would suit you best. They can be quite pricey though, so once you've got your recommendation, shop around. I'm sure that there are other golf shops would do the same for you, but it's only American Golf that I've experienced this with.

Yeah there is one and they have a practice net for you to try out clubs. I'll go and have a proper look up there cheers.

If you are a beginner, I'd go for regular shafts. This will help you to get the ball airborne...regardless of swing speed, amongst other aspects, your timing won't be spot on just yet.

The type of club is more important though; you should opt for a game improvement iron, one with a bigger sweetspot that will be more forgiving for off-centre strikes. Take a look on some golf sites to get a better understanding of what type of clubs do what. eBay is a great place to pick up good clubs, but Kings Links have a lot of second hand sets for sale and will be willing to give you a test drive.

I wouldn't spend too much time at the range, the best practice is to get out there and play. About 80% of the game is played within 150 yards of the green, so if you can find a decent area to practice, get a load of balls and work on getting consistently close to a target from increasing distances. And work on your putting stroke. A lot. Lots of drills in golf mags to improve consistency. If you are willing to practice, you'll notice an improvement.

Golf Super Nerd.

Yeah I've had a quick look at the used sets at the links but didn't really know what I was looking for. Done a bit of research and will speak to some people as well and get a set soon. The constant rain has somewhat limited the playing opportunities so far. Here's hoping that summer is just coming later in the year this time around.

I just hope I have the patience to keep on practicing as it can be a frustrating game!!

Do they have pitch and putt there? Aye we could play after work one night

A 36 hole beast on Bruntsfield Links.

You've never seen it? It's been there since the dawn of time apparently!

And the Golf Tavern and the Park Bar are within easy staggering distance. :checkit:

A 36 hole beast on Bruntsfield Links.

You've never seen it? It's been there since the dawn of time apparently!

And the Golf Tavern and the Park Bar are within easy staggering distance. :checkit:

Excellent you can get loads of cocktail pichers in there

Do we have to play 36 holes tho that will take hours

The Cobra Rep had a demonstration day at our club recently.

Apparently he had everyone's swing analysed before recommending a club for them. Great success so I'm told.

Only downside is that the Cobra drivers make a ridiculous sound when they are struck. The course sounds like a shooting alley now.

Guest glasgowdon
The Cobra Rep had a demonstration day at our club recently.

Apparently he had everyone's swing analysed before recommending a club for them. Great success so I'm told.

Only downside is that the Cobra drivers make a ridiculous sound when they are struck. The course sounds like a shooting alley now.

_39379391_shootingup203.jpg

• 2 weeks later...