The Golf Thread

Massively well deserved victory by Smith. Overtook Woods' record winning score at St Andrews in doing so. The par save on 17 from a really awkward spot was genius and nerves of steel in equal measure. A bogey there would have brought Mcilroy (and as it turned out, Cameron Young) right back into it.

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Why you asking, MHD? 

Do you play? 

Im double digits these days, only started playing again a year ago. Was single digits when I was right in to it 15+ years ago 

Haven't played for a few years, my local course closed. I'm a bit shite, not sure I've even broke 100! ?

Yeah maybe Smith did deserve his Claret Jug today but I cannot help think Rory in his pomp breezes round St Andrews in 66 without breaking sweat and takes home the bacon.

He seemed to think a cautious approach would be the best policy, when in fact a fast start would have deflated the chasing pack and had him on easy street. But his stone cold putter gave the opposition hope and once Smith hit his straps around the turn, Rory wasn’t able to respond. 

On 7/17/2022 at 9:12 PM, maryhilldon said:

Haven't played for a few years, my local course closed. I'm a bit shite, not sure I've even broke 100! ?

My club announced last week they are dropping down to a 9 hole course from next season. Seems the owner is selling the land for houses - David fucking Murray.

On 7/17/2022 at 11:07 PM, sooth_stander said:

Yeah maybe Smith did deserve his Claret Jug today but I cannot help think Rory in his pomp breezes round St Andrews in 66 without breaking sweat and takes home the bacon.

He seemed to think a cautious approach would be the best policy, when in fact a fast start would have deflated the chasing pack and had him on easy street. But his stone cold putter gave the opposition hope and once Smith hit his straps around the turn, Rory wasn’t able to respond. 

Only got himself to blame. Putting was far too passive most of them dead weight rather than actually going for a few and being confident in holing the return. 

I’m sure old Rocket putting coach extraordinaire would agree if he was still here.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:51 PM, Sonoftherock said:

Some week for Queensland… incredible victory in state of origin, then Smith wins the open a few days later! 

Not really a fan of league, but the state of origin decider was one of the best sports contests I've seen for a long while. First few minutes were insane.

13 minutes ago, alscotoz said:

Not really a fan of league, but the state of origin decider was one of the best sports contests I've seen for a long while. First few minutes were insane.

I’m the same, but I always watch origin. One of the few Australian sporting occasions where there is a bit of proper hatred between the fans - love the passion! Wish they’d bring AFL state of origin back! That final match was fucking brilliant stuff… anyone who enjoys sports would have appreciated it as a spectacle.

• Upvote 1