The Golf Thread

Guest CAPSLOCK
MY BAG

Titleist 905r Driver 9.5 with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shaft.

Sonnartec S2.5 3 wood 15 degree Aldila NV shaft.

Sonnartec MD 17 degree hybrid Irod shaft.

Ping I5 irons 4-W

Ping Black Nickel Wedges 52, 56, 60.

Odyssey 2 Ball putter

Also back down to 4. Bonus.

My Bag

Taylor Made Men

Some people have hobbies and some people ask other people for ideas on what they can do with their time.

Golf is the new rock and roll. I once had an ace playing with the backing singer from Belle and Sebastian. I think it was the first hole but it might have been the second. Big fairway either way.

I played Craibstone in the rain a couple of weeks ago and agree it's in excellent condition. Scored 33 points (out in 20 back in 13). I did question their yardages on a couple of the par 3s though, (7th & 10th), went through the back twice without touching the green even after dropping a club due to the elevation!!

If you can't putt though you might struggle.

Aye - i played Craibstone for the first time last week and i must admit i had the same issue with the yardages on two different par threes than the ones you mention.

On the 6th (195 yrds) i had a 5 iron in my hands at the tee - judged by the yardage and by eyesight - until my playing partner hit a seven iron to the middle/back of the green (pin was front left). I promptly put my 5 back in the bag and his a seven iron to 5 feet - lipped out for birdie though, just for a change.

On the 12th (175 yrds) i hit a seven iron which was all over the pin the second it left the clubface. Imagine my disgust whern i walked up to the green to discover i was well past the pin and i had a 45 foot downhill putt...:ThumbsDown: Got down in two though, so cant complain.

Not convinced the yardages were 100% accurate on some of the par threes though if i'm honest.

Really nice wee course though and i agree the greens were excellent. 39 Stapleford points at first outing on it so i was fairly chuffed.

I bet you're sh!te at golf.

I am very comfortable with my sexuality.

I wouldn't play golf in case it turned me queer.

Plus the pastel coloured jumpers just wouldn't go with my hair. :laughing:

Where is best for lessons in and around aberdeen?

I've been playing for about 2 years now (i'm 23) and I just seem to be going downhill all the time.

Broke 100 a few times, got a 94 the last time I did it but I've been nowhere near it again.

I'm using mizuno zoids pro2 which my m8 seems to think they might be too hard a club for me to be trying to hit with.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

FORE!!

I've been playing for about 2 years now (i'm 23) and I just seem to be going downhill all the time.

Broke 100 a few times, got a 94 the last time I did it but I've been nowhere near it again.

I'm using mizuno zoids pro2 which my m8 seems to think they might be too hard a club for me to be trying to hit with.

FORE!!

In all honesty yer mates are probably correct. I play off of 4 and I got rid of my Mizuno MP60's which are probably easier to hit than the old T Zoids because I fealt that I was not consistant or good enough to hit the forged blades. I have gone back to Ping which are cavity backed irons and loving them.

I would imagine any PGA professional in the area should be able to help you improve quite quickly. The main thing is to get the basics right and you will greatly improve from there with a wee bit of patience and practice.

FORE!!

For lessons, I'd be tempted to try out Aspire. I practice there regularly, but the teaching facilities seem pretty good. There's also a short game practice facility, but I think you need to be a member. In conjunction with lessons, you should invest a lot of time practicing your short game. I'd say >75% of the game is played within 100 yards of the hole, so if you can improve your approach play and learn to control the ball, your scores will come tumbling down in no time.

For lessons, I'd be tempted to try out Aspire. I practice there regularly, but the teaching facilities seem pretty good. There's also a short game practice facility, but I think you need to be a member. In conjunction with lessons, you should invest a lot of time practicing your short game. I'd say >75% of the game is played within 100 yards of the hole, so if you can improve your approach play and learn to control the ball, your scores will come tumbling down in no time.

It's a very good set up out there at Aspire, but i've heard it can be a little too technical and they have the tendency to blind you with science until you have the "perfect swing", which if you're anything like me, will never happen.

I think your best bet is going up to somewhere like Hazlehead and getting a couple of hours of lessons with Colin Nelson - good guy and good professional, and he'll help you enough to improve from where you are now without trying to get you a swing like Tiger Woods.

I agree though Macca - short game is where it's at.

This week, same course, scored 41 (+6).

My putting is driving me up the ***king wall.

1st - Par 4 - 6 (3 putts)

2nd - Par 5 - 5 (2 putts)

3rd - Par 3 - 4 (2 putts)

4th - Par 5 - 6 (2 putts)

5th - Par 4 - 4 (2 putts)

6th - Par 3 - 4 (3 putts)

7th - Par 4 - 4 (2 putts)

8th - Par 3 - 3 (2 putts)

9th - Par 4 - 5 (2 putts)

Played 9 holes this morning +7 :angry: (see below). A magnificent 22 putts :blink: and a couple of average drives on the par 5s.

The last 5 holes were decent (#5 stroke index 1) but still missed 3 putts inside 10 feet for birdies

2nd - Par 5 - 7 (3 putts)

3rd - Par 3 - 3

4th - Par 5 - 7 (3 putts)

5th - Par 4 - 5 (3 putts)

6th - Par 3 - 3

7th - Par 4 - 4

8th - Par 3 - 3

9th - Par 4 - 4

Back to the drawing board :cry:

This week, same course, scored 41 (+6).

My putting is driving me up the ***king wall.

2nd - Par 5 - 5 (2 putts)

3rd - Par 3 - 4 (2 putts)

4th - Par 5 - 6 (2 putts)

5th - Par 4 - 4 (2 putts)

6th - Par 3 - 4 (3 putts)

7th - Par 4 - 4 (2 putts)

8th - Par 3 - 3 (2 putts)

9th - Par 4 - 5 (2 putts)

Are you missing really short Putts like? Or are you just giving yourself too much to do?

Are you missing really short Putts like? Or are you just giving yourself too much to do?

I missed 4 from 10 feet and in but what's worse is not even troubling the hole.

The 3 putt holes were genuine today but I'm more worried about not converting birdie chances.

All that said I feel like there's a good score on it's way.

I missed 4 from 10 feet and in but what's worse is not even troubling the hole.

The 3 putt holes were genuine today but I'm more worried about not converting birdie chances.

All that said I feel like there's a good score on it's way.

All short or misreads?

If it's misreads then all you can do is take more time about it. if they are short, stop being a fanny and hit the thing!

my putting has improved immensely just by taking a little more time over the whole thing.

All short or misreads?

If it's misreads then all you can do is take more time about it. if they are short, stop being a fanny and hit the thing!

my putting has improved immensely just by taking a little more time over the whole thing.

That's probably true enough. Need a more confident hit, a bit tentative....

Still got the cash though.

• 1 year later...

Had my first round of the year yesterday. To break myself in gently I played the Kittocks Course at St Andrews. At 6600 yards, it's considerably longer than what I'm used to, and with it being the first game of the year, the course being a beast and my legs just about falling off by the end, I was reasonably content shooting an 89. :crossfingers:

Also they're running a deal until the end of April where a fourball can play it for

Had my first round of the year yesterday. To break myself in gently I played the Kittocks Course at St Andrews. At 6600 yards, it's considerably longer than what I'm used to, and with it being the first game of the year, the course being a beast and my legs just about falling off by the end, I was reasonably content shooting an 89. :rolleyes:

Also they're running a deal until the end of April where a fourball can play it for